2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #1
glittle75

Engine build for all the boost!

Hey everyone! For the last 10 years, I have had a very nicely modified Mach that ran like a dream and took lots of hits on the street and track.

A simple run down of the car before now.
03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, non-IUP
Kenne Bell 2.1 @ 9psi
Stock Longblock
Stock Trans
PMP clutch
Steeda Tri Ax
60lb Injectors
Cobra tank, dual GT Supercar pumps
KB BAP
JLT CAI
SLP Longtubes
SLP X
Borla "Stingers"
FRPP Aluminum DS
4.10 Gears
GT Rear brake swap
17x4 / 15x10 Dark Star wheels
Hoosier bias ply fronts and bias ply QTP rears
UPR Tubular K & A arms
UPR Coil overs
UPR Control arms

I'm sure I am missing a few things. But the car made 490 RWHP on 93 with an awesome tune up from Fastlane Motorsports in Benson, NC.
Best time was 11.2 @ 127mph.

About a month ago, I was having a little too much fun with a 4 door Hellcat and ended up popping the motor.

Pulled it to find that it bent a rod, ripped the wrist pin out of the piston, and blew the side of the cylinder out.

So now I am in process of building the motor. The plan as of now is to turn the little 2.1 all the way up, and see how much steam it can produce. Ride it like that for a while, put together eaton swap parts and jam a huge twin screw on it.

Pics to come!

Last edited by glittle75; 03-21-2020 at 09:28 PM.
glittle75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
glittle75

Re: Engine build for all the boost!

So far I have accrued:
Stock 03 Cobra rods
Manley Flat Tops, Steel rings
Boundary Gears
-8 Fuel line from tank to rail
Todd Warren Cams, spec'd for the build

I also got a block that is going .030" over, reusing my stock crank, and valve springs from Todd as well. The heads are getting .010" shaved off, and should be 11:1 compression. The car will be on E85.

Everything is currently at the machine shop getting balanced. I will be assembling this myself with my daughter as a project for us. She is 10 and loves helping in the garage with anything I do.

I will update as it goes, and try to take tons of pics as I go.

Last edited by glittle75; 03-21-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
glittle75

While the machine shop does their thing, I decided to paint a few parts. I found the closest thing to "vantablack" that is available to consumers. It is called Black 2.0, by Stuart Semple. It is the blackest black you can get. So far I painted the TB (BBK twin 65) the blower inlet and the valve covers.

It looks stupidly good in person. It is super black, matte and light consuming.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #4
BONESTOCK

Nice!! Following!
Old 03-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
machdude

Very nice! How many miles on the old setup before she let go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: K&N drop filter, Full Mac exhaust with Lt headers, 4:10 gears, eibach sport line springs, tubular cross member, steeda short throw
machdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
TKat13
Mach-T

that hurts; can't wait to see more progress.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:14 AM   #7
hotford

Build it and they will come!

Following...…..
2011 Shelby GT 500
hotford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:55 AM   #8
311-420
Can't be bridled

Bad *** car! Should surpass 600rw with that compression, corn and cams, not even upping the boost. Can't wait to see this build unfold.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
TKat13
Mach-T

They say things disappear when using that black; I would love to see it in person when you are done just to witness the black 2.0.

Pretty cool idea and good luck with the build.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #10
glittle75

Quote:
Originally Posted by machdude View Post
Very nice! How many miles on the old setup before she let go?
She rode with 9 psi from 17k all the way to 40k. So 23k with no issues. But this was a weekend only car. Its been almost 10 years since the KB went on. Lots of track days and late night highway blasts with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
Bad *** car! Should surpass 600rw with that compression, corn and cams, not even upping the boost. Can't wait to see this build unfold.
Thanks!
700 is the dream number, but ill be happy with anything over 600 honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
They say things disappear when using that black; I would love to see it in person when you are done just to witness the black 2.0.

Pretty cool idea and good luck with the build.
Thanks! If all goes well the car will be at MW this year. It looks better in person, the images don't do it justice. I'm also going to do the timing cover and the shaker.

So this whole lockdown has put me a bit behind schedule. The machine shop has a reduced staff, and I also don't want to fork out another $1000 for the clutch, gaskets, fluids, etc. in the face of this thing. It may be more useful to have that cash in hand in the next few weeks.

But the machine shop bill is already paid. So as soon as they are done I can at least assemble and install the engine.

More updates to come! Thanks for all the support!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:22 AM   #11
311-420
Can't be bridled

What rpms were you turning the stock engine to?
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 03-26-2020, 02:05 AM   #12
hotford

Quote:
Heck that will be easy!!

The motor I just dropped in my Mach was from my bro's cobra, it's a stock 03 cobra motor with headers and a 2.9 whip made 635 rwhp on 93 pump through a 4R70w trans and when we put it on E 85 it made 704 rwhp @ 21 psi.

Ive made some slight mods and its ready to be re dynode next month..
2011 Shelby GT 500
Old 03-26-2020, 02:59 AM   #13
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotford View Post
Heck that will be easy!!

The motor I just dropped in my Mach was from my bro's cobra, it's a stock 03 cobra motor with headers and a 2.9 whip made 635 rwhp on 93 pump through a 4R70w trans and when we put it on E 85 it made 704 rwhp @ 21 psi.

Ive made some slight mods and its ready to be re dynode next month..
I don't see there being any issue getting past 600 with his 9psi. Maybe closer to 700 if he can turn that 2.1 up enough.
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 03-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #14
glittle75

Quote:
What rpms were you turning the stock engine to?
Shift light set at 6700, probly spinning to 6800-7000 on the regular. N2MB WOT box, so no lift shifting every time.

Quote:
I don't see there being any issue getting past 600 with his 9psi. Maybe closer to 700 if he can turn that 2.1 up enough.
Hopefully!

Machine shop got ahold of me today. Total Seal shorted me a ring, so as soon as it gets here and that all can be balanced it will be assembly time.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #15
glittle75

Some progress from the last couple days. Picked up everything from the machine shop. Block is .030", everything was balanced, cleaned, etc.

Started to assemble what I could. I got incorrect rod bearings sent, so I am waiting for those to come in today.

Block cleaned, crank installed, rings filed and ready for assembly.

Top is .025" second ring is .027"

I put quick seat on the cylinders. The green tinted ones have quick seat on them, the shiny ones don't. Took pics for comparison.

Oil pump gears from boundary installed, oil pump housing cleaned. They look so nice, its a shame they get hidden inside the pump lol

Heads cleaned, new seals, valves and springs going in. (Yes I did it in the living room lol)

Had a question about the lubricants I am using.
Driven by Joe Gibbs lubricants are considered the gold standard when it comes to assembly and break in.
They make AL8 for Total Seal. This is a thinner lube and is meant for the piston skirts, pins, and rings.

HVL (High Viscosity Lube) is their thicker lube, this is meant for bearings, oil pump gears, etc. I will be using it in the bottom end of the engine.

Engine assembly grease is very thick and is meant for the top end of the engine. I will be using it on the cams and all the valvetrain components.

I will be using BR30 oil to break in the engine. Also made by Driven.

The only other lubricant I will be using is ARP's fastener lube.

Once the Fedex guy shows up today I will be fully assembling the engine, hanging the trans on it, and installing it in the car. Ill take lots of pics and update when I can!
Old 04-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #16
machdude

Awesome! I’m anxious to do mine soon before it blows. Are you reusing the stock timing components? Chains etc

Mods: K&N drop filter, Full Mac exhaust with Lt headers, 4:10 gears, eibach sport line springs, tubular cross member, steeda short throw
machdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #17
glittle75

Quote:
Originally Posted by machdude View Post
Awesome! I’m anxious to do mine soon before it blows. Are you reusing the stock timing components? Chains etc

Yes, spoke to a few people, and for the low mileage I have on the car, everything should be fine to reuse.
I will be just filing the stock gears in order to degree the cams.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:25 PM   #18
glittle75

Last part order showed up today. It was very weird and the ARP bolt packaging was open. The side bolt kit I was sent was not what I ordered as well. So I have to return it and get the correct bolts before I can continue. But everything else was good.
Mcleod clutch
Friction surface for flywheel
Break in oil
Loctite Anaerobic sealer for blower parts.
ARP crank bolt, cam bots and side bolts.

Also a few more misc. tools.

Once the side bolts get here, hopefully beginning of the week, the build can commence.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:08 AM   #19
BONESTOCK

Nice! Are you using a resource for the engine assembly? Like an online tutorial? Youtube video? Book? I'd like to try it someday but the thought of doing it wrong is nerve racking.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #20
glittle75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONESTOCK View Post
Nice! Are you using a resource for the engine assembly? Like an online tutorial? Youtube video? Book? I'd like to try it someday but the thought of doing it wrong is nerve racking.
Using the ARP website for bolt torques. But not to much other than that. Honestly once the machine work is done, you are just bolting things together. It’s not difficult. This is not my first mod motor. But there are tons of great resources online. Here is one that is the Factory Ford PDF to assemble a 4v modular:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/Cobr...e_Assembly.pdf

Torque for fasteners is the thing that needs to be very precise. All the parts fall in place easily. All the hard work is done by the machinists lol.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #21
glittle75

More progress this weekend. Side bolts came in, verified they were real. And started bolting stuff together.
Got the pistons in, everything went together very smooth.

Got everything buttoned up on the crank and rods, installed ARP hardware. Then installed the DSS girdle. With a 2 bolts main, some of the bigger shops have seen the main caps walk. So we will give it a shot. It is a very well made piece. Requires the oil pickup tube and hardware to be modified a bit, nothing major.

Used a dial to find TDC and check piston to deck height. At TDC, the pistons are .012" below deck.

Put the heads on, started putting the cams in. Lobe lift for these are .495" each. Too high for the cam cap clearance. All the exhaust cam lobes were hitting the cam caps and the intake lobes had only .005" clearance at most. I used a carbide bit on a die grinder to get most of the clearance done, maybe .008". Then finished with a file by hand to ensure .010" feeler clearance between all the lobes and caps. I did not want the caps to act as scrapers by having a real tight clearance.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #22
glittle75

After that, I was able to install the cams and begin the degree process. These cams call for a 110 Intake Centerline, and 118 Exhaust Centerline. I was able to get them both within half~ish a degree. The right bank (passenger) side I was able to get it to 109.75 ICL and 117.75 ECL without modifying anything. They started at 112 and 120 just installed rough, there was enough play in the cam gears to get the 2 degrees needed. The Left bank was a different story. I started with 118 ICL and 126 ECL. Using the slop in the gears, I was able to get it down to 114/122. So I took the primary gear out, filed the keyway on the gear a little at a time. I was able to get it to 110.25 and 118.25 centerlines. Took two times of filing to get it right.

Degreeing is not as difficult as it seems. This was my first time doing a 4v. Only done 2v's before. I would say it took 5 hours all together. 1 hour per cam because I would triple check every cam after it read correctly for the first time. And an hour of setup, cleaning, and filing.

After that was done, I installed the tensioners, lash adjusters and followers. Rotated the engine a ton by hand and lubed the chains and guides for a final time. Started to put all the covers on. Pan, timing and valve covers.

Decided to grab some stainless hardware for the valve cover and coil covers.

Sent the wife out for a gas can and some E85 to start the car with, this is what she comes back with...lol

Tomorrow I will have some time to keep going. Will post more when I get the chance!
Old 04-13-2020, 01:30 AM   #23
hotford

Great work!!
2011 Shelby GT 500
Old 04-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #24
BONESTOCK

So awesome!
Old 04-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #25
BONESTOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittle75 View Post
Using the ARP website for bolt torques. But not to much other than that. Honestly once the machine work is done, you are just bolting things together. It’s not difficult. This is not my first mod motor. But there are tons of great resources online. Here is one that is the Factory Ford PDF to assemble a 4v modular:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/Cobr...e_Assembly.pdf

Torque for fasteners is the thing that needs to be very precise. All the parts fall in place easily. All the hard work is done by the machinists lol.
Thanks!