2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
RickyD53

Replacing clutch, need help choosing.

Since my throw out bearing needs replacing, i've decided to just replace the whole clutch and flywheel. My car only has 24,xxx miles so it was surprising to me that my throw-out bearing needed replacing. anyways, what clutch should i get for my mach 1? i was thinking a spec stage 2+, but also would like to hear everyones opinion.
RickyD53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Lonestar7

Cool Re: Replacing clutch, need help choosing.

I have a zoom ZVT with Kevlar disc waiting to go in mine with a Fidanza flywheel. My throw out is making noise but its not to bad yet.

LS
Lonestar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Mach828
Dark Knight

Re: Replacing clutch, need help choosing.

Get an aluminum flywheel while your at it.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
RickyD53

does fidanza aluminum flywheel and a 2.1 clutch go well? or how bout the fidanza fly wheel with the spec stage 2+ or king cobra clutch?
Old 08-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
zincmock03

whats mods does your car have or do you plan on? I dont really see the need for a high perf clutch in a stock car. Mayb get the clutch the 03-04 cobra's use. Do a search on it
zincmock03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
311-420
Can't be bridled

How's about listing your mods so an educated recommendation can be made??
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #7
RickyD53

planning for borla stingers, x pipe, shorty headers, JLT CAI.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Mach828
Dark Knight

Here is a decent set up

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ram-hd...v8-clutch.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/fidanz...eel-8bolt.html

I'd get this clutch personally for the extra $100 and if you boost your car in the future this one will handle it easy.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ram-po...v8-clutch.html

Then just use the American Muscle code for M1R use search

Best throw out bearing
http://www.speedconcepts.net/product...roducts_id=718

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD53 View Post

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
bradmach

just stick a new stocker in there. it can more than handle what your planning. i laugh at these idiots that feel the need to have some billy badazz clutch on there bolt on car.
bradmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmach View Post
just stick a new stocker in there. it can more than handle what your planning. i laugh at these idiots that feel the need to have some billy badazz clutch on there bolt on car.
I second this. No need to wear your leg out with some clutch you have no use for. I made well over 400rwhp in my '02 on a stock clutch for 30k miles before I sold it and I never had a single issue.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
2k4mach
LuLz

stocker is just fine.
04 DSG Mach 1 (stolen)
03 OW Mach 1 (sitting in a field rotting away)
2k4mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
NastyNate

I went with the Fidanza 2.1 clutch with the Fidanza Aluminum FW and never looked back. Ive got over 50k miles on it with no issues! The pedal is a lil heavier than stock.
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
gamatt
Mustang Fanatic

Quote:
Amen to that, it's like a badge of honor with some guys.

I had a bolt-on '92 LX and put in a Centerforce II and loved it, very very smooth and easy pedal effort. I believe the CF II handles up to 400 HP. Whichever brand you go with, call their tech line and ask which model they recommend for your power level.
gamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
bradmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamatt View Post
Amen to that, it's like a badge of honor with some guys.

I had a bolt-on '92 LX and put in a Centerforce II and loved it, very very smooth and easy pedal effort. I believe the CF II handles up to 400 HP. Whichever brand you go with, call their tech line and ask which model they recommend for your power level.
yup and most of the guys that have these billy badazz clutches want to tell you about them like they actually make a difference in the way there car runs yet when you ask them what mods they have they say "exhaust and a cai"
Old 08-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
JaybTorchedMach

Quote:
yup and most of the guys that have these billy badazz clutches want to tell you about them like they actually make a difference in the way there car runs yet when you ask them what mods they have they say "exhaust and a cai"
Exhaust and CAI?? That setup definitely needs a dual disc!!
JaybTorchedMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #16
Redmach1pilot
TR 04 5spd

I too need a clutch and am thinking the 03-04 stock Cobra will be fine for the bolt ons and if I decide on a blower in the future. As long as I stay low in the boost..... I have driven a few Cobras and like the pedal feel. Anyone know of any deals out there on a Cobra clutch, not trying to de-rail, may help us both!
4:30's, Mac CB/Prochamber,
Fiore quadrant / FWA,
SCT tuned by Brenspeed,
K&N, Roush springs, MGW shifter,
Stifflers F.I.T system, Spider brace,
Lower chassis brace and D.S. loop
Redmach1pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:17 AM   #17
Bwahl602
Pilot

ive heard great things about McLeod clutches.. not so great things about price..

for the OP...stock clutch
04 TR mach. #6787
Bwahl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:37 AM   #18
Mach828
Dark Knight

I laugh at idiots who would put a stocker clutch in only to tear it up or pull it out later and replace it with something stronger if they boost the car later down the road. Does my recommendation not say IF you plan to boost the car later you should prepare by getting a clutch capable of your future plans?

Since when is preparing for the future stupid? Maybe if you changing out the clutch on your 97 Toyota Corolla you'd put the stock one back in. But i didn't buy a Mach 1 to keep it stock or never hit the track or WOT. I guess if the driver shifts everyday at 2k rpm and keeps it a garage queen that will never see any power increase over stock than ya, save $100 and get your basic clutch set up.

If your concerned about a little extra peddle effort you should have considered either an automatic or a gym membership if thats making your leg sore.

Quote:

Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #19
Mach828
Dark Knight

You should probably take your posts elsewhere, last time I checked no one here thinks a 1000ft/lb clutch gives you and extra 40hp.

However, reducing the rotating weight is going to improve performance, if it didn't maybe we'd all just buy iron flywheels and driveshafts....

Quote:

Old 08-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #20
Mach828
Dark Knight

Smart man. See this is what I was referring too. If you prepare now for your potential plans then you won't have issues in the future, only makes sense. And its not like I was saying get the $1200 set up in case you twin turbo the car and run 1100hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmach1pilot View Post
I too need a clutch and am thinking the 03-04 stock Cobra will be fine for the bolt ons and if I decide on a blower in the future. As long as I stay low in the boost..... I have driven a few Cobras and like the pedal feel. Anyone know of any deals out there on a Cobra clutch, not trying to de-rail, may help us both!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 AM   #21
RickyD53

yeaaa eventually i was planning on droppin in a super charger. and for daily driving i shift usually around 3k-4500k. depends on where i am. and i do some drag races against other friends and car clubs in my area.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #22
bradmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
I laugh at idiots who would put a stocker clutch in only to tear it up or pull it out later and replace it with something stronger if they boost the car later down the road. Does my recommendation not say IF you plan to boost the car later you should prepare by getting a clutch capable of your future plans?

Since when is preparing for the future stupid? Maybe if you changing out the clutch on your 97 Toyota Corolla you'd put the stock one back in. But i didn't buy a Mach 1 to keep it stock or never hit the track or WOT. I guess if the driver shifts everyday at 2k rpm and keeps it a garage queen that will never see any power increase over stock than ya, save $100 and get your basic clutch set up.

If your concerned about a little extra peddle effort you should have considered either an automatic or a gym membership if thats making your leg sore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
You should probably take your posts elsewhere, last time I checked no one here thinks a 1000ft/lb clutch gives you and extra 40hp.

However, reducing the rotating weight is going to improve performance, if it didn't maybe we'd all just buy iron flywheels and driveshafts....

hey dummy cant you read?

where does planning for the future that includes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD53 View Post
]

need a billy badazz clutch?

do you even know how much abuse a stock clutch can take?

please tell us boy with your wisdom.

and maybe you should take your postings and educated guesses on mods without even reading elsewhere.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #23
weaver
mustangs rule

My stock clutch was great for what little bolt ons I had. I beat the piss outta that thing. Tons of burnouts, powershifts and some track time (street tires). Hell I even broke the trans and while replacing it(trans) I stuck the 56K OE clutch back in because it worked perfectly and had little wear. So I'd say just put the OE clutch back in. I mean you only have 24K miles on the **** thing. Flywheel too? Why waste money? Save it a spend it on some gears!
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #24
Mach828
Dark Knight

Alright so look what he just said, he is hoping to drop a supercharger in the future. I don't know about you, maybe you have unlimited funding and time in the world. But when I pulled my transmission myself on jack stands it was a chore. I would rather not spend my weekend off work replacing my clutch a second time later down the road if I could avoid it. If your not doing it yourself than your losing money down the road when you pay someone to do the job twice. So what part of that is cost effective?

Ya, the stock clutch is good it can handle a lot of abuse. But why would you push the stock one to its limits, rather than have a clutch that can easily handle the power and any future power you plan on putting in it so you never have to deal with it again.

So chill out mr. online warrior. ...

Quote:
hey dummy cant you read?

where does planning for the future that includes

]

need a billy badazz clutch?

do you even know how much abuse a stock clutch can take?

please tell us boy with your wisdom.

and maybe you should take your postings and educated guesses on mods without even reading elsewhere.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #25
Fastkurve

Visit americanpowertrain site, a I would propose that you call and talk to Richard, I just replaced mine with the basic one, except for kevlar disc.

Smooth engagement, like oem pedal effort and more holding power than oem one. Just my two cents.
Pro 5.0 shifter with Hurst linelock trigger button handle, SLP Line lock
"Noisy" on coast and decelleration Truetrac, Moser 31 splines axles, FRR 4.10 gear
Ford Racing girdle, Ford Racing aluminium driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA
Maximum Motorsports CC plates

Best to date: 12.73 @ 110 MPH, on M/T ET drag mounted on Centerline Convo Pro
Fastkurve is offline   Reply With Quote