2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Fluid Systems (coolant, oil, fuel)

Old 05-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
wigsite

Fuel pump replacement tips

I have kind of been waiting for this to happen. It seems like so many machs have had the fuel pump go dead while in storage over the winter. After 14 years, I believe mine is dead. I picked up a Focus SVT green top pump to replace the stock unit. I am thinking I will have a go at replacement this weekend. Just looking for any tips. I am more concerned about getting vent hoses and fuel line off than the pump itself. I know I need the little plastic clip tool to remove the fuel line itself. How do the vent tubes come off? Just pull? Do I need to undo the filler tube at the gas cap or can I unhook it at the tank? How about depressurizing the fuel system before I pull the fuel line or is the pressure gone since the pump is shot? Any tips appreciated. Thanks, Tim
Dyno tuned by CRT Performance
Pro 5.0 Power Tower shifter
best 1/4 12.62 @ 108.05 mph
313 RWHP..330 TQ
wigsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
fastlane

Re: Fuel pump replacement tips

Disconnect the battery and bleed off any extra pressure by removing the fuel filler cap and from the rail via the schrader valve. Siphon or drain as much fuel from the tank as possible. You don't need to remove the filler neck bolts under the fuel door just remove the 8mm bolt from the side of the tank. The vent hoses are removed by squeezing the white plastic clips and pulling. Be careful not to break the vent tubes and don't forget to disconnect the evap/charcoal canister hoses that are connected to the tank as well. Disconnect the fuel filter line and start to drop the tank. I suggest having another person help when actually dropping the tank as it doesn't balance well on a jack. Iv'e done it multiple times by myself but it is a pain. Once you lower the tank a little, disconnect the power connections to the pump and sender.

Check the filler neck gasket in the tank to make sure there are no tears and replace if necessary.

Once the tank it out, there are like 6-8 bolts holding the fuel hat in. Remove those and gently work the hat out of the tank. Replace the pump and reverse the procedure. Take caution when installing the hat as the sender/float can be damaged if you try to manhandle the install. Be careful not to push the filler neck gasket back in the tank when reinstalling the neck.
fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
RLWPA

Great instructions, fastlane.

Definitely get as much gas out of the tank as you can, and have help taking it down and putting it back up.

Clean around the hat before you remove it...little stones and stuff reside there.
RLWPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Ive had much better luck with the little anodized fuel line tools than the plastic or metal X tools. I fought the damned line attached to the pump (fuel filter side was easy) for waaaay too long before I finally went to autozone and got the anodized set...popped off first try

the gasket for the hat and filler neck might be good to replace just on GP at this point in their life.

Also the little check ball assembly clips onto the end of the filler neck, make sure it doesnt fall off while removing/reinstalling.

the evap connections are pretty simple to manipulate. I use a trans jack or a jack with a good size board on it to support the tank. When raising the tank make sure not to jack it up too far, people have dented the bottom of the tank and it smashes the fuel filter sock, not good for the pump

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
wigsite

Thank you guys for the comments.
Dyno tuned by CRT Performance
Pro 5.0 Power Tower shifter
best 1/4 12.62 @ 108.05 mph
313 RWHP..330 TQ
wigsite is offline   Reply With Quote