2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 09-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #76
jwg

Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

well i understand that the lower gears help accelaration but do you think the time saved by not shifting as much would make up enough to at least keep the mid 13? seams like shifting at 70-73mph n traping 76 is killing my time.

does this make since to anyone or am i just crazy?

Last edited by jwg; 09-04-2009 at 02:20 AM.
jwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #77
Scott McClure
Mach1 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwg View Post
well i understand that the lower gears help accelaration but do you think the time saved by not shifting as much would make up enough to at least keep the mid 13? seams like shifting at 70-73mph n traping 76 is killing my time.
No. 4.10's or better yet 4.30's and a good tire and hello mid 12's.

2003 Mach 1 Whipple 2.3 718 rwhp 735 rwtq @25 psi SOLD
Scott McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:26 AM   #78
jwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McClure View Post
No. 4.10's or better yet 4.30's and a good tire and hello mid 12's.
a full second out of just going 4.30? ****! ok ill try it.

thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 03:46 AM   #79
jwg

fact of the mater is guys, why not? i mean everyone has done 4.10/4.30/4.56. my first thought was to go with 4.56 im just sayin if you run a taller gear na/nos/boost y wouldnt you want to less gears. i might be a lil old skool but the 2 speed glide made me lotsa cash on the street with my trucks. just saying im wrong n low gears r right is not enough for me. i see your posted times n your mods, n for the most part you guys r dam good. respect to all you guys!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:29 AM   #80
Lonestar7

Cool Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Blown you want 3.73 or 3.89. Drag race you want 4.10 or 4.56.

Mach on,

LS
Lonestar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #81
Scott McClure
Mach1 member

Quote:
a full second out of just going 4.30? ****! ok ill try it.

thanks
And a good tire.

2003 Mach 1 Whipple 2.3 718 rwhp 735 rwtq @25 psi SOLD
Scott McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #82
tmhutch
4v>3v>2v

Quote:

does this make since to anyone or am i just crazy?
So you want to go through the traps (on an eighth mile track) in second gear?

If you only need 3 more mph (76 as stated above) than the easiest thing to do would be to raise your rev limiter 300 RPM with the 3.55 gear. If you were absolutely determined to drop gears, you wouldnt need to go all the way down to a 3.08, a 3.42 would do it.

The reason I would not go to the expense of dropping a gear is because the 3.55's are marginal for getting the car launched. Even the 3.42 would make it worse, the 3.08 would be rediculous. Not to mention a quarter mile track would just be embarrasing. A modular is not a 5.0.

The majority of the quarter mile improvement from gears is a result of a better launch and 60'. If you went with some 4.56's your holeshot would be killer and you would run through the traps near the top of 3rd gear. You'd wonder why you didnt do it sooner.
tmhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #83
jwg

yea that was the idea to finish 1/8th n second, but i have since made up my mind that ill go 4.30. was just thinkin taller might be cool specialy out on the highway, if it didnt kill the strip times. being able to run 4th out farther than anyone would expect, but would it render 5th useless. im wondering now would 3.08 be too much for highway use in 5th cruzing 70, is it turning too slow at 1100rpm for a extended time?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #84
tmhutch
4v>3v>2v

The vehicle doesnt have enough power run 4th out with a 3.08, and 5th would be un-useable. Again, not enough power/torque.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #85
Apollo240
12's

Quote:
yea that was the idea to finish 1/8th n second, but i have since made up my mind that ill go 4.30. was just thinkin taller might be cool specialy out on the highway, if it didnt kill the strip times. being able to run 4th out farther than anyone would expect, but would it render 5th useless. im wondering now would 3.08 be too much for highway use in 5th cruzing 70, is it turning too slow at 1100rpm for a extended time?
Keep in mind, gears KILL your top end. If you got next to someone with the same mods or even a tad bit more(ex a ported intake) they may get a slight jump pending what rpm you start at and even if that happens its just like fishing...reel em in. They'll keep shifting, your keep pulling.

Current: Ls1 Corvette
Apollo240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #86
Monster Mach

would changing my gears to 3.73's be worth it?? i have a spare set in my basement just sitting there
Old 11-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #87
bob-ay

After reading through still a little confused with the mixed opinions...My car is a daily driver, plan on getting my exhaust done this summer and other that the RAI I have no other bolt ons.... My question is which gears would be most benificial for someone who drives thier car everyday... Do not want to lower the fuel mileage to much....
Tastefully modified.

Custom FORD Emblems For Sale
Send me a PM (Black,Torch Red,DSG)
bob-ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #88
WhiteautoMach

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreefer View Post

Auto

top speed w/ 3.55, @ 5789 rpm = 178 mph
top speed w/ 3.73, @ 5775 rpm = 169 mph
top speed w/ 4.10, @ 5784 rpm = 154 mph
top speed w/ 4.30, @ 5791 rpm = 147 mph
top speed w/ 4.56, @ 5765 rpm = 138 mph
Is that with the converter locked? I think with the car floored the converter will be unlocked causing a lot more rpm and less speed. Anybody have the nuts to test this at top speed?
'03 Automatic. No silencer, K&N FIPK, 3450# race weight, drag radials, cat back, custom tune, alum. driveshaft, intake spacer, raised scoop, underdrive pulleys, larger subframe connectors, synthetic engine oil, removed front sway bar, battery to trunk, 2.06 60', 12.99 @ 107.4
WhiteautoMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #89
dark-knight

i love my 4.56 gears. and my cars my daily driver and it does me just fine. 5th gear really doesnt do much except keep the noise down while cruising around. and WOT in 1-4 gears is definitely a kick in the a**
dark-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #90
JeromeMach1

Quote:
After reading through still a little confused with the mixed opinions...My car is a daily driver, plan on getting my exhaust done this summer and other that the RAI I have no other bolt ons.... My question is which gears would be most benificial for someone who drives thier car everyday... Do not want to lower the fuel mileage to much....
4.30s for a stock 3650. That is what I have in mine and it is a daily driver. Even back and forth to Vegas (300 miles each way) many times.

Jerome
Custom cams by NASVT
Nazty PSR
SAE 420rwhp
SAE 387rwt
1.56 60ft
11.44ET
122.1mph
1700 DA
JeromeMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #91
hendrixinthe70s
the red project

man idk what gears i want to get for my 03 mach, 373s or 410s, im gana use my mach for cruises, autocrossing, and goin out on the weekends but idk wat gears i should go with, sum1 wana help me out?.

03 mach1
full bassani exauhst
jlt rai
sportline lowering kit
hendrixinthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #92
04machwon22
FOR SALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo240 View Post
Keep in mind, gears KILL your top end. If you got next to someone with the same mods or even a tad bit more(ex a ported intake) they may get a slight jump pending what rpm you start at and even if that happens its just like fishing...reel em in. They'll keep shifting, your keep pulling.
that might help with street racing have stock gears but not in a quarter mile.... someone that can shift with 4.56s or 4.30s is gonna burn ya at the the track
04machwon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #93
jbrad88
Original Owner

4:10's for mine. Love the gears...

Had the gearset from my old car, would go to 4:30's if I had to have bought them new...

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines
Eibach Sway Bars
jbrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #94
rsnider

Re: WOT in a 4R70W. I thought I might try the Movaje Mile or the Texas mile with my auto Mach 1 but the speed shop said NO! They claimed the trans won't hold up under WOT. It thought I'd go straight to the source to I emailed a close friend who works at Roush but is retired from Ford Driveline. This is his response with names and numbers deleted. This only concerns WOT and not a 3-4 shift at WOT. Start at the bottom.

XXXXXXXXXX
Powertrain Engineering
Roush Industries
313-XXX-XXXX

Yep,
4R70 and 4R75 are mechanically identical but some components are of higher torque capacity.
Tell your friend to enjoy his drive
XX

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:14 PM, XXXXXXXXX

XXX, thanks for the info. Assuming that 4R75=4R70 for this discussion. I'm just not as familiar with the badging.
Regards,

XXXXXXXX
Powertrain Engineering
Roush Industries
313-XXX-XXXX

Hi XXXXX,
the "never" drive at WOT in OD is a carryover concern from "WAY BACK WHEN" at the beginning when 4R75 was called AOD, and it had a lube issue for the gear set - that was corrected and doubly verified to be cured (multiple times) each time a new manager showed up and had heard the same concern. When XXXX XXXX was the manager, XXXX XXXXX was also concerned and they convinced themselves (and the rest of Ford ATEO) that there was indeed NO issue with running at high speed in 4th gear.
Just do NOT downshift to 2nd gear at high speed from 4th - this manuver will indeed cause major damage (this was a calibration error by a hard-headed calibrator who insisted on not allowing a downshift at high speed, despite the fact that the OWC would self destruct) - no I won't tell you who he was, but I'll bet you do know him.
BOTTOM LINE
It's OK to drive high speed in 4th.
Take care,
XXX

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:38 PM, XXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi XXX, enjoy receiving the snippets. I forward them on to my brother in Winchester Tn. who has a plastics business that supplies into the industry.
How is your son doing?
A friend of mine has a 2003 Mustang with a 4.6L and subject trans. He had a performance shop do some work on the trans and put in a high rpm stall convertor. He was advised (with emphasis) to NEVER drive wide open in overdrive. The shop said the overdrive was meant for expressway cruising not max speed runs.
My friend would love to see what the top end of his car would be but fears going any faster than 3rd gear allows.
Is this an issue with the 4R that your aware of from your days in trans?
Thanks.
Regards,
rsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #95
jonkolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnider View Post
Re: WOT in a 4R70W. I thought I might try the Movaje Mile or the Texas mile with my auto Mach 1 but the speed shop said NO! They claimed the trans won't hold up under WOT. It thought I'd go straight to the source to I emailed a close friend who works at Roush but is retired from Ford Driveline. This is his response with names and numbers deleted. This only concerns WOT and not a 3-4 shift at WOT. Start at the bottom.

XXXXXXXXXX
Powertrain Engineering
Roush Industries
313-XXX-XXXX

Yep,
4R70 and 4R75 are mechanically identical but some components are of higher torque capacity.
Tell your friend to enjoy his drive
XX

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:14 PM, XXXXXXXXX

XXX, thanks for the info. Assuming that 4R75=4R70 for this discussion. I'm just not as familiar with the badging.
Regards,

XXXXXXXX
Powertrain Engineering
Roush Industries
313-XXX-XXXX

Hi XXXXX,
the "never" drive at WOT in OD is a carryover concern from "WAY BACK WHEN" at the beginning when 4R75 was called AOD, and it had a lube issue for the gear set - that was corrected and doubly verified to be cured (multiple times) each time a new manager showed up and had heard the same concern. When XXXX XXXX was the manager, XXXX XXXXX was also concerned and they convinced themselves (and the rest of Ford ATEO) that there was indeed NO issue with running at high speed in 4th gear.
Just do NOT downshift to 2nd gear at high speed from 4th - this manuver will indeed cause major damage (this was a calibration error by a hard-headed calibrator who insisted on not allowing a downshift at high speed, despite the fact that the OWC would self destruct) - no I won't tell you who he was, but I'll bet you do know him.
BOTTOM LINE
It's OK to drive high speed in 4th.
Take care,
XXX

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:38 PM, XXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi XXX, enjoy receiving the snippets. I forward them on to my brother in Winchester Tn. who has a plastics business that supplies into the industry.
How is your son doing?
A friend of mine has a 2003 Mustang with a 4.6L and subject trans. He had a performance shop do some work on the trans and put in a high rpm stall convertor. He was advised (with emphasis) to NEVER drive wide open in overdrive. The shop said the overdrive was meant for expressway cruising not max speed runs.
My friend would love to see what the top end of his car would be but fears going any faster than 3rd gear allows.
Is this an issue with the 4R that your aware of from your days in trans?
Thanks.
Regards,
I am very surprised that there was no mention about the harmonic driveshaft balancing issue at high speeds with the automatic mach/police interceptor. It is/was a very well known issue! I'm sure that you already know that all 03-04 auto Mach's/Police Interceptors are electronically limited to 127MPH. As far as I know, this prevents a WOT shift into OD, and it also protects the driveshaft from breaking due to excessive RPM's and causing major damage! I disabled my 127MPH speed limiter and drove my auto Mach up to 137MPH on GPS, but I could start to hear the resonance so I backed off!!! I'm really glad that I did because I recently had a driveshaft failure in my 2011 V6 at 135MPH! It really caused a lot of damage to the car and I would have cried if that had happened to my Mach! As far as the top speed of the auto, all I can say is that it gets to 130MPH in a heartbeat (3'rd gear), but once it shifts into OD there is not much acceleration because it's like running in 5'th gear with a manual mach. (They toped out at 151 in 4'th) I know mine hit 137, and there was probably more left, but exactly how much more I don't know because I started going up hill, heard the driveshaft, then I backed off. Go to youtube and search "Mustang V6 driveshaft failure", before you run your Mach faster then 130!

Stock Mach 1, only 7000 miles, K&N air filter, Yellow top Optima battery, Viper 791xv 2-way interactive alarm with remote start and nite-lite autolamp system, Ford automatic dimming rearview mirror with outside temp and compass display.
jonkolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #96
rsnider

Thanks for the info. This is actually the first I've heard about driveshaft problems. Way back when I was told the top speed limiter was lower in the auto due to the torque converter balooning at high rpm. I have a locking billet 4k stall conveter now.
rsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #97
jonkolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnider View Post
Thanks for the info. This is actually the first I've heard about driveshaft problems. Way back when I was told the top speed limiter was lower in the auto due to the torque converter balooning at high rpm. I have a locking billet 4k stall conveter now.
No problem, I have heard that one too, especially on older cars.

Stock Mach 1, only 7000 miles, K&N air filter, Yellow top Optima battery, Viper 791xv 2-way interactive alarm with remote start and nite-lite autolamp system, Ford automatic dimming rearview mirror with outside temp and compass display.
jonkolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #98
768MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith.red.mach1 View Post
What performance gain would our cars see if adding 4.10 gears in say a 60 roll race on the freeway?

Unfortunately most of my races happen when I am commuting. I know people talk about how strong the LS1 cars are up top, but I have an amazing record against those even past 100 mph races. I don't know if the chip helped in this area that much.

I used to have 4.10s in my 97 Cobra, I know it helped when 1/4 dragging but wasn't sure if the affect was as great on 60 punch races.
I was wondering the same thing?
Hooker Maxflows - SLP Tips
Pat G Tune

366rwhp/375rwtq

2003 MACH 1- SOLD

"The Infantry doesn't change, we're the only arm of the military where the weapon is the man himself"
-C.T. Shortis
768MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #99
tmhutch
4v>3v>2v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith.red.mach1 View Post
What performance gain would our cars see if adding 4.10 gears in say a 60 roll race on the freeway?

Unfortunately most of my races happen when I am commuting. I know people talk about how strong the LS1 cars are up top, but I have an amazing record against those even past 100 mph races. I don't know if the chip helped in this area that much.

I used to have 4.10s in my 97 Cobra, I know it helped when 1/4 dragging but wasn't sure if the affect was as great on 60 punch races.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 768MPH View Post
I was wondering the same thing?

For a bolt on Mach 1, none. You'd lose "performance". From a dig alot of damage can be done with a 4.10 but on the street a 3.55 will own it.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #100
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhutch View Post
For a bolt on Mach 1, none. You'd lose "performance". From a dig alot of damage can be done with a 4.10 but on the street a 3.55 will own it.
I've tested and proven this, but this crowd will never believe it until they match up with another mach with stock gears and get pulled.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote