2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Fluid Systems (coolant, oil, fuel)

Old 08-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
morocco36

03 Mach 1 Overheating

Hey guys, small issue, I have an 03 Mach 1 that overheats light to light and in traffic sometimes. The coolant system seems to be working and when she's moving it's not an issue. However I noticed the fuse for the fan assembly was blown. Changed out the entire fan assembly, the corresponding fuse, and checked it using the AC after doing a new thermostat and filling and burping the system (Fan kicked on then using the AC). No leaks, no air in coolant system, still overheating in traffic.... I personally don't think the fan is kicking on when it should... So I bought a coolant temperature sensor and am currently trying to get that out. She's tucked back in there, tried a clawfoot socket but it keeps slipping. Next thoughts were cut the plastic piece off with a dremel and use a regular socket after some heat.

I was wondering if any of you have experienced this problem and what fixed it. I haven't replaced the water pump either but my main concern is getting this Radiator Fan working properly so I can put around town when I'm not mashing the pedal. Appreciate any thoughts you may have.

TJ
Attached Thumbnails
Capture1.jpg  

Last edited by morocco36; 08-03-2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Add Image
morocco36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: 03 Mach 1 Overheating

do you have a tuner or OBD2 bluetooth or anything that will display actual coolant temps? If so I'd recommend grabbing one of those first.

I believe the stock low speed turn on temp for the fan is ~210. With the AC in the OFF position let the car idle up to 210 or so where the fan kicks on (this will be low speed). Pay attention to the fan and then turn on the AC, very shortly after the fan should kick up to high speed.

also - are you following the proper burping procedure - ie filling through the crossover plug? You will NOT get all the air off if you don't. It sounds like you're probably ok if it's only doing it at idle.

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
machdude

You can get a deep socket over the sensor to remove it although I forgot what size it is. Did you recheck the fan fuse to see if it’s blown again? If it is you may have another issue, also as mentioned make sure it’s properly burped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: K&N drop filter, Full Mac exhaust with Lt headers, 4:10 gears, eibach sport line springs, tubular cross member, steeda short throw
machdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
morocco36

Hey guys, yea following the right Burping procedure, I'm pretty sure I don't have air in the system. What I'm not totally sure about is if the Fan is kicking on based on coolant temps. I did however just replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor though on the crossover. I'll see about grabbing a bluetooth reader so I can see what the computer is seeing in real time.... Basically hoping the sensor will be the final fix, I haven't had a chance to burp the system again and button everything back up, but will do that this week and test. If the fan kicks on at idle great... If not I'll grab a bluetooth reader so I can verify good suggestion!

Has anyone else had an issue with the fan in the past not kicking on?
Old 08-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
morocco36

Quick Update: It was in fact the Coolant Temp Sensor causing the fan to not kick on. Once I replaced that, we let the car idle up to temp, thermostat opened up and fan kicked on low. Car dropped back down and the fan cycled off... We are in business baby! Going to start fixing small things myself... and a friend is going to help me flush the Trans and Diff and get things all cleaned up.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #6
machdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by morocco36 View Post
Quick Update: It was in fact the Coolant Temp Sensor causing the fan to not kick on. Once I replaced that, we let the car idle up to temp, thermostat opened up and fan kicked on low. Car dropped back down and the fan cycled off... We are in business baby! Going to start fixing small things myself... and a friend is going to help me flush the Trans and Diff and get things all cleaned up.

Awesome, good news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: K&N drop filter, Full Mac exhaust with Lt headers, 4:10 gears, eibach sport line springs, tubular cross member, steeda short throw
machdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by morocco36 View Post
glad ya got it fixed!

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote