2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Body, Chassis & Interior

Body, Chassis & Interior Body, Chassis and Interior mods/discussions

Old 05-01-2016, 02:38 AM   #1
TKat13
Mach-T

How to fix a window Motor stuck in the UP Position

We all know that mustangs have an issue where the windows get stuck in the 'UP' position. In July of 2010 I had the same thing happen to my Mach; fixed it with a total of, well, Time and no money. Listen closely, NO MONEY! It is 2016 and that motor has not failed since. I took pictures but somehow lost them.

As Luck with have it, my daughter's 2004 GT Vert had the same issue few weeks ago, this time I remembered to take pictures.

I did not take pictures of the entire process, meaning pulling door panels, etc.
Step 1: pull the door panel, pop off tweeter pod, remove door pull, two screws under the plastic pull handle insert, 1 push pin in the side of the door panel toward the hinge,
Step 2: remove the 3 or 4 bolts that hold in the motor; Tap on the motor and it will most likely pop off, once it is popped off, test the motor by pushing the switch, I bet it spins.
Step 3: Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the motor.
Step 4: Remove the plate where the gear is; I think it was something like 4 bolts.
Step 5: Pull the plate off, it will be tight at first but it does slide right off.
Step 6: When it slides off this is what the part will look like:

Step 7: Pull the plastic gear off, with your hand under the external gear; the reason is because the external gear will fall out. The two are just pushed together. Once that is done you will have this view:

Step 8: You should see the issue immediately; those rubber shapes should be 'circles'. The motor gets stuck on the area that has flattened. And, you cannot buy this part, I bet all the reman motors just replace this one part but I cannot find a source for it anywhere. You will also notice three rubber stops that are still in perfect shape, those are there to stop the motor in the down position but never get used as they are still in perfect shape.
Step 9: You might be thinking, WTH, I cannot fix this... but slow down grasshopper, we have a simple trick. You want the window stops to use a new surface as stops; so we will simple remove the rubber piece, flip it, and then position it to where the whole circles are placed in the locations where the flat ones are. The Down stops get to use the old circles but will be using the undamaged side of the stop. See the result here:

Step 10: Now put some fresh grease in there to prevent any sticking and re-assemble in the reverse order.
Step 11: Install in the door and enjoy a working motor for another 5-10 years. Maybe by then we will have a rubber stop source.

All the nay sayers out there; remember that I did this same thing to my Mach about 6 years ago and it is still working like a champ.

Total work time: 30 minutes.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
311-420
Can't be bridled

Re: How to fix a window Motor stuck in the UP Position

Excellent write-up. Thanks for sharing that.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
shadowmaker

Re: How to fix a window Motor stuck in the UP Position

If all you do if flip that piece, maybe that is all the re-manf do as well. Maybe thats why you cant find a source to this piece.
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote