2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 08-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Operation Rescue, 2004 Mach 1

Hey guys! It's been a few years since I've been here having sold my wonderful '03 Mach 1 back in 2016 thanks to life changes and all that. However, I recently stumbled across an opportunity to at least temporarily have one again. A guy about an hour away had a project that he couldn't finish, so I picked it up. It's an '04 Azure Blue with 130,000 miles on it. It also has an aftermarket touchscreen stereo, short throw shifter, SLP loudmouth exhaust, and American Muscle FR500 wheels. I was able to pick it up cheaply because the motor was locked up. I grabbed a Mark VIII motor last week, and am currently in the process of stripping down both block so I can put the C heads and Mach 1 cams on the Mark VIII bottom end. I pulled the heads last night and everything looked good. Also, judging by the condition of the gaskets and sealing surfaces, someone had been into the Mach 1 motor very shortly before it locked up.

Anyways, here's a few pictures, and I look forward to getting this thing back on the road! I'll need your guys's help in order to start properly reassembling the accessories, air intake, and wiring harness connections, and possibly a few other things. So please speak up if you see me doing something wrong!

Here's the original Mach 1 engine

and here's the Mark VIII engine that I'm going to use the block and rotating assembly for the swap.
Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

Last edited by 87handmedown; 01-10-2020 at 03:51 PM.
87handmedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
HAEG
Heppasketties

Re: Operation Rescue, 2004 Mach 1

Congratulations on the revival project and good luck.. Another guy on here is bringing an Azure Blue back from the dead as well..
M1R Member #1829
2011 Shelby GT-500 Grabber Blue
W/SVT Performance Package
Born on Friday, 6-25-2010
Purchased 8-19-2010

2003 Zinc Yellow Auto I/UP (Build #8280 of 9652)
Born on Thursday, 7/17/03
Purchased 8-18-2003 first owner
Sold 8-19-2010 bought GT500
Purchased again 3-3-2017 fifth owner
Purchased for my wife to drive (but she knows I love the car)
HAEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Glad to see you are back into a Mach! Can't wait to see how your "re"build goes with the Lincoln motor. I assume the Mark VIII motors are similar to what they put in the Aviator's?
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
BONESTOCK

Nice!!
Old 08-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

nice save!

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
hotford

Great Save!
2011 Shelby GT 500
hotford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
311-420
Can't be bridled

Beautiful car. Most definitely worth rescuing.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
machdude

Nice! Looks like fun, how did the Mach engine lock up? Bent rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: K&N drop filter, Full Mac exhaust with Lt headers, 4:10 gears, eibach sport line springs, tubular cross member, steeda short throw
machdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #9
hotford

ask away and I'm sure you will get lots of help along the way...

the aviator motor came from an auto so the flywheel will need to be changed as the aviator and Mach auto cars came with a cast crank which are 6 bolt vs the 8 your Mach had.

Make sure to use the Mach front cover as well.

also remember Mach have a two piece engine harness, one of them runs under the intake to connect to the knock sensors.
2011 Shelby GT 500
Old 09-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by machdude View Post
Nice! Looks like fun, how did the Mach engine lock up? Bent rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, here's the story as it was told to me from the guy I purchased it from. The guy he purchased it from said he "rebuilt" the motor. Then he ran out of time and money and sold it in pieces to the guy that I purchased it from. That guy at least put everything together, started the car, and tried to test drive it. During the initial test drive, he said the check engine light was on, and it was really down on power. While attempting to turn the car around and nurse it back home after realizing the issue wasn't getting better, the car finally died. When he got it towed back to the house, he was unable to get it to rotate, with either the starter or with a breaker bar on the crank bolt. She was locked tight! After a few weeks of messing with it, his wife was on his case and he needed the money to finish his fox, so that's when I bought it.

I think I found my answer yesterday. I dropped the pan off the Mach 1 engine and there were quite a few pieces, some large, from the old timing chain tensioners in the pan. There is also quite a bit of metal shavings down there in the bottom of the pan as well. So what I can deduce is that the first guy probably revved the piss out of it, broke the timing guides/tensioners, and then did a shitty job rebuilding the rotating assembly. Second guy doesn't check anything, just puts it all together, and then one or two of the bearings seizes on the crank due to foreign material and/or insufficient lubrication.

I can't see any indications on either the valves, or the pistons where they would have made contact with each other, so I think the heads are fine. I'll get the oil pan cleaned up today and then installed tonight. I put the Mach 1 pickup tube on last night, but once I saw the inside of the oil pan I thought it best to clean everything out well so that there's no chance of any of that crap getting into the Mark VIII engine.
Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotford View Post
ask away and I'm sure you will get lots of help along the way...

the aviator motor came from an auto so the flywheel will need to be changed as the aviator and Mach auto cars came with a cast crank which are 6 bolt vs the 8 your Mach had.

Make sure to use the Mach front cover as well.

also remember Mach have a two piece engine harness, one of them runs under the intake to connect to the knock sensors.

Yep, I already have a 6 bolt flywheel from a GT mustang ready to bolt onto the back of my Mark VIII motor.

I didn't know the front covers were different, but I have the Mach 1 cover, so that's good to know now before installing.

I'm fairly certain that I kept the whole engine harness in the engine bay of the car, but I'll check again when I get home to the shop.

I really appreciate the thanks, as well as the feedback guys. More pictures will be coming soon!
Old 09-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #12
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Morning friends! So I wiped my finger on the inside of the Mach 1 oil pan before I was going to install it on the block, and it looked like I had grabbed a stripper. Glitter/metal flakes galore. So I figured I should clean this up real well to prevent anything from harming the "new" engine. This is AFTER the pan has spent time in the parts washer.

That's a LOT of metal!

Anyways, I got that cleaned up, installed, but not tightened or torqued onto the block, and then installed the 6 bolt flywheel (60ft-lbs) and clutch (25ft-lbs). My Chilton's manual says that I need apply RTV to the oil pan gasket at the locations where the timing cover meets the block, and where the rear seal plate meets the block. Is this actually necessary, or is this some CYA policy? I ask because I don't generally like RTV to have access to my crankcase where it can fall off and possibly plug something off.

Finally, here is the head bolt torquing procedure that my Chilton's manual tells me. Is this right? Yes, I know head bolts are typically done in steps, but I've always used torque values, and not arbitrary 90° rotational increments. Just making sure I'm not missing something here.

Here's how we sit as of last night. Please ignore how dirty everything is. I can assure you all sealing surfaces were properly cleaned before gaskets were installed and once I get the heads, timing cover, and valve covers back on, I'll clean up exterior all up prior to setting it in the car.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #13
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

ya that pan definitely needs a better cleaning and/or replacing

Old 09-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #14
hotford

Factory bolts are Torque to yield and can only be used once.

Wow that oil pan needed a good cleaning.

looking good
2011 Shelby GT 500
Old 09-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #15
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Update from this weekend!

Cleaned up all the gasket surfaces so I'll get a nice good seal.

Nice clean bores.

One of the heads cleaned up.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #16
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Head gasket installed

Heads installed and new head bolts marked to observe 90° rotation.

Cleaned and ready for timing cover gasket

Old 09-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #17
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Beginning of timing chains installation.

All complete!

Timing cover after torqued, and I'll need to trim the gasket a bit.

2 dice roller
Old 09-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #18
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

So that is where I currently sit progress wise. I picked up some black RTV over lunch, and will get the oil pan, and valve cover gaskets installed this evening. Then I should be ready to drop the engine back into the car later this week!

Regarding the timing chains, I followed these instructions to the letter, https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...-6004-A464.PDF
So I'm hoping there wasn't a mistake made. We're talking about 4 cams here so there's a chance something could be wrong. However, I'm fairly certain these are interference engines, so if I was off on the timing, I shouldn't be able to rotate the engine, correct? I can rotate the engine around now, and nothing binds or sounds like it's making contact anywhere. It just makes me nervous having never done that to one of these before.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I marked the main cam sprocket bolts, torqued them to 30 ft-lbs, and then rotated them another 90 degrees per the instructions I had. Never done that before, so I'm just double checking to make sure that's correct.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:47 AM   #19
hotford

Your good
most people question what the instructions say as I was never use to the added 90 degree to top of the torque.

Great job!

she'll be running in no time!
2011 Shelby GT 500
Old 09-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #20
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Yeah, I guess we'll find out just how good here before too long haha.

Here's how things sit as of this morning. Oil pan is on and torqued, and the valve covers are on and torqued. This engine is ready to drop into the car!

However, here's where I'm going to start needing your guy's help. This was in pieces when I got it, so I don't know if I've got the valve cover bolts in the right places. I assume that with the way the wire looms may go, that the bolts with the studded heads will be in front. However, I have no pictures to verify this. If any of you could go out and take a picture of each valve cover in your engine bay, or simply tell me if I've got things correct or not, I'd appreciate it.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #21
311-420
Can't be bridled

You've got them right
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #22
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

You need me to send ya some simple green or purple power?

the thought of putting it back like that really hurts my OCD

Old 09-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #23
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Haha it actually looks much more dirty in these pictures than it actually is. I'm still planning on cleaning it up though, but first, I need the car back up and running.

My plan is to get a new water pump and thermostat put on the race car tonight, and then refill the system with water. At that point, I'll be able to move it out of the bay that it's in, and bring the Mach 1 back in to reinstall the engine.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #24
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Slowly going in! I was hoping to get the engine and transmission mated last night, but ran out of time. I keep forgetting how big these things are compared to a sbf until I'm trying to shoehorn one into an engine bay.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #25
BONESTOCK

Nice!! Progress!