2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
iudelt89
United We Stang

Another Day Another Recall

This is a nightmare. 15.6 million vehicles recalled worldwide, costing $1.7 billion for the recalls, $35 million for HTSA fines, and looming lawsuit similar to the one that cost Toyota a $1.2 billion settlement a few years ago. In 2014 alone they have officially recalled more vehicles than they have sold since the bailout in 2009.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/21/news...html?hpt=hp_t1
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
shadowmaker

Re: Another Day Another Recall

They are sending everything over seas to be made in order to save money. Have you looked at the price of a new truck? $39k GM truck doesnt even come with a V8.

They are making them cheaper and it shows.
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
iudelt89
United We Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmaker View Post
They are sending everything over seas to be made in order to save money. Have you looked at the price of a new truck? $39k GM truck doesnt even come with a V8.

They are making them cheaper and it shows.
I thought they were building factories in China to build cars for the Chinese market only?
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

Old 05-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
bris09

Quote:
Originally Posted by iudelt89 View Post
I thought they were building factories in China to build cars for the Chinese market only?
That was Jeep.

Not including GM's latest recall over 20 miilion vehicles have been recalled this year. They are thinking the previous record will be broken this year.

The biggest problem with some businesses is the drive for higher profit margins to attract more investors. Unfortunately this means some parts are junk because of inferrior components, weak design, and lack of proper testing. Boeing's battery issue is a good example of this. The test planes did not have a problem with their batteries but the production 787 Dreamliners had a cheaper battery.

GM and boeing are not alone in this. I just read Nest Labs is recalling 440K smoke detectors because they may not alarm as soon as they are supposed. The company I work for had an issue with air valves the other year because of a decision to use a cheaper diode. The original diode lasted years with a life span of over a million cycles. The new diode literally exploded after a few months and a couple thousand cycles.
Enough to not be the slowest, but nowhere near enough to be the fastest.

17 Fusion Sport
Now faster than the Mach

96 Laser Red Cobra Vert
For those days you just wanna cruise with the top down

89 Shelby CSX
Still rocking the VNT and Fiberides.
bris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
shadowmaker

Quote:
Im talking about the parts they put on the cars. Everything is overseas, chinese electronics, etc etc.
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
ShkeRttlNroll

If Ford isnt careful they are going to be in the same boat as GM. The new Focus cvt tranny is junk. Google focus transmission nothing but problems, I know because we have one. Sync recalls out the whazoo and ecoboost heat soak issues on the escape. I believe because the auto manufactures are including so much standard items and safety crap just to keep the price down they use inferior parts and well that leads to all these recalls.
ShkeRttlNroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
TKat13
Mach-T

In engineering, manufacturing , you get what you pay for. Pay for cheap labor and you get terrible or slow output, pay for cheap material and you get subpar parts. Just ask the steel industry in the US, china steel should be criminal, but their cheap prices killed superior US steel... Ripple effect, i see this happening in the software industry as well; I will leave my soap box now.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
Ripple effect, i see this happening in the software industry as well;
+1

in our Q4 2013 release implementation, "technology" actually asked "the business" to accept the deployment from QA into User Acceptance Testing with Sev-1 & Sev-2 issues that had not been fixed.
the release manager told "technology" that we should not even be having this conversation.

I could rant on this stuff forever.
Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
iudelt89
United We Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach351 View Post
+1

in our Q4 2013 release implementation, "technology" actually asked "the business" to accept the deployment from QA into User Acceptance Testing with Sev-1 & Sev-2 issues that had not been fixed.
the release manager told "technology" that we should not even be having this conversation.

Sounds like we have the same type of job.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
west

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmaker View Post
Im talking about the parts they put on the cars. Everything is overseas, chinese electronics, etc etc.
I believe that most of the manufactures put a "Domestic Parts %" label on the window stickers. I know for sure that GM does. Most of the ones I have seen on GM vehicles has been 75% domestic or higher. I may be wrong on that figure though because that is just going on my memory and have not recently researched it.

I work for an automotive supplier and the business model that is followed most of the time is the parts are produced/ manufactured in the market where the vehicle will be marketed/ manufactured in. Pretty much all of our parts for any US vehicle is manufactured in the US. The company is currently working on building a plant in Mexico, but to produce parts for vehicles that are only sold in Mexico. Supposedly it saves money on shipping/ handling/ customs, etc. more so than the labor costs, but that is only what the people way above my pay grade say.
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

Quote:
Sounds like we have the same type of job.

well, actually my secretary does... but i have people skills.
Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

It all comes down to the managers and upper echelon of the goliath companies in this country. It's a win-win situation for them. They cut labor pay and benefits to the bone and where does that saved money go? Right into managements pockets. Cut product quality with inferior products, and that saved money goes right into managements pockets. Who cares if the company is losing money. Management is still getting their bonuses each year, and they dare you to close the company. Once again, management has a golden parachute and the hourly workers are the ones who get screwed.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
jasionox666x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach351 View Post
+1

Laziness! !!!!!

Wow. With those sev levels that should not even be thought of doing.
jasionox666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
na svt

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/automobi...tml/?a=viewall
na svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #15
na svt

I guess people don't care about recalls: http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/03/news...html?hpt=hp_t3
na svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #16
iudelt89
United We Stang

I certainly will not be one of the people adding to those numbers. I have seen first hand the type of garbage GM has put out over the last 20 years. TBH I would probably go with a Chrysler product over Ford right now to for most models. The Ford line is just largely bland imo. Excluding the performance cars and F-150 of course

Old 06-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #17
4valve 4tw?

ALL auto manufacturers make complete bombs, and cut-above-the-rest products. If you think otherwise, you are more then a little blinded by brand loyalty...
4valve 4tw? is offline   Reply With Quote