2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
jasionox666x

Question to military people

My mom got a call the other day saying that my father was hit by an IED on Sunday at 10:00, she received the call around 14:00.
They said he has a brain injury. He messaged my mom on Facebook and says that his neck got hurt and that he is fine so my mom called the guy that originally called her and asked for an explanation of a brain injury. He says it's a vague term they use all the time.

He has two more missions which he is not attending. He does convoys. His last mission was supposed to be on November 15th, then he would come home, get debriefed, and come home finally.

He lost three soldiers a while back and a couple more got injured with the IED. There's a lot more happening to him but I think he's holding back.

Is that true that they use "brain injury" as a quick term of does it mean more?
jasionox666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Explosive

Re: Question to military people

Sorry to hear about your dad, hope he is ok.
Explosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Could be like a concussion. That is a brain injury. This is something that has gone undiagnosed for a long time that they are starting to realize. Good luck to your Dad and tell him thanks from all of us.
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic

Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
TRbetngu

^ +1
TRbetngu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
jasionox666x

He seems perfectly fine, he's been goofing around on Facebook every day.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
mach03one

Hope he is ok.

TBI or traumatic brain injury. I think they started labeling it because people were getting concussions and not reporting it. Also you can claim a disability from the VA.
MGW shifter, FRP alum DS, FRP cobra clutch, FRP alum FW, 17x9 black 03 cobra wheels, 275x40 NT05, Cut stock springs 3/4 coil front no isos 1 coil rear both isos, MM HD LCA, Bassani CB, JLT RAI, UPR OR X pipe
mach03one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
stellasmechanic

I don't think they should have said he had a "brain injury" without a little more insight into it. Poor choice of words in my opinion. TBI is a common thing from IED blasts but usually takes months of testing to figure out, or you have to become a retard instantly which it doesn't sound like happened thankfully.

Glad to hear he is okay and hope he is home soon. Just keep an eye on him and if he seems "slow" mentally or is having trouble with balance or other basic motor functions, encourage him to get checked out.

I am in the Army and have deployed twice as an infantrymen. Thats my short resume.
Wife's car: "Stella" 2003 DSG. Auto, 4:30's, 4800 Stall, aluminum DS, 26 inch slicks on 15 inch rims, skinnys, psr / aje hybrid k member and VMP tuned, GT front brakes, 1 3/4 headers and dumps, UWP pulley, Team z control arms.
7.90 - 1.75 60 foot.
12.37 1/4 mile
110.29 MPH (800 DA or so)
With Roy PSR 1.71 12.25 at 1600 DA (no tune)
4.56 gears 1.68 12.09

My Car: "Nadia" 2003 TR Auto, Parted out

Project beat Stella, engineless 03 DSG. Only goal is to beat my wife.
stellasmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
jasionox666x

Thanks guys

I got the details from him. He ran over an IED, the entire truck got shot up in the air about 20 feet. He said in the meantime there were tangos shooting at them.

Rough as hell on him and he found out that they NEED him to take on the next two convoy missions, both missions that were ran before with casualties/major injuries.

I pray for every soldiers safe return.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
03BumbleBee

Tell your Father we thank him and others for their service. I have made it a point anytime I have been at our airport to shake the hands of the Military and thank them, most are taken back and don't know how to respond. I will never take for granted the freedom I exercise everyday!

Welcome to the Mach 1 Cafe!
"Today's Special..Smoked Honda"
Finally a member of 10,000 mile club!
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
StevesTorchRed

Concussion = brain injury in the military. anything that jars your brain around in your head is considered a TBI nowadays.
StevesTorchRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #11
hurststang

The Army is serious about TBI's. I can't believe that someone called her within 4 hours. I have never seen people get called that fast. I hope you Dad makes it back safe. Just keep an eye on him and make sure your family gives him time and room to reintegrate once he gets home.
hurststang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BumbleBee View Post
Tell your Father we thank him and others for their service. I have made it a point anytime I have been at our airport to shake the hands of the Military and thank them, most are taken back and don't know how to respond. I will never take for granted the freedom I exercise everyday!

Thank you for doing that.

Our younger force is most deserving of the gratitude of the citizens of our Nation. I was a post-Vietnam troop and after seeing how many of them were treated all you wanted to do was get out of the uniform before you left the base so nobody knew what you did. Of course the close cropped hair usually gave us away also. Over the last 10 years I’ve had many people come up to me if I am in uniform and express their appreciation for my service. At first I was taken back and dumbfounded and people probably thought I was an idiot. I didn’t know what to say.

Now I thank them for their support and for being an American taxpayer to support the military. I always ask if they served if they appear to be of an older generation and if so, thank them for their service too.

Thanks again.
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic

Old 10-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
shadowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BumbleBee View Post
In 2005 we were in Atlanta airport and a plane of soldiers were just coming home. A few of us made a line and started clapping. Before I knew what was going on there were probably 50+ people that these soldiers had to go by. There were lots of thank yous and a whole lot of wet eyes.
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
BADTGR
US ARMY Medic from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurststang View Post
The Army is serious about TBI's. I can't believe that someone called her within 4 hours. I have never seen people get called that fast. I hope you Dad makes it back safe. Just keep an eye on him and make sure your family gives him time and room to reintegrate once he gets home.
As a Nurse in the Army, TBI's are VERY high in the system. I see a lot of it while I review medical records for medical boards. As for the call times, 4 hours isn't bad. They do it as quick as they can because they know that the IED blast will make the news very quickly, so they try to get the info to potential families as fast as they can.
BADTGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #15
un gm
occasional user

Hero Dad. You're Blessed to have him. Prayers going out.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #16
Vegas Mach1
Strip Cruzer

Our prayers are for your Dad's safe return.
I would love to pin this medal on him right now:

USAF Retired
Member #18

C63 AMG Black/Black (fast!!)

#1 Azure Blue
Built 12/10/02, home 12/24/02

#2 Dark Shadow Grey
Built 7/06/03, home 9/1/03

Vegas Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #17
SparksMach1
Shitin 'n Gitin

Tell your father I said "thank you for your service", this coming from someone who has deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. TBI commercials are all over AFN now-a-days, they are definitely serious about educating people on it. I think the term "brain-injury" was the absolute WRONG word to use in that instance if they were not sure about his actual condition. If you don't know, you shouldn't guess. Glad he is coming back alive, he and I are some of the lucky ones that get to come home and live our lives after being over there.

442/435 @ the rear ALL MOTOR -Race Gas
FRPP BOSS 5.0 block, 10.6:1 compression, Manley H-Beams; Diamond flat-top pistons, P&P heads W/ 5-angle valve job & ARP Head studs, PP upper/lower intake, Comp Stage 2 N/A cams, FR500 springs, valves, and followers, Tube K with coilovers and Bilsteins, Kooks, Stingers, 2.97 T-56 Magnum, 31 Spline Superior axles & Auburn-pro dif, built battle boxes, KB BAP w/ 39lb injectors, and 4:10's.
SparksMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

glad your dad survived the IED, they aren't fun. the word is used very lose. i had one but didn't get knocked out just dazed and then another guy that got hit by the 2nd IED that went off, he had a one, but his was alot worest and ended up coming home with a bad TBI.

i think pretty much everyone that gets hit hard they will say brain injury. i would be concern, but from what it sounds like he is doing good.

again sorry to hear, but thankful he is alive

ASh
2013 RED Dodge Charger R/T Sold Nov 2014
2002 custom Blue 02 Auto Trans AM Sold June 2015
1998 Cobra Black Sold summer 2016

Current
2009 Ford F350 FX4 March 2017 (work truck)
2003 OW 5.0 Mach 1 Aug 2020

ASh
ASH302 is offline   Reply With Quote