2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  


Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
BONESTOCK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 2,037
OK guys! Tell me what to get for the upgrade!

Ok....so last outing I popped the spider gears after many years!




I've got the rear end out. Gonna clean it up and paint it.




So....what would you do? I plan to run at around 700-800rwhp. It has a faceplated TKO-600.

I'm thinking Strange c-clip eliminator's, spool, 31 or 35 spline axles, 3:55 gears.

Any suggestions?
__________________
2004 Torch Red Procharged Mach 1
BONESTOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
glittle75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 51
Re: OK guys! Tell me what to get for the upgrade!

9” and be done. Never have to worry about it again. That’s my plan if mine ever breaks. If keeping the 8.8 is the only option, 31 spline and a nice TrakLoc would likely be enough for a while.
glittle75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
BONESTOCK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 2,037
Re: OK guys! Tell me what to get for the upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittle75 View Post
9” and be done. Never have to worry about it again. That’s my plan if mine ever breaks. If keeping the 8.8 is the only option, 31 spline and a nice TrakLoc would likely be enough for a while.
Oh no. I don't need the added weight of a 9".

This is a mostly strip car now with occasional street time. It only has 19k miles! ha.

But yeah...I think a spool is best. I don't need the slip for street use.
__________________
2004 Torch Red Procharged Mach 1
BONESTOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
311-420
Artificially Aspirated
 
311-420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 🚦
Posts: 6,914
Re: OK guys! Tell me what to get for the upgrade!

Would a Detroit locker not be enough? They still unlock and let you roll around corners if you need to but are said to be pretty bulletproof. Wouldn't have to go chirping around corners and grinding the tires off like a spool. Could be a good compromise to keep the car fun and effective on and off the track. Never built a car to 800hp before so disregard the advice if it isn't any good!
__________________
2004 O/W Mach 1
5spd I.U.P. Eaton
D.O.B. 4/15/04
#6956 of 7182
452hp/409tq
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
glittle75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 51
Re: OK guys! Tell me what to get for the upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONESTOCK View Post
Oh no. I don't need the added weight of a 9".

This is a mostly strip car now with occasional street time. It only has 19k miles! ha.

But yeah...I think a spool is best. I don't need the slip for street use.
A 9" weighs around 20lbs more than an 8.8. But if you pick up an aluminum center section they are very close in weight. For a mostly strip car, the 9" would give the most longevity without having to upgrade it later. You can throw so much at a 9" and it will never even blink. But the 8.8 always has the chance to skip the pinion right up the ring, no matter how strong the axles are. There is less engagement on an 8.8 ring vs a 9".

Spool or mini spool in place of your broken spiders, is great as well if mostly strip!
glittle75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:20 AM   #6
logan03co
Registered User
 
logan03co's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ?,Colorado
Posts: 204
Re: OK guys! Tell me what to get for the upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittle75 View Post
A 9"You can throw so much at a 9" and it will never even blink.
I'm starting to get more interested in upgrading my setup to A 9". Any recommendations on location to purchase or best/popular brands? as well as good install write ups or places with detailed information? I'm a research type of guy! Thanks for any information you can provide.
__________________
2003 Torch Red Ford Mustang Mach 1 Owner.

A couple upgrades completed & many more waiting!
logan03co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
BONESTOCK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 2,037
Re: OK guys! Tell me what to get for the upgrade!

Yeah. I guess I'd have to start looking into a 9". Never crossed my mind to go that route as I'm not going to be making so much power that the 8.8" wouldn't be enough. Plus I've put work into this rearend. Welded tubes and that axle brace since new. I think I had 100 miles on the car when I did that.
__________________
2004 Torch Red Procharged Mach 1
BONESTOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #8
glittle75
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 51
Re: OK guys! Tell me what to get for the upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONESTOCK View Post
Yeah. I guess I'd have to start looking into a 9". Never crossed my mind to go that route as I'm not going to be making so much power that the 8.8" wouldn't be enough. Plus I've put work into this rearend. Welded tubes and that axle brace since new. I think I had 100 miles on the car when I did that.
Strange makes a hell of an 8.8 setup if you want to stay with the housing you have. They make a 35 spline 'gun drilled' race axle. Very light and strong. Around $800 all together.

https://www.strangeengineering.net/p...stud-kit.html/

They make a slightly cheaper kit with alloy axles instead of forged as well.

Maybe something to consider as well.
glittle75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #9
BONESTOCK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 2,037
Re: OK guys! Tell me what to get for the upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittle75 View Post
Strange makes a hell of an 8.8 setup if you want to stay with the housing you have. They make a 35 spline 'gun drilled' race axle. Very light and strong. Around $800 all together.

https://www.strangeengineering.net/p...stud-kit.html/

They make a slightly cheaper kit with alloy axles instead of forged as well.

Maybe something to consider as well.
Nice!! Yeah...I'm gonna go with that kit!
__________________
2004 Torch Red Procharged Mach 1
BONESTOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2002-2013 Mach1Registry.com

<