2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
USMCWeatherMan

Lift!

Anyone have any experience or input on car lifts? I'll be looking to get one installed in my garage in the next several months. Now that the Mach isnt my DD anymore, it sits a lot.

So the lift will be two-fold: (1) Storage for the Mach when not driving it and (2) Be able to do my own maintenance on all my vehicles.

Ideally while the Mach is stored, I'd love to be able to park another vehicle underneath it. Right now I've got a '03 4Runner, but here in the next few years I want to grab up an F150.

So the lift will ideally be able to support parking something of that size underneath it.

Due to wanting to park underneath and using the lift for storage, I am looking at a 4 post lift.

I'm fortunate enough that the ceilings in my garage are 11.5ft high.

The two lifts I am eyeballing now are:

Atlas Garage Pro 8000 EXT-L

and the

Bendpak HD-7W

Both of these appear to be able to support lifting the vehicle that high and also have the width to support parking vehicles of that size underneath.

Anyone have any experience with either of these lifts, or can offer input on either of them....or have any other lift recommendations?

Thanks in advance
USMCWeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: Lift!

that might be cutting it seriously close depending on your setup. My uncle has 10' ceilings I think. He has a 4 post and putting 2 corvettes over eachother barely worked. He had to back his C5 on to the lift and put it at such a height the garage door went over the hood to full open (it cleared the hood by like 2"). If he ran the lift to the ceiling the garage door would have hit the front bumper. Depending on how deep the garage is with the Mach high enough to clear a truck will the garage door hit the lift itself when fully open?

Also if you park the suv/truck underneath the lift with the vehicle fully in the garage are you gonna be able to open the door to get out or is it gonna hit a post?

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

I've seen a few setups on YouTube where the garage door was tracked to go up closer to the ceiling. When they do this, they use a garage door opener that mounted on the side by the door. I'm not sure what the cost was, but I'm assuming a bit more than your typical garage door setup. Looks very much worth it when you have a lift. In the setups I've seen, it allowed more room and allowed them to have the door up as well as the car on top, etc.

I'm planning on building a new garage in the next few years and am going to install a lift (most likely 4 post).
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
HAEG
Heppasketties

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCWeatherMan View Post
Anyone have any experience or input on car lifts? I'll be looking to get one installed in my garage in the next several months. Now that the Mach isnt my DD anymore, it sits a lot.

So the lift will be two-fold: (1) Storage for the Mach when not driving it and (2) Be able to do my own maintenance on all my vehicles.

Ideally while the Mach is stored, I'd love to be able to park another vehicle underneath it. Right now I've got a '03 4Runner, but here in the next few years I want to grab up an F150.

So the lift will ideally be able to support parking something of that size underneath it.

Due to wanting to park underneath and using the lift for storage, I am looking at a 4 post lift.

I'm fortunate enough that the ceilings in my garage are 11.5ft high.

The two lifts I am eyeballing now are:

Atlas Garage Pro 8000 EXT-L

and the

Bendpak HD-7W

Both of these appear to be able to support lifting the vehicle that high and also have the width to support parking vehicles of that size underneath.

Anyone have any experience with either of these lifts, or can offer input on either of them....or have any other lift recommendations?

Thanks in advance
You need to speak with JDraper on the registry he can be reached on the Mach1 FB page. He has a lift he stores his car on and use's for service. Its in a standard garage not very tall but it works. On FB I think he's Jeff n Sue Draper. Or he might see your thread, but to be honest I was thinking this was a post about the car service like Uber. Although I guess that's a LYFT...
M1R Member #1829
2011 Shelby GT-500 Grabber Blue
W/SVT Performance Package
Born on Friday, 6-25-2010
Purchased 8-19-2010

2003 Zinc Yellow Auto I/UP (Build #8280 of 9652)
Born on Thursday, 7/17/03
Purchased 8-18-2003 first owner
Sold 8-19-2010 bought GT500
Purchased again 3-3-2017 fifth owner
Purchased for my wife to drive (but she knows I love the car)
HAEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

I installed this one https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...QaAiqQEALw_wcB over the winter, and I've been quite happy with it. My ceilings are right around 10', and there is still enough room to store my Mach and my 66 stacked, but it's close. With 11.5 feet, you may not get your 4runner and the Mach stacked. The Mach stock height is 53.5" (with the radio antenna removed) and the 4Runner is about 71". You need to add about 6-8" for the platform, and that puts you at 130-132", not including a garage door when opened. It will be very close. Measure carefully!

I use it regularly and it's performed well. Nice thing about the 4 post lifts is that you don't have to bolt them down.

They offer a jack setup for getting the wheels off the ramps, but it's pricey compared to what you can create yourself. I had a local machine shop make me a "U" shaped tray to go between the lifts and bought a pneumatic 5 ton bottle jack off of Northern tool. The combo cost me a fraction of what the ones for the lifts go for, and it works just as well.

You will need to have a forklift present for delivery, and having an engine hoist for assembly makes it much easier.

As mentioned by AB_Mach1, I did install a side mount garage door opener to give me more height. I also increased my track length for the door so that it just about scrapes the ceiling to maximize my room.
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1521507520553.jpg  
18 Ford Explorer XLT
17 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
16 Fusion SE AWD Ecoboost
10 Fusion SE V6
66 289 Mustang Hardtop Restomod
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

That looks a lot like the lift my uncle has, they’ve been happy with it.

I’d love to see more info on the jack set up

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
That looks a lot like the lift my uncle has, they’ve been happy with it.

I’d love to see more info on the jack set up
Ask and ye shall receive. The U-Shaped metal plate is made of 3/16" steel plate, and sits on flanges built into each of the ramps. It can go in upside down or rightside up depending on how and what I want to jack up. I have a 5 ton pneumatic bottle jack that I put into the U shaped plate to jack up cars. The plate can be positioned anywhere along the length of the lift.
Attached Thumbnails
20180712_164406_resized(2).jpg   20180712_164458_resized(2).jpg  
18 Ford Explorer XLT
17 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
16 Fusion SE AWD Ecoboost
10 Fusion SE V6
66 289 Mustang Hardtop Restomod
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #8
USMCWeatherMan

Thanks for the input guys. Hoping to get a full size SUV or pick-up underneath is probably a little wishful thinking on my point. I'd definitely go with a high lift garage door opener.

It wouldn't be the end of the world not getting a truck underneath... maybe more reason to add another Stang to the stable : ).

I'll keep this thread updated whichever route I go. Thanks again for the info. I'm just totally stoked to even be in a position to be adding a lift to my garage.

Also another reason for a 4 post lift is it helps to reduce issues with not being able to open doors. Something that always irritated me about the 2 post lifts I'd use at the auto hobby shops on base when I was active duty still.

I think the jacks they sell to lift a car on a 4 post lift are called scissor jacks... I'd love to get one but they are pricey. Might just go with a jack tray and some bottle jacks to start with like you have.
USMCWeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:12 AM   #9
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDraper View Post
I installed this one https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...QaAiqQEALw_wcB over the winter, and I've been quite happy with it. My ceilings are right around 10', and there is still enough room to store my Mach and my 66 stacked, but it's close. With 11.5 feet, you may not get your 4runner and the Mach stacked. The Mach stock height is 53.5" (with the radio antenna removed) and the 4Runner is about 71". You need to add about 6-8" for the platform, and that puts you at 130-132", not including a garage door when opened. It will be very close. Measure carefully!

I use it regularly and it's performed well. Nice thing about the 4 post lifts is that you don't have to bolt them down.

They offer a jack setup for getting the wheels off the ramps, but it's pricey compared to what you can create yourself. I had a local machine shop make me a "U" shaped tray to go between the lifts and bought a pneumatic 5 ton bottle jack off of Northern tool. The combo cost me a fraction of what the ones for the lifts go for, and it works just as well.

You will need to have a forklift present for delivery, and having an engine hoist for assembly makes it much easier.

As mentioned by AB_Mach1, I did install a side mount garage door opener to give me more height. I also increased my track length for the door so that it just about scrapes the ceiling to maximize my room.

Very nice setup! Great idea with the U stock and bottle jack. I bet that works great.

IG: @ab_mach1
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote