2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > RACING Discussions > Road Course & Autocross

Road Course & Autocross Post info about SCCA and Road Course Racing.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
TwinCam

Land Speed Racing with Mach

Anyone done any land speed racing with their Mach or other Mustang. I want to run the Mach at a meet later in the year and wondered if there were any "have to dos" (excluding safety items) before attempting WOT high-speed runs. The track is at an old airport and is 1 1/2 miles long and 200 ft wide - no curves or turns. I plan on running in the stock class, which would allow top speeds in the 130 to 140 range.

A custom tune for the car is probably required because I have heard of some cars running lean from the factory. I would think I would want to run a tad on the rich side to keep the engine cool. Anything else?

JLT True Ram Air Intake Kit
Flowmaster Mufflers

DynoJet results: 246 HP / 258 FT-LBS SAE, BONE STOCK

currently own: fully restored (13 years in the making) '69 Camaro, 500 hp Procharged 350, Tremec TKO; Shown in Hot Rod Magazine 11/03 (page 50) visit my website at http://www.geocities.com/gheatly for pics.

previously owned: 1991 GT 5-sp hatchback, '91 GT 5-sp convertible

Hey, I can sit on the fence if I want to!
TwinCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
Nekasrof
Hillclimb Extraodinaire

Re: Land Speed Racing with Mach

I run regularly at 130 or 140. The only thing I can say is the car is great when there are no dips in the road and you don't have to turn too much. It really wasn't designed to be in curves at those speeds so if you're really considering cornering at that speed, better do some suspension work. You'll figure that out the first time you have to let up in a curve for one reason or another and you feel the back end come up and get WAY loose. Be careful. Straight runs, awesome.

Also, I'll run up to 135 to 140 in 4th gear and then shift to 5th. Typically not looking at the tach or anything else but the road but I think you'll be at around 6500rpms when you're at 140-142. Haven't put the car over 142 yet. My '92 topped 150 and I really want to do it with this one. Not enough open road and you run out quickly at that speed.

Motor + Procharger + driver = Baddest hillclimbing Mach 1 in the country
Mustang dyno: 538hp/481tq @ 14lbs/19deg timing
DynoJet comparison: 600hp/539tq

Looking for more hillclimbers!
Nekasrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:42 AM   #3
MA-MACH1
Thread Killer

For a stock car you wont need a tune for 1 1/2 mile runs - a tune might make you faster though!
MA-MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 12:08 AM   #4
Lonestar 7

Go ahead and Mod her out. When you start its hard to stop the Mach is the Bomb and evry Mod just adds more power and speed to the car. Good luck! Hopefully one day I will take my mach to the Salt flats and see her run 200 plus thats my goal and I have read about a Gt mustang that hit 200 so I think this is a realistic goal.
Lonestar 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
Lonestar 7

Talking Re: Land Speed Racing with Mach

Go ahead and Mod her out. When you start its hard to stop the Mach is the Bomb and every Mod just adds more power and speed to the car. Good luck! Hopefully one day I will take my Mach to the Salt flats and see her run 200 plus thats my goal and I have read about a GT Mustang that hit 200 so I think this is a realistic goal.
Lonestar 7 is offline   Reply With Quote