2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 03-07-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
SouthKak_Mach1

Lots of vibration @ idle with Kooks long tube headers

Just installed Kooks long tube headers & catted X-pipe paired with my Borla Stinger catback that was already on my '04 Mach 1 (Auto). Shortly after install I took the car out for a drive and noticed a lot of vibration at idle while sitting at traffic lights and stop signs. Is this normal with long tubes? This is my first car with long tube headers.
2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (DSG), Borla Stingers Catback, C&L CAI, SCT X4 Custom Tune, Black Chrome Rovos Durban Wheels (18x9 F, 18x10.5 R) on Nitto NT05s (275/35/18 F, 295/35/18 R), Pioneer AVH-4200NEX Receiver, MM C/C Plates, Rolled Rear Fenders, Eibach Sportlines/Struts/Shocks, Raxiom Smoked Taillights/Third Brake Light/LED Bulbs, Clear Headlights w/ Black Housing, Polished Aluminum Interior Accents, 30% Window Tint, Tinted Side Markers, Carbon Fiber Valve Stem Caps, Black Shorty Antenna
SouthKak_Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
gfong
Greg Fonger

Re: Lots of vibration @ idle with Kooks long tube headers

What type of vibration are you talking experiencing and where do you hear or feel it most? Metal on metal vibration, shifter vibrating, plastic on dash vibrating? Engine rattling? Do you have the entire exhaust on, what other changes if any did you do to the car at the same time? Curious?

I have the SLP system and I know after a few years mine had shifted underneath the car and was hitting the frame and making a heck of a sound which kinda felt like vibrations. Had it looked at and they realigned the exhaust and all was good.

Maybe be a wild card but after tranny work they did not tighten my shifter all the way and it rattled like a son of a gun. Just adding this as it is probably something that is just not snug enough somewhere in the chain.
gfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

time to go underneath and look for something rubbing or a loose clamp

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:07 AM   #4
hotford

^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^
2011 Shelby GT 500
hotford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:42 AM   #5
SouthKak_Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfong View Post
What type of vibration are you talking experiencing and where do you hear or feel it most? Metal on metal vibration, shifter vibrating, plastic on dash vibrating? Engine rattling? Do you have the entire exhaust on, what other changes if any did you do to the car at the same time? Curious?

I have the SLP system and I know after a few years mine had shifted underneath the car and was hitting the frame and making a heck of a sound which kinda felt like vibrations. Had it looked at and they realigned the exhaust and all was good.

Maybe be a wild card but after tranny work they did not tighten my shifter all the way and it rattled like a son of a gun. Just adding this as it is probably something that is just not snug enough somewhere in the chain.
Feels like entire car is vibrating when the car is in drive while idling at a stop light/sign (Automatic). I can feel it in the steering wheel and seats. Doesn't vibrate much when the car is put park at idle. Only installed Kooks long tubes and Kooks catted X-pipe. Borla Stinger catback was already on the car.
2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (DSG), Borla Stingers Catback, C&L CAI, SCT X4 Custom Tune, Black Chrome Rovos Durban Wheels (18x9 F, 18x10.5 R) on Nitto NT05s (275/35/18 F, 295/35/18 R), Pioneer AVH-4200NEX Receiver, MM C/C Plates, Rolled Rear Fenders, Eibach Sportlines/Struts/Shocks, Raxiom Smoked Taillights/Third Brake Light/LED Bulbs, Clear Headlights w/ Black Housing, Polished Aluminum Interior Accents, 30% Window Tint, Tinted Side Markers, Carbon Fiber Valve Stem Caps, Black Shorty Antenna
Old 03-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
gfong
Greg Fonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthKak_Mach1 View Post
Feels like entire car is vibrating when the car is in drive while idling at a stop light/sign (Automatic)
Yup as the bois above me mentioned, time to get it on a hoist and check for loose clamps and fittings and clearances. As others stated it is probably rubbing or against the frame somewhere. Good luck and keep us in formed.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
SouthKak_Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfong View Post
Yup as the bois above me mentioned, time to get it on a hoist and check for loose clamps and fittings and clearances. As others stated it is probably rubbing or against the frame somewhere. Good luck and keep us in formed.
Found a loose clamp after checking the exhaust, but still getting vibration while idling in drive. Could motor mounts possibly cause vibration after installing long tube headers? Car doesn't have vibration while idling in park though. Engine RPM seems to be a factor too. I noticed that vibration is worse at the lower the engine RPM, hence why the vibration is worse while idling in drive vs park.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #8
gfong
Greg Fonger

Not sure man, hope someone else chimes in on this. I still think it is hitting the frame somewhere. Did you check all the hangers and clearances? It would only take a bit of the exhaust hitting the frame or anything to make a vibration. At idle there is no stress on the exhaust so it could be resting against the frame or when driving or revving it up, the exhaust moves a little with the car. It may sound silly but just sitting in the car could make the exhaust hit the frame if it is that close or not aligned properly. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #9
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

did the catback perhaps move and the over the axle section is vibrating on the frame rail?

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:48 AM   #10
SouthKak_Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
did the catback perhaps move and the over the axle section is vibrating on the frame rail?
Yeah, it appears that catback did move after further inspection. Clamps were a little loose.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #11
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthKak_Mach1 View Post
Yeah, it appears that catback did move after further inspection. Clamps were a little loose.
They'll probably loosen up again. Might have to give them a tack. I had to for the exact same reason.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote