2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 05-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #51
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

Re: Lock-out, missed shifts - Mystery solved?

What broke on the Tri-Ax?
18 Ford Explorer XLT
17 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
16 Fusion SE AWD Ecoboost
10 Fusion SE V6
66 289 Mustang Hardtop Restomod
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #52
MachAssault

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDraper View Post
What broke on the Tri-Ax?
i didnt say anything broke, i said it fell apart, i meant the two bolts that are on the middle got loose yes both of them, dont know how it just did...one bolt fell throught the middle and got stuck, so i couldnt get to 3rd..i would suggest just checking them from time to time so it wont happen to you...
Old 05-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #53
mach1atlanta

Just wanted to chime in.

I bought a 03 Azure with 39k on the clock having 2 of the issues talked about here.

1) Crappy clutch engagement and not consistently at the same letup point - I fixed this with a Fiore quadrant and adjuster kit. I can not tell you how much better this made the engagement and it's consistent now. It was killing me that I was periodically lurching the car and I've been driving sticks and performance cars for years..... Great fix !

2) Sloppy shifter - I bought and installed the MGW shifter kit with the Mach 1 T-Handle and inner boot. Man, huge improvement and as they say, no more of that missed 2nd-3rd shift feeling. It is a bit stiff, but already beginning to wear in the way it should. I've owned 2 Tri-Ax shifters before and this flat out for me blows them away in terms of positive engagement and feel/quality.

I still need to do the RP ATF and RP oil changes to complete the break in.

Oh, for sure remove the seat if you are doing the quadrant replacement. I am not that big of a guy and I still couldn't properly snake myself under the dash with it in. Once i took it out (all of 5 minutes to do with a socket set), I had the stock quadrant off in under a minute.

Matt
mach1atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #54
MachAssault

I love this site as much as i love my Mach 1... yeahhhh
Old 08-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #55
mach1atlanta

3000 mile checkin/update :

Everything continues to work well, the shifter is still slightly balky at times with a slight grind into 2nd. However, having said that, the MGD is fully broken in now and is awesome, no missed shift at all.

On the subject of the special cocktail of tranny fluid and lucas, all I can say is wow and it's been a god send. I def recommend it for anyone having issues with the tranny.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #56
JasonARGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1atlanta View Post
the MGD is fully broken in now and is awesome, no missed shift at all.

On the subject of the special cocktail of tranny fluid and lucas, all I can say is wow and it's been a god send. I def recommend it for anyone having issues with the tranny.
By MGD i assume you meen MGW. Unless you using beer to shift.

As far as the tranny fluid with some Lucas, i agree. i put in some royal purple Syncromax with a can of lucas tranny fix and my tranny shifts WAY better. I still miss third every time while im on if i try to shift too fast but if i just take a little longer and granny shift it, it goes in every time.

Glad everything worked out for you
JasonARGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:16 AM   #57
mach1atlanta

Hah, got me, or rather the beer did. But yeah, it has worked out well.... I just wish we could get some gas down here in Atlanta so I could actually drive it. Sucks that the last week I've been having to drive my wife's car since it uses regular and even that's been hard to find !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonARGY View Post
By MGD i assume you meen MGW. Unless you using beer to shift.

As far as the tranny fluid with some Lucas, i agree. i put in some royal purple Syncromax with a can of lucas tranny fix and my tranny shifts WAY better. I still miss third every time while im on if i try to shift too fast but if i just take a little longer and granny shift it, it goes in every time.

Glad everything worked out for you
Old 10-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #58
vtecDIS
hunt'n for chevy's

Just bought the quadrant and firewall adjuster... woo hoo! and for $32 shipped brand new!!! cant wait to do the install !!!
vtecDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #59
NightOfTheCow
Space Olympics

I'll be placing an order shortly.... over the past couple months I've noticed that I'm getting a nasty clicking/clunking sound when I engage the clutch along with the missed gear and lockout garbage. Almost always had issues with reverse, and occasionally grinding gears because the clutch isn't engaging properly. And I too am tired of the lurching.

blaragh.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #60
TheWaterSkier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachAssault View Post
i didnt say anything broke, i said it fell apart, i meant the two bolts that are on the middle got loose yes both of them, dont know how it just did...one bolt fell throught the middle and got stuck, so i couldnt get to 3rd..i would suggest just checking them from time to time so it wont happen to you...
Wow, I hope you just got one that was incorrectly assembled. I installed mine when I got home from purchasing the car (about 30 miles). I now have 57,000 miles on the car and of course as much on the shifter with no issues to date.

I will check those bolts though

Traded on another vehicle. The Mach was a great car with very few issues in the 93,000 miles I put on it. I'll miss it...

'04 DSG 5 Spd. IUP
Tri-Ax purchased day before Mach, installed day of purchase. MGW Adjustable Shifter Arm.
Borla Stainless Steel "Stinger" Cat-back. Fiore firewall adjuster/Steeda clutch quadrant.
TheWaterSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #61
Red Baron
Track Mods

I have a 03 mach 1 and have this problem for awhile now...

My second gear grinds all the time, slow or fast speeds. Also my reverse gear won't go in. and when it does, I have to force it, that is when the grind starts and finally slows down and clicks in...

Thank You
Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #62
GroverDill

I was having the same problems, new clutch quad kit today fixed it all! It is so much better and it even make the shifter quieter!

Guys this is a MUST DO!
GroverDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #63
hoopty

JINXED!!!!

I've notice a little grind into 2nd no 3rd lockout until tonite were I had both. Of course i read this thread last night......

Parts ordered, guess it's better to know what it is when it happens
hoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #64
Apollo240
12's

My dern throwout bearing whines....and I got the firewall adjuster all the way in....but it seems to go away after the car warms up

Current: Ls1 Corvette
Apollo240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #65
ScreamingMach46

Just did this yesterday, wnated to install it before I go to the strip this weekend, took me 2 hours to do it but if I did it again it would only take me 30 min.
I had a hard time trying to cut off the plastic piece that is bolted to the firewall that you have to remove, so what I did was place it against the strut tower in a no-painted solid place and hit it with a hammer.
It cuts down on install time and hand cramps from trying to cut hard plastic.
N2O - 380rwhp 487rwtq
12.03 @ 110 (1.55)

SOLD

2004 Cobra - Screaming Yellow - T56 - 1 of 299
KB 2.8H @ 20lbs, 98 Intake Cams, E85, Tune by Tim Barth @ MPH
711rwhp 635rwtq
ScreamingMach46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #66
black2kmax

I just got around to installing my fiore clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. Everything went great right up until the very end. I believe that my cable came off at the transmission. Can one of you guys tell me the correct way to reattach this cable. I am sure that it is not hard but I think I am going to have to break down and get a floor jack and some jack stands today. Of course its raining and my Mach is down.

Also the clutch quadrant only came with one plastic spacer but there is alot of play on both shafts I plan on just buying some flat washers to take up the slack. I assume that is what everyone else did as well.

Thanks

Dave
black2kmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #67
black2kmax

Well a jack and two jack stands later and all is right in the world. Install was not too bad but of course I had to make a run to get the jack and jackstands and I stopped off at Home Depot and picked up some nylon spacers to get the quadrant lined up correctly. I only took it for a quick spin around the block but it feels smoother for sure. It was still doing a little grind on the 1-2 shift so I took out some more slack and it seems better now. Just did not want to go to tight right off the bat.

In summary seems to be a good mod and I finally got around to buying some stuff I needed anyway.

Next up 4.10's no wait subframe connectors or maybe......crap I don't know. Every time I get a Mustang the desire to modify just takes over.
black2kmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #68
djsmach1

Another believer! MM quadrant and steed fwa. Adjusted clutch to engage high along with tranny fluid change with lucas mixture. No more third problems!!
djsmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #69
Mach1 Of A Kind

Some advice please. I have read and searched this problem from top to bottom and I am sure my problem is the clutch quadrant. My question that I can't seem to find the answer to is this. I bought my 2004 Mach1 from a guy that said he raced the car allot and I have raced it and shifted it hard as well. Since I bought the car it has been hard to get into reverse and has the grind into third. As of last night it wont go into third unless you are shifting under 3000 rpm gently. I know this is quadrant issue. But when the car is idling in neutral, with clutch peddle out, there is a clunking and knocking sound from the trans like two gears hitting each other. Could the 3rd gear syncro be shot because nobody updated the clutch quadrant. Will this problem fix itself with the install of the new clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster or is my trans syncro's shot because of the noise I am getting in neutral.
Mach1 Of A Kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #70
Mach1 Of A Kind

I'm going to drain and check the oil for pieces tomorrow. I ordered the clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster today.

Anybody? (Mach1Marauder) anything to say even negative.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #71
Mach1 Of A Kind

I drained the oil no peace's but the oil had a bit of silver colour to it. I changed the oil with Mobil 1 syn atf and added the lucas transmission fix. The trans is smother and quieter and seems to shift better but still grinds going into 3rd only and only if I shift fast over 3000 rpm's. Hopefully its not the 3rd gear syncro that's gone and the new clutch quadrant fixes the problem. Do you think its the syncro or the quadrant?

Any answer at all would be nice at this point.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #72
01cobradude
12.98 @ 105 best 1/4

If it is not the release fork & pivot ball being bent & or worn & clutch fins being worn, I would say a firewall adj & billet quadrant is in order. If it still does not fix it, it means the sncros have already been damaged & the tranny needs rebuilt. I know how frustrating this can be but, that is what I did in that order to emiminate the problem. My guess is the damage has already been done & the tranny needs rebuild based on the condition of the fluid you drained.
01 Cobra, Hanlon t-45, Spec clutch, 26" QTP's, 15" draglites, Solid axle, Strange adj rear shocks, lakewood 90/10 front, Eibach drag springs, 4.10 gears, UMI solid lift bars, UMI double adj upper control arms, BBK full length sub-frame conectors, Pypes catback, Bassani off road X, FRPP Alum driveshaft, self cut & ported lower intake, JLT tru cold air, 90mm maf, SCT X-Cal2, kennebell BAP, 39lb injectors, 96 cobra intake cams, 3/4" intake spacer, dyno tune, March udp's, old 302whp 301rwtq
01cobradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:38 AM   #73
Mach1 Of A Kind

That's what I'm wondering but you had to move the oil with your finger and have a light on it to see the silver. It was there but I thaught not any more then useual wear. But like you say I will try the quadrent 1st. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #74
Mach1 Of A Kind

01cobradude did you have to rebuild your trans or did the quadrent fix your problem?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #75
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

i hope this fixes my problem i'm having
ASH302 is offline   Reply With Quote