2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > Surveys & POLLS

Surveys & POLLS Post Registry-wide gerneral surveys and polls here.

View Poll Results: Who has had the dreaded "tick"?
No. Have never had it. 225 69.02%
Yes, have or currently have it. 101 30.98%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2004, 12:55 PM   #26
Medium Cool

The paranoia continues. If you have the real "tick", which is really an unsettling metallic rap, you should already be at the dealers demanding a repair. I have heard this phenomenon, especially on the unfortunate Cobras, and it will get your attention.

A 4 cam, 32 valve motor, manly injectors, and with more chain activity than a dungeon, will make all sorts of noise. If it worries you (a general "you"), then why hasn't it been assessed, docummented, and repaired?
Medium Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:44 PM   #27
CMcCarthy
Former Mach 1 owner

Mine developed the tick 13k miles. I took it to the dealer and they said it can't be fixed. I'm going to take it to the two other dealers in town and if I can't get resolution I'm going to sue.
CMcCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 01:56 AM   #28
Mach1driver

Quote:
Originally posted by CMcCarthy
Mine developed the tick 13k miles. I took it to the dealer and they said it can't be fixed. I'm going to take it to the two other dealers in town and if I can't get resolution I'm going to sue.
Mine has had the tick since day one although oddly enough it was not very loud. When I went to one of the SVTPerformance dyno days back in Feb '03 a couple of the Cobra guys mentioned that theirs started out exactly the same and I should keep a close watch on it. Right around 10k miles it got louder and louder. You can hear it easily 10-15 feet away from the car even with the hood closed. It's embarrasing pulling into a drive-through, gas station etc because the echo off the walls/pumps makes it even louder. I've taken it to 3 different dealers now and all of them tell me it's normal and there is nothing they can do. This last time I actually had the service writer tell me to keep the windows rolled up and to turn up the radio if it bothered me so much!

I'm going to take it back to one of the dealers again as they never documented that I brought it in. If they don't fix it I will go back to the dealer I purchased it from and give them another chance to fix it, if they don't I am going to do the lemon law thing asfighting with different dealers over the tick and transmission issue are ridiculous.
Mach1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:21 PM   #29
SS2001

If you have the 'tick' you WILL know it. It is painfully obvious, not something you 'think' you hear. My 02 GT had it that's why I have the Mach now, so far no worries with the Mach. I will be listening though.....
SS2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:11 AM   #30
hammerboss

Post ssm from ford

:LAUGH: at our store we only sold two 04 mach 1s so as a service director i was suprised to read about the dreded engine (tick) my car is been driven verry little in the six moths I have had it 1102 miles no (tick) i logged on to my ford site and found a special service message that states a light tick herd by the wheel whells is normal but if it determined to excessive,follow normal diag. prceedures.ssm#17858 ask your daeler for a copy .I must ad as a manager and a customer who should decide if your (tick)is loud enough for repair my position is there should be no noise at all maybe a little injector noise in closeing remember one thing the service people at your dealer will make that dicision for you dont beat them up ask to see a field service enginer to resolve your conerns and MAKE SHURE YOU DOCUMENT EVERY VISIT BY GETTING A COPY OF YOUR REPAIR ORDERS good luck.
just wheels
66 Coupe 351 stroker
9 inch detroit locker
411 ratio moser axles
4 speed so fast !!!!!

Last edited by hammerboss; 08-23-2004 at 12:15 AM.
hammerboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:39 AM   #31
03greymach1

Re: No tick....but

I have a TICK from the left side. I have the newer heads (blue paint on the inside)

I also have piston slap. Only 26000KM

Quote:
Originally posted by grodgers
I *do* have piston slap in at least one cylinder - gonna get fixed when I go on vacation

Going in soon for a check up

Let you know how it goes.
03greymach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #32
CMcCarthy
Former Mach 1 owner

The fix for piston slap is a new engine, by the way.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:41 PM   #33
03greymach1

I figured as much since it would be too time sonsuming to tear down the engine and fix it.

Much simpler for them to replace the thing... oh well.. hope I'm wrong in my diagnosis.

How would you describe piston slap (sound wise)

???

Quote:
The fix for piston slap is a new engine, by the way.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:11 PM   #34
CMcCarthy
Former Mach 1 owner

Heck with it, just tell 'em "It has piston slap". No sense trying to make it look like you don't know what the sound is. You know what it is, and they know what it is, so let them replace the motor. It's that simple.

The biggest problem is going to be that the new motor will have piston slap too. They all do to some extent. It's the nature of a mass produced hi-perf engine. They could put cast pistons in it and cure the slap, but who would want that crap?
Old 08-26-2004, 01:54 PM   #35
chawkins

Angry

YES mine makes the noise sounds like a dam sewing machine after engine warms up
chawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 05:06 PM   #36
stonespony

Mach 1 Powered By Singer

Mine has 6000 miles - has been ticking since 1700. Ford dealership refuses to fix it - blowing it off as a 'normal' sound that ALL 4.6 DOHC engines make. Time to get rid of this piece of crap and go back to imports - because I'd rather sacrifice (a lot) of performance than own a $30k Mustang that sounds like a $30k sewing machine!

Ford Sucks!
Old 09-14-2004, 09:02 PM   #37
XCELR8

Re: Mach 1 Powered By Singer

Quote:
Originally posted by stonespony
Mine has 6000 miles - has been ticking since 1700. Ford dealership refuses to fix it - blowing it off as a 'normal' sound that ALL 4.6 DOHC engines make. Time to get rid of this piece of crap and go back to imports - because I'd rather sacrifice (a lot) of performance than own a $30k Mustang that sounds like a $30k sewing machine!

Ford Sucks!
haha I used to own imports..... I'm a domestic driver for a reason now.
XCELR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:28 PM   #38
Machofmanhattan
Rex R

Hey guys, My mach has almost 10K miles on it and I checked for the "tick" today. When the motor was cold, and warming up i could hear a faint higher pitch nois coming from down in the engine. That soon went away when it warmed up, and the only noise I could hear was a loud, higher pitch noise coming from around the intake manifold, and fuel line area. Is this the injector's noise? Just wondering about that. Thanks a lot guys.

Gone but not Forgotten:
2008 JSB Corvette Z06 526rwhp/492rwtq (H/C/E)
2003 TR Mach 1 492rwhp/434rwtq (Procharged 8psi)
2003 AB Mach 1 438rwhp/490rwtq (100 NX Shot)
Machofmanhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:48 AM   #39
ShakerMach1

Had two '04 Comp. Orange Machs with "the tick". First one Ford took back and replaced with another ticker. Second one was fixed under warrenty. No problems after 2100 miles.
ShakerMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:22 PM   #40
ShakeMe

Quote:
Originally posted by Machofmanhattan
Hey guys, My mach has almost 10K miles on it and I checked for the "tick" today. When the motor was cold, and warming up i could hear a faint higher pitch nois coming from down in the engine. That soon went away when it warmed up, and the only noise I could hear was a loud, higher pitch noise coming from around the intake manifold, and fuel line area. Is this the injector's noise? Just wondering about that. Thanks a lot guys.
You don't have to listen for the tick, it will come up and say Hi. If the noise that you are hearing is not annoying, then it is probably the injectors spraying. My 03 now has over 6600 miles and still no tick. I also have been racing it since it had 335 miles on it. 6600 rpm shifts and banging(and missing) gears. The majority of the miles have come from driving to and from track.

Feb 09 N2O 10.91 @ 124.21(1.55 60ft)
Feb 09 NA 11.85 @ 112.87 (1.60 60ft)
ShakeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:04 PM   #41
2k4mach
LuLz

wow old thread brought up from the dead.
since when i posted saying i didnt have the tick things have changed, i have the tick now with 2732 miles on it. Ive had it since probably 2500 or so just thought it was an exhaust leak but took care of that this evening and im still ticking.
Dont know when ill take it into ford. Id rather wait it out a little while and see if they release a real fix for it.
04 DSG Mach 1 (stolen)
03 OW Mach 1 (sitting in a field rotting away)
2k4mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 07:29 PM   #42
03greymach1

Does this apply to a 2003 Mach1? I read the TSB and it says COBRA ONLY.

TSB # 03-11-4

Does the COBRA and MACH1 have the same cylinder heads?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:15 PM   #43
BluStang6

I have the tick.....going to the dealership when I get the bumper repainted from when i get rear ended

Can the tick be harmful to the engine?

Show
Mach 1 Headrests
Mach 1 3rd rear taillight decal
Black rear bumper inserts
Mach 1 scuff plates
Interior ID tag
Window Tint
MRT hood struts

Go
310 hp 332 tq
Tune by HPP Racing
SLP Catback
O/R Prochamber
FRPP Alum Driveshaft
MGW Short Throw Shifter
PHP Intake Spacer
C&L CAI
85mm MAF
Full Length Subframes
BluStang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:57 PM   #44
machtom77

There's a new TSB out because we just replaced a head on a cobra. I haven't read the whole TSB but I understand it is specific to the Cobra and the driver's side head. The problem with that is that left, right, cobra, mach, all the same. Supposidely it's a valve guide or lifter bore wear issue. I'll look it up at work tomorrow.

Mine had the tick after I got it with 4500. I haven't heard or noticed the tick in a while. I diagnosed mine on the right head though. I'm not too worried about it.

'83 F150 4X4
machtom77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:12 AM   #45
SSmith440

My Mach has the tick but mine is waaaay louder than any tick. I think it is more of a tack-metal-on-metal sounds like a piston skirt to cylinder wall to me kinda noise. 1,200 miles on the motor and the dealer currently has it. We shall see what happens. I'll keep you all updated as soon as I know I'll let you know. Thanks Scott
SSmith440@hotmail.com
SSmith440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:30 AM   #46
03greymach1

Quote:
Originally posted by SSmith440
My Mach has the tick but mine is waaaay louder than any tick. I think it is more of a tack-metal-on-metal sounds like a piston skirt to cylinder wall to me kinda noise. 1,200 miles on the motor and the dealer currently has it. We shall see what happens. I'll keep you all updated as soon as I know I'll let you know. Thanks Scott
SSmith440@hotmail.com
Doesn't sound good. Is it all the time or just when cold for the first 5 to 10 minutes?

I have something similar, I have been told by the dealer it is piston slap. They say if it goes away after 10 minutes of driving that it is normal. I know better, piston slap is a very bad thing.

I'm going to another dealer who in my opinion is more techincally compitent and get their opinion.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2004, 02:44 PM   #47
03greymach1

Quote:
Heck with it, just tell 'em "It has piston slap". No sense trying to make it look like you don't know what the sound is. You know what it is, and they know what it is, so let them replace the motor. It's that simple.

The biggest problem is going to be that the new motor will have piston slap too. They all do to some extent. It's the nature of a mass produced hi-perf engine. They could put cast pistons in it and cure the slap, but who would want that crap?
Well after a trip to the dealer the fluffed it off as normal... if it goes away after 10 minutes of driving from cold.

I hate it when all they do it read you some BS from the HOTLINE and say sorry can't do anything.

Now...where was that lemon thread...

Old 11-11-2004, 10:32 PM   #48
blugrass19

Hi,
I just recently got my Mach1 and was wondering if this tick could be associated with the chain drive to the overhead cams? The old sohc 427's I think I read about on the Galaxy club website made all kind's of noise's. Could just be normal Horsepower sounds.
Anyway just my 02
blugrass19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:07 PM   #49
Mach&Roll
On the aftermarket trail

Mine ticks at the stop lights and seems to be louder when the clutch is in. Am I crazy or do I just listen better when the clutch is in? I hope they take my motor and give me a new one. That would be cool. I would see if they could snag a cobra motor and I would pay the difference.

2005 Mustang Gt
* 20" wheels
* Flowmaster Axel Back Exhaust
* K&N CAI Intake
* SCT custom tune
* Pypes X-Pipe
* Shaker 1000 audio system

2004 White Mach 1
* Super Forty Flowmaster Mufflers
* Bassani On/Off road X-pipe
* Air Silencer Removed
* K&N Drop in Filter

Mach&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:03 PM   #50
BluStang6

Took her in

Took the Mach in the other day to see what they would say. When the guy came out i told him that i think i have head a head tick and he looked at me and said he had never heard of that in his life. But he took the car and researched some stuff and then called me and told me it was a normal sound but to bring it back if it got louder. I thought it was already loud enought since i could hear it from inside the car w/the windows up. I think he just didnt want to have to deal with it. There isnt a TSB for this yet is there?

Show
Mach 1 Headrests
Mach 1 3rd rear taillight decal
Black rear bumper inserts
Mach 1 scuff plates
Interior ID tag
Window Tint
MRT hood struts

Go
310 hp 332 tq
Tune by HPP Racing
SLP Catback