2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Best Mustang Parts

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #26
03BumbleBee
Registered User
 
03BumbleBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SunRiver Ca.
Posts: 3,183
Re: Ford get it together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
Now if I can just get them to cover the underpaint corrosion on the Boss 302s hood.

:boeg:
Please explain?
__________________
If we were all ugly, then we would all be good looking!

Welcome to the Mach 1 Cafe!
"Today's Special..Smoked Honda"
Finally a member of 10,000 mile club!
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #27
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1
 
falcongtho3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 15,930
Re: Ford get it together!

The hood on '13/'14 cars are corroding beneath the paint. I suspect it is either poor prep or dielectric corrosion. Either way the paint on the leading edge corners of the hood cn bubble up form underneath. Ford won't fix it because it cars are not only out of warranty, but also because the paint is not peeling off. It's ugle and the only fix is to replace the hood, which obviously would require not only a repaint, but also some very expensive stripes replaced on the Bosses like mine.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...g-already.html

__________________
Krewe de la Mach Rouge

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #28
03BumbleBee
Registered User
 
03BumbleBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SunRiver Ca.
Posts: 3,183
Re: Ford get it together!

Thanks for the explanation, so Ford makes an Iconic Limited Edition Mustang and can't get it right! They know people who bought and own these cars are not your average Mustang Fan....they deserve better.
__________________
If we were all ugly, then we would all be good looking!

Welcome to the Mach 1 Cafe!
"Today's Special..Smoked Honda"
Finally a member of 10,000 mile club!
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #29
AlloyPony
Registered User
 
AlloyPony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 149
Re: Ford get it together!

Funny because I was thinking in the shower this morning about how I grew up a Ford fan all my life, even before I could drive. My first vehicle at 16 was a Ford F-150. Since then I've had numerous F-150s, Rangers, Mustangs, etc. Our family were Ford people.

But over the last several years that's gone away. Ford has alienated their consumers, and so I have decided to likewise alienate them.

The Mustang went WAY down hill with the 2005 model. Rusting/corrosion on the hoods, door panels literally falling off, cheap seats, cheap interiors, less reliable drivetrain, poor body sealing, etc. I had a 2008 GT that was garbage.

Then they ruined the F-150 by trying to force-feed guys that EcoBoost engine family. The result was an engine that drank fuel faster than a V8 while towing, with numerous common problems, a TSB/recall list a mile long, at a very high cost to the end user. There is Z E R O benefit to the "Eco"Boost engine family in the real world, yet Ford continues to this day to force-feed consumers the lie that these engines are more efficient, completely ignoring the turbo failures, intercooler failures, direct injection issues with carbon coking the valve stems, timing chain issues, etc. etc.

Next, they bring back the Ranger, a truck they never should have killed to start with, and try to pass it off as a "new" truck...when the truth is it's an 8 year old truck that has plastic parts slapped on it to try and make it blend in with the rest of the Ford portfolio in the U.S. Have you guys seen the exterior door keypad, or the add-on trailer brake controller, or the terrible dash that they pulled from a 2011 Edge, or the unusable storage in the rear of that 2019 Ranger? It's atrocious. And yet, they expect consumers to drop $40,000 for a mid-level crew cab 4x4 version.

Ford has totally lost their way. FCA (GASP) is the only "Domestic" automaker remaining that's actually building what people want. It's sad.
__________________
2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Mac O/R H-pipe - Ford Racing driveshaft - Modified air intake - Nitto Motivo 315/35s on 10.5" FR500 wheels - Steeda clutch adjuster
AlloyPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #30
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach
 
DSG2003Mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,190
Re: Ford get it together!

the ecoboost line is 100% a by product of CAFE standards and flawed EPA testing - the ecoboost does well in testing despite real world performance but not meeting the standards brings big financial penalties. GM is doing the displacement on demand instead and it's junk too with loads of its own troubles.

the carbon on the intake valves is a problem with every direct injection setup, if you notice they are correcting it and that's why all the new stuff has both traditional and direct injection fueling.

my 2012 ecoboost in 95k miles has needed a water pump and one set of spark plugs.
__________________
03 dsg mach1 - MPR built 9.5:1 motor, D1, cams, ported intake, full exhaust, magnum t56, built rear, E85 etc...

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #31
HAEG
Heppasketties
 
HAEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mercer County, NJ
Posts: 4,560
Re: Ford get it together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
The hood on '13/'14 cars are corroding beneath the paint. I suspect it is either poor prep or dielectric corrosion. Either way the paint on the leading edge corners of the hood cn bubble up form underneath. Ford won't fix it because it cars are not only out of warranty, but also because the paint is not peeling off. It's ugle and the only fix is to replace the hood, which obviously would require not only a repaint, but also some very expensive stripes replaced on the Bosses like mine.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...g-already.html

Ford replaced and repainted my Shelby hood just a few weeks before the 3 year 36,000 mile ran out and I had to fight to get that fixed. The stripes probably cost as mush as the hood and paint repairs... It did look like crap. Other manufacturers are having similar issues with Aluminum and bad prep leading to the bubbling paint. Its rather upsetting when you care about your car enough to identify every nick and scratch and then see this ugly mess and the manufacturer is like yeah we know, live with it.
__________________
M1R Member #1829
2011 Shelby GT-500 Grabber Blue
W/SVT Performance Package
Born on Friday, 6-25-2010
Purchased 8-19-2010

2003 Zinc Yellow Auto I/UP (Build #8280 of 9652)
Born on Thursday, 7/17/03
Purchased 8-18-2003 first owner
Sold 8-19-2010 bought GT500
Purchased again 3-3-2017 fifth owner
Purchased for my wife to drive (but she knows I love the car)
HAEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #32
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach
 
DSG2003Mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 8,190
Re: Ford get it together!

hell, Im pretty sure 00 Cobra R owners had hood paint issues as well
__________________
03 dsg mach1 - MPR built 9.5:1 motor, D1, cams, ported intake, full exhaust, magnum t56, built rear, E85 etc...

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #33
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast
 
Tony Alonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,468
Re: Ford get it together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
The hood on '13/'14 cars are corroding beneath the paint. I suspect it is either poor prep or dielectric corrosion. Either way the paint on the leading edge corners of the hood cn bubble up form underneath. Ford won't fix it because it cars are not only out of warranty, but also because the paint is not peeling off. It's ugle and the only fix is to replace the hood, which obviously would require not only a repaint, but also some very expensive stripes replaced on the Bosses like mine.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...g-already.html

This actually goes all the way back to the 2005 model year. My previous 2007 and 2010 Mustang GTs had it, and I just replaced the hood of my 2009 Mustang Bullitt back in December.

There was an update to a previous TSB for the corrosion that was released recently. It says the following -

Quote:
This TSB supersedes TSB # 17-0062 to update vehicle model years.

Issue:
Some 2000 and newer Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles equipped with aluminum bodypanels may exhibit corrosion concerns appearing as bubbled and/or peeling paint with or without accompanying white dust.

Panel replacement is recommended.
The attached PDF has the full text of this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 19-2026 Aluminum Panel Corrosion.pdf (73.3 KB, 0 views)
__________________
Tony Alonso
'03 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Coupe (SOLD)
Azure Blue (code L5) w/IUP, 5-speed
VIN 345593, Built 11/21/2002
Delivered 12/5/2002 w/33.3 miles
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:01 PM   #34
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast
 
Tony Alonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,468
Re: Ford get it together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
The Mustang went WAY down hill with the 2005 model. Rusting/corrosion on the hoods, door panels literally falling off, cheap seats, cheap interiors, less reliable drivetrain, poor body sealing, etc. I had a 2008 GT that was garbage.
With the 2010 model year, there was an improvement in the interior materials, and the 4.6L 3V V8 was at the peak of it's development and was a good engine in my experience, although it clearly was down on power to the 2010 Camaro. That was addressed in 2011 with the first generation of the 5.0L Coyote 4V V8.

You are correct about the corrosion and the vinyl door panel sides dropping or separating in the 2005-2009. This wasn't something seen after 2010 after the interior was updated.

The current generation Mustangs are a step up, but a higher price point, of course. However, you can get 2015 Mustang GT models now for a reasonable price.
__________________
Tony Alonso
'03 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Coupe (SOLD)
Azure Blue (code L5) w/IUP, 5-speed
VIN 345593, Built 11/21/2002
Delivered 12/5/2002 w/33.3 miles
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #35
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast
 
Tony Alonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,468
Re: Ford get it together!

Regarding the OP's observations about Mustang issues, I don't remember a generation since I started buying them that didn't have some less-than-desirable characteristic that needed addressing.

In my previous beloved '03 Mach 1, I had grinding gears which resulted in a replacement T3650. That was something that a number of folks here who were early owners were dealing with not long after the new car purchase. Others experienced engine ticking noise, paint concerns, and decals not properly adhering. Remember the Mach 460 stereos where the CD player stopped working? Remember the blue smoke on start-up?

In my opinion, having had a 2015 Mustang GT from 2014 to September of last year (built within the first 2 weeks of the new model), and now a 2019 Mustang Bullitt, some of the YouTube videos over hype the engine and transmission issues.

I will agree that the Gen 3 Coyote 5.0L and the noise situation can be present more often than not, given the DI/PI set-up for fuel delivery, along with the spray-bore cylinder lining. It's one thing I was watching carefully before I bought my '19 Bullitt. It's been good so far over 3700 miles, despite some noise I do hear (ratlling noise at part throttle in the 2000-3000 RPM range in lower gears). If you want an in-depth discussion on it, the mustang6g forum has a number of threads about the "2K rattle". Supposedly a TSB is going to be released to address that issue. I've not had a problem with the MT-82 in either my '15 or my '19. Of course, I don't speed shift and jam the shifter like some who have experienced a problem. Yes, I am aware that others had problems with the shift forks bending even though they drove them normally.

Bottom line is that I think that there will always be something that needs addressing. The good thing is that forums like these help us to collectively identify concerns that then can get taken to Ford. My '03 Mach 1 gave me miles of smiles, despite some of the issues, just like my subsequent '07/'10''15 Mustang GTs did and my '19 Bullitt does now.

I am still a big Mustang fan, and just like when the Mach 1s here were new and shiny
__________________
Tony Alonso
'03 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Coupe (SOLD)
Azure Blue (code L5) w/IUP, 5-speed
VIN 345593, Built 11/21/2002
Delivered 12/5/2002 w/33.3 miles
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #36
03BumbleBee
Registered User
 
03BumbleBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SunRiver Ca.
Posts: 3,183
Re: Ford get it together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
Regarding the OP's observations about Mustang issues, I don't remember a generation since I started buying them that didn't have some less-than-desirable characteristic that needed addressing.

In my previous beloved '03 Mach 1, I had grinding gears which resulted in a replacement T3650. That was something that a number of folks here who were early owners were dealing with not long after the new car purchase. Others experienced engine ticking noise, paint concerns, and decals not properly adhering. Remember the Mach 460 stereos where the CD player stopped working? Remember the blue smoke on start-up?

In my opinion, having had a 2015 Mustang GT from 2014 to September of last year (built within the first 2 weeks of the new model), and now a 2019 Mustang Bullitt, some of the YouTube videos over hype the engine and transmission issues.

I will agree that the Gen 3 Coyote 5.0L and the noise situation can be present more often than not, given the DI/PI set-up for fuel delivery, along with the spray-bore cylinder lining. It's one thing I was watching carefully before I bought my '19 Bullitt. It's been good so far over 3700 miles, despite some noise I do hear (ratlling noise at part throttle in the 2000-3000 RPM range in lower gears). If you want an in-depth discussion on it, the mustang6g forum has a number of threads about the "2K rattle". Supposedly a TSB is going to be released to address that issue. I've not had a problem with the MT-82 in either my '15 or my '19. Of course, I don't speed shift and jam the shifter like some who have experienced a problem. Yes, I am aware that others had problems with the shift forks bending even though they drove them normally.

Bottom line is that I think that there will always be something that needs addressing. The good thing is that forums like these help us to collectively identify concerns that then can get taken to Ford. My '03 Mach 1 gave me miles of smiles, despite some of the issues, just like my subsequent '07/'10''15 Mustang GTs did and my '19 Bullitt does now.

I am still a big Mustang fan, and just like when the Mach 1s here were new and shiny
Hopefully Ford will work this all out and not ruin their sacred Cow. I too have been in a Mustang all my driving life, 1974 to present! I just hope all these deviations don't ruin the legend! Good post, you made a lot of statements I could relate to.
__________________
If we were all ugly, then we would all be good looking!

Welcome to the Mach 1 Cafe!
"Today's Special..Smoked Honda"
Finally a member of 10,000 mile club!
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #37
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast
 
Tony Alonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,468
Re: Ford get it together!

[QUOTE=Tony Alonso;1633541]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BumbleBee View Post
Hopefully Ford will work this all out and not ruin their sacred Cow. I too have been in a Mustang all my driving life, 1974 to present! I just hope all these deviations don't ruin the legend! Good post, you made a lot of statements I could relate to.
They didn't ruin the legend of the Mach 1 I do think Ford would be well suited to get ahead of the engine noise situation. There was an announcement about the "tick" being a normal characteristic, although I think a detailed explanation of what, where, and when the noises are heard would help people not mix up (and therefore overhype) things.
__________________
Tony Alonso
'03 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Coupe (SOLD)
Azure Blue (code L5) w/IUP, 5-speed
VIN 345593, Built 11/21/2002
Delivered 12/5/2002 w/33.3 miles
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #38
ShakeMe
Registered User
 
ShakeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TX.
Posts: 2,502
Re: Ford get it together!

[QUOTE=Tony Alonso;1633615]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post


There was an announcement about the "tick" being a normal characteristic, although I think a detailed explanation of what, where, and when the noises are heard would help people not mix up (and therefore overhype) things.
That's the thing Tony, a brand new engine should not be making those noises. Some noises are different than others so which ones are normal. If that is the new normal then they all should tick.
__________________
03 Mach DSG
Build Date 07/25/03

Feb 09 N2O 10.91 @ 124.21(1.55 60ft)
Feb 09 NA 11.85 @ 112.87 (1.60 60ft)
ShakeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #39
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast
 
Tony Alonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,468
Re: Ford get it together!

[QUOTE=ShakeMe;1633620]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post

That's the thing Tony, a brand new engine should not be making those noises. Some noises are different than others so which ones are normal. If that is the new normal then they all should tick.
The modular engines have been notorious for a ticking noise of some sort for a long time. What I think some people report as a tick is not the same as what I believe are more potential prominent noises from the spray bore liner or what is thought to be the cause of the rattle I hear in mine.

A video interview with an aftermarket engine builder talked about the potential production tolerances being a possible cause for one of the noises (the piston slap noise). That, of course, goes back to manufacturing capability.

That all said, having some detailed explanations of the sounds and their causes would certainly help those folks most sensitive to it.

My own preference would have been to leave the direct injection and spray bore technologies off the 5.0L V8 to lessen the likelihood of hearing extraneous noises, if those are truly the cause. Those were introduced though to have power and fuel economy benefits. I would take a little less noise and power, but that's just me.
__________________
Tony Alonso
'03 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Coupe (SOLD)
Azure Blue (code L5) w/IUP, 5-speed
VIN 345593, Built 11/21/2002
Delivered 12/5/2002 w/33.3 miles
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:23 AM   #40
ShakeMe
Registered User
 
ShakeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TX.
Posts: 2,502
Re: Ford get it together!

I saw the vid with Palm Beach Dyno and MPR(?) if that's the one you are referring to. It's just bad business to claim a $40-$50K car will make normal embarrassing noises. I do remember the squeaky passenger seat, 2nd gear grind, 03 passenger door misalignment, and the driver side head noise on the Mach back in the day.
__________________
03 Mach DSG
Build Date 07/25/03

Feb 09 N2O 10.91 @ 124.21(1.55 60ft)
Feb 09 NA 11.85 @ 112.87 (1.60 60ft)
ShakeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #41
03BumbleBee
Registered User
 
03BumbleBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SunRiver Ca.
Posts: 3,183
Re: Ford get it together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeMe View Post
I saw the vid with Palm Beach Dyno and MPR(?) if that's the one you are referring to. It's just bad business to claim a $40-$50K car will make normal embarrassing noises. I do remember the squeaky passenger seat, 2nd gear grind, 03 passenger door misalignment, and the driver side head noise on the Mach back in the day.
Of course Ford will call this normal, what other choice do they have. If it is normal, they should send an explanation to all owners and extend drivetrain warranty to ease their minds. The cost of cars today is out of sight, and spending that kind of money is a huge undertaking. I love our Mach and all the other Ford's we have owned, but people today are not brand loyal like yesteryear. I changed to 5W30 in the Mach after a year from new, and it helped the tick a lot. Recently I added Moly Lube from Germany and it is completely gone.
__________________
If we were all ugly, then we would all be good looking!

Welcome to the Mach 1 Cafe!
"Today's Special..Smoked Honda"
Finally a member of 10,000 mile club!
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #42
rich1
AUTOMACHTIC
 
rich1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RTP/ N.C.
Posts: 4,810
Re: Ford get it together!

The spray bore in the 18/19 block is out of round. Combine this with direct injection and bad ring seal is washing the cylinders down with gasoline. Several 1,500 mile engines have cylinder scoring and a lot of carbon in the head chambers. The Shelby GT 350 has the same problem as the GT does .The crime here is the GT 350 is twice as much as the GT .So Ford is changing intakes ,timing components and even blocks (spray bore again). What does the owner get back after the repair ? The same problem...come on Ford make it right or quit making it.
__________________
UPGRADES...Tokico Illuminas Borla SS Catback , Steeda Underdrives , Strut Brace , HPM Lower K Brace , L /C Arms , U /C Arms , HPM PanHard Bar, K&N FRPK 2, GOODYEAR GT1 , MRT- H-Pipe , JLT VaporTraps , SLP-12'" Tips! , FRPP Shorty 1 5/8 Headers , Brembo D/S & PBR D/S Rotors ,FRPP Alum.DS ,Roys 3/8 Spacer , SVT Focus 255 pump SCTsw Chip PRO-DYNOjet NA 300.01hp /315tq (Auto) ,Innovate W/B ,Compucar Wet Kit (90jet) + Heater and E Gauge * 360 hp/385tq 12.5 -1/4 @112
rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #43
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1
 
falcongtho3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 15,930
Re: Ford get it together!

That's probably why the GT500 5.2 is revised, and the GT350 will share the same updated block, but not the CPC of the 500.

__________________
Krewe de la Mach Rouge

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2002-2013 Mach1Registry.com

<