2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 12-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #51
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Re: Operation Rescue, 2004 Mach 1

Okay, so I'm **** close to ready to start this thing! I have all electrical connections accounted for and hooked up. The same goes for all vacuum lines, I think. I found this on the passenger side, and it goes to what appears to be emissions equipment inside the passenger fender. I can't find any place on the engine where it should go. Does anyone know what it does?

free photos upload website

Other than that, here's how it sets. I put oil in it, water, and the battery is on the charger. I don't know when I'll attempt to start it. I have to get ready to go to a family Christmas this weekend, but I'll get a video of it when I do.

free photos upload website
Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
87handmedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:44 AM   #52
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

I think it would have to be the evap canister purge valve, but it’s hard to say exactly which one that tube is. Maybe you can tell which one it is from these diagrams of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	021127F9-F1B6-4ECD-954A-EAD0565FA1D6.gif
Views:	9
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	67395

Click image for larger version

Name:	BDA8D5B5-F48F-460B-9651-978D11470517.gif
Views:	6
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	67396
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #53
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

It probably would have helped had I shown you where this goes.

However, your diagrams were helpful! Both had a port that said "Fuel vapor to intake manifold". So, I went back to looking on the intake. It took me a few seconds, but then I found it...

The hose fit on perfectly. I also figured out where that negative ground lead from a few posts ago was supposed to go on the engine block . So as far as I can tell, I need to put P/S fluid in the thing, and then I'm ready to turn the key and see what happens!

I doubt I'll be able to get it done before I leave for a family Christmas this afternoon, but I'm off Monday, so I should have a video of a (hopefully) running car for you guys.
Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #54
BONESTOCK

Awesome work man!
Old 12-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #55
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

That’s great! Hope you enjoy your family Christmas.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #56
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Hey, this happened yesterday, as promised, but I had issues uploading the video. Please ignore my ugly mug. I was not born for TV. Anyways, here you go!

http://youtu.be/kqwfQSpiyHU

I actually didn't mean for it to start when it did. I let off the ignition so I could look it over and make sure there wasn't an issue with the belt routing or a fluid leaking already. However, a few of the cylinders took off, and you can see the rest for yourself in the video!

It was a nervous few seconds there as it was running on partial cylinders and I could hear the dry engine going round. But then, oil made its way to everything, all the cylinders hit, and it calmed down real well.

I do, however, have one leak that was discovered almost immediately after the video ended. Looks like it's coming from the water/oil cooler on the side.

Hard to see in those photos, but I'll have to look at it after Christmas. I leave in a few hours for another family get together.

Merry Christmas guys and thanks for everything you've done to get me to this point!

Last edited by 87handmedown; 12-24-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:13 AM   #57
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Good to see she started up and settled into what sounded like a pretty smooth idle.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #58
machdude

Awesome, I could see how it was a a nervous few seconds especially after all that work. Congrats on getting her going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: K&N drop filter, Full Mac exhaust with Lt headers, 4:10 gears, eibach sport line springs, tubular cross member, steeda short throw
machdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:57 AM   #59
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Coming to you from on the road.

Well, I had a few minutes, despite what my prettier half was yelling on about, to run to the store, grab a new gasket, and see if I could fix the oil leak.

Looks pretty obvious to me what was wrong haha. I let the car idle while I was packing the truck, and no leaks!

So with that, I'll put the rest of the car back together in a few days when we're back home, maybe test drive, and see what else still needs to be repaired.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:12 PM   #60
TKat13
Mach-T

Make sure you have the right gasket, older blocks used a different gasket and they visually look identical. Light it up on the block to make sure all the of the gasket is on the sealing surface. The wrong one will be barely off the sealing area and looks like it would work. The WAP block and the Teksid blocks use a different gasket. (I kinda recall your block was not a WAP?)
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #61
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Yes, I took the old gasket in with me to O'Reilly's when I picked the new one up. I saw that there were two, couldn't see any real differences between them, but went with the older style because it seemed to look identical to the one I had, and happened to be cheaper.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #62
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Hello all and happy new year! Here's the current status, all put back together!

That's the first time in about two years (according to what I was told by the previous owner) that this car has not been in pieces. I was hoping to perform the first test drive this weekend, but terrible weather is forcing me to postpone that venture.

Instead, I'm replacing the driveshaft yoke seal on the transmission, and the pinion flange seal since both are seeping. I don't like leaks on vehicles. The door pins and bushings are also being replaced this weekend.

Once those items are completed, there really isn't anything left to do on this car besides test drive it, clean it up, and put it up for sale!

Two quick additional questions though, what's the best way to remove the backwards emblems so that the paint isn't damaged? Following that, how do you reattach them? You may have noticed that I said emblems, plural. I looked at the car closer after you guys pointed out that the drivers side emblem was backwards, and realized that I already had one... on the passenger side! Someone put them on the wrong sides of the car!
Old 01-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #63
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87handmedown View Post
Hello all and happy new year! Here's the current status, all put back together!

That's the first time in about two years (according to what I was told by the previous owner) that this car has not been in pieces. I was hoping to perform the first test drive this weekend, but terrible weather is forcing me to postpone that venture.

Instead, I'm replacing the driveshaft yoke seal on the transmission, and the pinion flange seal since both are seeping. I don't like leaks on vehicles. The door pins and bushings are also being replaced this weekend.

Once those items are completed, there really isn't anything left to do on this car besides test drive it, clean it up, and put it up for sale!

Two quick additional questions though, what's the best way to remove the backwards emblems so that the paint isn't damaged? Following that, how do you reattach them? You may have noticed that I said emblems, plural. I looked at the car closer after you guys pointed out that the drivers side emblem was backwards, and realized that I already had one... on the passenger side! Someone put them on the wrong sides of the car!
Tell me about replacing the door pins and bushings. Is it a hard job? My doors no longer will stay open if on the slightest incline. The little stops 1/2 way thru the door sweep area no longer work. I assume that's the bushings. Is that correct?
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #64
Big Ron
Original 03 TR Owner

Quote:

There are several videos on youtube to show you how to remove car emblems. I have not done it myself but basically use a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive and then use fishing line or dental floss to cut thru the adhesive. Then you can use goo-gone or wax to remove the rest of the adhesive. I would buy new emblems as replacements and they will have tape on the back of them for sticking them on the fender. I don't know of the emblems will have two holes behind them for alignment or not.

Big Ron
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #65
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
Tell me about replacing the door pins and bushings. Is it a hard job? My doors no longer will stay open if on the slightest incline. The little stops 1/2 way thru the door sweep area no longer work. I assume that's the bushings. Is that correct?
No, I mis-typed what I was replacing. I'm correcting the door sag that is caused when the hinge bushings wear out; these guys.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-BP7SN/Musta...pair-Kit-94-04

What you're talking about is the door hinge check roller, like this guy
https://www.cjponyparts.com/door-hin...1982/p/HW2858/

You may have to buy the whole lower hinge assembly though. My quick google search didn't immediately pull up a check roller bushing and pin kit for our 03/04 Mach 1's.

As far as difficulty goes, no. It's not difficult in the sense of requiring a lot of knowledge or special tools. It is, however, very tedious. You have to open the door, grind off the top of the stock pins with a dremel, pound them out with a hammer and punch (all while supporting a heavy awkward door), knock the old bushings out, install new bushings, line the door back up, drop the new pins in, and touch up any paint you messed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ron View Post
There are several videos on youtube to show you how to remove car emblems. I have not done it myself but basically use a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive and then use fishing line or dental floss to cut thru the adhesive. Then you can use goo-gone or wax to remove the rest of the adhesive. I would buy new emblems as replacements and they will have tape on the back of them for sticking them on the fender. I don't know of the emblems will have two holes behind them for alignment or not.

Big Ron
Perfect. That's what I'll do and report back.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #66
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Well I test drove the car over the weekend, and aside from a few minor issues I need to fix (rattles, throttle cable adjustment, etc) everything worked great. I'll get this car cleaned up, and have it for sale just in time for one of you to spend their tax return!
Old 01-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #67
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Well I test drove the car over the weekend, and aside from a few minor issues I need to fix (rattles, throttle cable adjustment, etc) everything worked great. I'll get this car cleaned up, and have it for sale just in time for one of you to spend their tax return!
LOL That's great man!
Old 02-24-2020, 09:53 PM   #68
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Well, everything is ready to go now. I just need to vacuum the interior, take pictures, and post it up for sale. No check engine lights, no weird noises or rattles, and no leaks of any kind. She's ready to go! While I was at it, I decided to dress up the rear end. In my opinion, every Mach 1 and Cobra should have come from the factory like this.

Before

After
Old 02-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #69
BONESTOCK

Looks good!
Old 02-27-2020, 11:53 AM   #70
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Thank you! I've enjoyed rescuing this one and look forward to sending it on to a good owner.

Quick question though, could someone please snap a picture of the stock routing of the intake scoop drain lines? I don't know how Ford ran them, but when I take them straight down, they end up only about an inch off the ground, which I know isn't right.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #71
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Searched my pics and found this one. Hopefully that helps...

Old 03-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #72
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Wow, that's a clean engine bay. Okay, so I'm close as far as the routing goes, but what happens to the tubes after they go by the power steering pump? Like I said, mine are barely above the ground if I drop them straight down. I was unsure if there was another way they should be routed, or if I was good to trim them up a few inches.

Yes, I realize I'm putting a little too much effort into simple rain water drains, but I figured this is the last thing I have to do for this car. Might as well do it correctly.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #73
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Wow, that's a clean engine bay. Okay, so I'm close as far as the routing goes, but what happens to the tubes after they go by the power steering pump? Like I said, mine are barely above the ground if I drop them straight down. I was unsure if there was another way they should be routed, or if I was good to trim them up a few inches.

Yes, I realize I'm putting a little too much effort into simple rain water drains, but I figured this is the last thing I have to do for this car. Might as well do it correctly.
Thanks! I'll see if I can get a photo tonight. I believe mine are tied down in at least one more location.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #74
Big Ron
Original 03 TR Owner

Just cut the tubes to the desired length. It's not like water from rain or car wash would be coming out like a faucet that was turned on. It's gonna be like a drip...drip...drip.

Just be sure you have the fender emblems going in the right direction!

Car looks nice. Good work.

Big Ron
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #75
Mach1BullittMan
Blue Mach 1 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_mach1 View Post
Searched my pics and found this one. Hopefully that helps...

Hey ab_mach1 where did you get your Mach 1 coil covers from?

2014 Blue Stang GT Convertible with White strips 5.0
6 Speed Automatic Wife Daily Driver/Toy
2013 Stang GT 5.0 Grabber Blue 6 Spd Son's Daily Driver/Street Drag Car
2004 Blue Mach 1 4.6 32V 5 Spd R Code Factory Shaker My New Toy
1999 Blue Stang - 4.6 16V 4 Spd Auto GT Daughters Daily Driver
1990 Blue Stang 351W 5 Spd Son's Drag Strip Only Car
1969 Blue Mach 1 428CJ R Code 4Spd My Original Toy SOLD

Blue Is The Fastest

Mach1BullittMan is offline   Reply With Quote