2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items

Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items Have a Problem? Technical Questions & Answers. HOW TO's & TSB's, Warranty Issues

Old 06-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
southbeachmach1

Hesitation when accelerating

Hey everyone,

Need some help. I don't drive this car much, so it sits a lot. A few months ago I took it out and it started cutting out on me and then stalled altogether. I had to have it towed in. I never did a fuel filter on it yet, so I started there and the old filter had really nasty stuff coming out of it... looked like muddy fuel. I replaced the fuel filter and it seemed to run fine after that.

Now a few months later I took it out this morning and it idles fine, starts fine, I can lightly accelerate, but as soon as I lay into it more than half throttle its got MAJOR hesitation like it lost 4 cylinders.

Not sure where to start here, not sure if its fuel or ignition/spark. I was going to check the fuel filter again later.

Please help! Thanks!

Former Vehicles
2003 Mach 1 Oxford White - Sold April 2011

May the new owner, enjoy her as I did....
southbeachmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Con's Mach1

Re: Hesitation when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbeachmach1 View Post
Hey everyone,

Need some help. I don't drive this car much, so it sits a lot. A few months ago I took it out and it started cutting out on me and then stalled altogether. I had to have it towed in. I never did a fuel filter on it yet, so I started there and the old filter had really nasty stuff coming out of it... looked like muddy fuel. I replaced the fuel filter and it seemed to run fine after that.

Now a few months later I took it out this morning and it idles fine, starts fine, I can lightly accelerate, but as soon as I lay into it more than half throttle its got MAJOR hesitation like it lost 4 cylinders.

Not sure where to start here, not sure if its fuel or ignition/spark. I was going to check the fuel filter again later.

Please help! Thanks!
If your fuel filter was that DIRTY, I would suspect the injectors could have TRASH in them too. You could try a good Injector Cleaner. Maybe it will clear it out? If it's that bad you may have to have the system professionally cleaned. My also have a lot of condensation in the tank too.
Con's Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
southbeachmach1

Yep, I'm leaning more towards dirty injectors also. So I think I should probably just get the full blown injection system clean out done, where they disconnect the fuel line and run the car off the bottle straight to the fuel rails.

Could the injectors be damaged?

Former Vehicles

Old 06-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Con's Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbeachmach1 View Post
Yep, I'm leaning more towards dirty injectors also. So I think I should probably just get the full blown injection system clean out done, where they disconnect the fuel line and run the car off the bottle straight to the fuel rails.

Could the injectors be damaged?
I would suspect their just clogged up, not sure if they could be damaged or not.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
southbeachmach1

Car is fixed... two bad spark plugs out of cylinders 3 and 4. Stupid me, I should have thought to at least pull the plugs before I brought it in.

I think the spark plugs went bad because its running pretty advanced timing. Its right on the ragged edge and it does ping once in a while between 4000-5000rpm. I've tried adding fuel to the computer but it doesn't make any difference, I had to pull 5 degrees of timing out before it would quit and the car was a dog then. I'd either have to run racing fuels or maybe a water methanol kit or something.

Former Vehicles

Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
XSELLR8
Mach-o-holic

If the car sits a lot, you may want to think about some kind of fuel stabilizer. I've used SeaFoam before to clean the whole system. You can pour it into the gas tank, vacuum line (which makes it smoke white clouds like crazy for a while until the carbon build up is gone!) and in the crankcase just before an oil change. Type it in youtube. It's kinda crazy.
XSELLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
southbeachmach1

Agreed, if it sits for long periods of time again, I should put something in it. I've decided to drive it to the gym every morning 3-4 days a week. About 14 miles round trip. That should at least burn up a tank of gas once a month or so. I don't commute for work because I work out of the house.

Former Vehicles

Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Con's Mach1

I'm happy it was a simple fix. Take good care of it.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
KRPattman

yea i am having this same problem on an 04 i just got it has 23,900 miles roughly and is only under heavy load my mechanic told me it probably is carbon build up like the rest of u guys have said and that "seafoam" is the **** and that it cleans the whole system out and works great
KRPattman is offline   Reply With Quote