2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 03-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
LXS

Popping outta 2nd gear and 1st gear issue...

So back in early January I took my tranny to get rebuilt, even posted up about it. Anyways, I installed it with a brand new Clutch Masters set up, new pilot bearing and Timken TOB. It was sooo smooth to drive and felt amazing! Well after about 300ish street and freeway miles, it started to pop out of 2nd gear on deceleration. Also, when at a complete stop....or slowing down to an almost complete stop.....I can feel the gears in the tranny still moving as I put the shifter into 1st gear. I can feel it "grab" when going into 1st, it'll grind a little, and on rare occasion, it just flat out won't go into gear! I'll have to put it into 2nd gear first, then it'll go into first gear without issue. I ended up parking the Mach for about a month because it frustrated me really bad and I didn't have the time to drop the tranny again and take it in. I used a "back up" car that I had, but ended up parking that one due to it needing brakes, so I brought the Mach back out a week ago. I'm on school vacation starting today, so I'll have more then enough time to work on the Mach!

Anyway, I called the shop that did the rebuild for me and they're more then willing to take a look at my car to see what it's doing and honoring the warranty.....but only for it popping out of 2nd gear. The guy I spoke with said the 1st gear issue means that there is still power going into the tranny from the motor, which is causing the gears to keep spinning while at a complete stop! He asked if I had an aftermatket shifter, and if so, that that was my problem. I told him yes I've got an after market shifter (MGW), BUT I did reinstall the stock shifter and still had the same problem! He then went on to say it could be a worn out pilot bearing, a bad clutch or clutch adjustment. I installed a brand spanking new clutch, pilot bearing and TOB, so I really don't believe that's the issue. I told him all this and he became very vague and seemed like he really didn't want to answer/talk about it anymore.

I'm (obviously) no trans expert here, but what do you guys think? Is he telling me the truth about my 1st gear and it not being "their problem," or is he just trying to avoid fixing something else...which shouldn't really matter because it is still under warranty! Thanks for any and all input!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
t45 swap (BEST decision of my life!!!)
Don't fear the gear!

I'm not a real mechanic, I just play one online...
LXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
thebestdj07

Re: Popping outta 2nd gear and 1st gear issue...

my 3650 i got used and second would spit out when letting the clutch out. all the rest were ok. i upgraded to the new 1-2 shift fork and all was fine. could have a bent fork.
thebestdj07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
LXS

Re: Popping outta 2nd gear and 1st gear issue...

Actually it pops out when holding the clutch pedal down. I noticed it does it when I'm below 2500rpms (when I'm slowing down). There has been a few times where it's popped out as soon as I push the clutch in. Tranny problems....good times!!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
t45 swap (BEST decision of my life!!!)
Don't fear the gear!

I'm not a real mechanic, I just play one online...
LXS is offline   Reply With Quote