2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 08-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #76
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

Thumbs up Re: Lock-out, missed shifts - Mystery solved?

This was one of the best mods i got. i got the UPR one, my mach shifts like butter. even after the car is hot shifts amazing. love it. the only downside is it is alittle stiffer to push in. but for what it does it makes up for it.
ASH302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:10 AM   #77
Mach1 Of A Kind

Re: Lock-out, missed shifts - Mystery solved?

Well I talked to the best Mustang shop around here and he said the quadrant would help but in my case its probably to late. I pulled the trans and took it to him. He took it apart and the thing is shot. He said someone must have been power shifting this thing alot. Well I figured as much. He's going to build it up for me. I will keep you posted.
Mach1 Of A Kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:24 AM   #78
japan4racing
not builted

i plan on gettin an adjuster some time soon....so far best thing i ever did for my trans was buy a mgw orange handle. now im off to search for trans fluid she has 56k on her now...the time has definately come!
japan4racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #79
Rick911

Just ordered my set from lethal. Was at the track yesterday and I missed 3rd 3 times. It just didn't want to go in above 6000rpms. It did that to me a couple years back when I went to the track more often and I had seen this post but haddent ordered em. we'll see how it goes after.
- MAC O/R ProChamber
- Borla Catback Exhaust
- Mrt 3.5" Tips
- 2" drop
- mm camber plates
- Roush 18x9, 18x10
- bfg kdw's 275, 295
- 4:10 gears
- Jlt Filter
- Jlt Rai
- Sct Xcal2
Rick911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #80
Mach1 Of A Kind

Trans is rebuilt and installed. Fiore firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant installed as well. All I can say is wow does this thing shift like butter now. Trany has all the good stuff in it now and the builder said it will handle anything I throw at it.
Mach1 Of A Kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #81
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

i stand corrected bout mine, it shifts way better but when its cold **** does the leg get tired, its so **** stiff. so i'm going to try a different set up

Steeda double hook quad, and FW adj
Stock cable.
2013 RED Dodge Charger R/T Sold Nov 2014
2002 custom Blue 02 Auto Trans AM Sold June 2015
1998 Cobra Black Sold summer 2016

Current
2009 Ford F350 FX4 March 2017 (work truck)
2003 OW 5.0 Mach 1 Aug 2020

ASh
Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 AM   #82
Mach! Schnell!
Rice Hunter

I see the subject of tranny fluids has been beat to death and I don't expect fluids to be miracle cures, but I figure it's worth posting Tremec's latest recommendations for the newcomers (like me).

1. Tremec does not recommend GM sychromesh in the 3650.
2. Tremec says they have evaluated RP and quote "do not use RP Synchromax in the 3650" . "It has more additives than ATF and those additives will eat the blocker rings". It may shift better for awhile, but it will hurt in the long run.
3. What do they recommend? Mobil 1 synth ATF.

I'm draining the Synchromax that I just paid $60 for and putting in Mobil 1 + Lucas this weekend.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #83
toad
the Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach! Schnell! View Post
I see the subject of tranny fluids has been beat to death and I don't expect fluids to be miracle cures, but I figure it's worth posting Tremec's latest recommendations for the newcomers (like me).

1. Tremec does not recommend GM sychromesh in the 3650.
2. Tremec says they have evaluated RP and quote "do not use RP Synchromax in the 3650" . "It has more additives than ATF and those additives will eat the blocker rings". It may shift better for awhile, but it will hurt in the long run.
3. What do they recommend? Mobil 1 synth ATF.

I'm draining the Synchromax that I just paid $60 for and putting in Mobil 1 + Lucas this weekend.

I have had RP synchromesh in for about 70,000 miles. I guess my tranny is crap now. Still works good though.

Maybe it is time to change it.
SY Mach1|FRPP 4:10 gears|Kenny Brown welded subframe connectors|BMR upper/lower Control Arms|PHP intake spacer|MAFIA MAF extender|Procharger P1SC-2|KOOKs Longtubes|KOOKs catted X|Borla STINGER cat-back|Pro 5.0 shifter/MGW handle/MRT Yellow ball|26 spl PMP/T3650|Performance Cobra clutch|Fidanza/Anderson aluminum flywheel|MM quadrant/adjuster
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #84
FastHorse

It's been 3 weeks that I got my Mach 1 and since then, I think the tranny is about to die because of missed shifts when high revving and no synch at all in reverse. Then I found that thread and decided to order those Fiore parts. I can't wait to receive them. I hope the tranny is not so damaged...
FastHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #85
FastHorse

I installed the kit and WOW! What a difference! It now shifts nearly as well as any other car I owned before. It definitely worth the 100 $.

Thanks for the info.
FastHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #86
USACUBS

I hadn't seen this thread, but called Scott Hoag at MRT and explained to him the problems that I was having, which were EXACTLY the same as the ones described in the first post! Scotts answer: I ordered a clutch cable and billet quadrant from him, had it installed and AMAZING difference! I had it done about 2 months ago and have only been to the track once since, but it really seems to make a difference for me. Now, I DO have to get used to a whole new pedal feel, but things were MUCH more consistant and I'm sure with a little more seat time ET's will improve even more. My AVERAGE et did go down about .1 and I have done NO OTHER MODS except this one.
USACUBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #87
Tric306

Ok were can I get this fiore kit I'n Toronto Canada?
Tric306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #88
TheWaterSkier

For those who have installed the fiore adjuster...

I scoped out the job today after recieving the kit from LethalPerformance (Fiore adjuster and Steeda Quadrant). The Steeda piece comes with a sleeve for one side and a nylon washer for the other to position the quadrant correcty which is great. Looking under the dash, the two clips that need to be removed have been inserted from above (I'm sure the whole set of pedals was pre-assembled and then installed in the car). Getting them out looks to be a job for angled needle nose?

Inside the engine bay, I can't see how you could get a drill lined up to make the larger holes. I didn't remove the PCV as I was just scoping out the job, but visually, I can't see getting a drill in there straight. I did remove the driver's seat which was pretty easy. As for the comment about the studs and covering them, you can just thread another nut on the stud along with the one that came off and tighten them together and then remove the whole stud. No more back gouging.

Can someone explain the procedure (and tools) they used before I commit to the job please? I don't want to get half way through and realize I don't have the correct tool(s) to complete the job.

Traded on another vehicle. The Mach was a great car with very few issues in the 93,000 miles I put on it. I'll miss it...

'04 DSG 5 Spd. IUP
Tri-Ax purchased day before Mach, installed day of purchase. MGW Adjustable Shifter Arm.
Borla Stainless Steel "Stinger" Cat-back. Fiore firewall adjuster/Steeda clutch quadrant.
TheWaterSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #89
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWaterSkier View Post
For those who have installed the fiore adjuster...

I scoped out the job today after recieving the kit from LethalPerformance (Fiore adjuster and Steeda Quadrant). The Steeda piece comes with a sleeve for one side and a nylon washer for the other to position the quadrant correcty which is great. Looking under the dash, the two clips that need to be removed have been inserted from above (I'm sure the whole set of pedals was pre-assembled and then installed in the car). Getting them out looks to be a job for angled needle nose?

Inside the engine bay, I can't see how you could get a drill lined up to make the larger holes. I didn't remove the PCV as I was just scoping out the job, but visually, I can't see getting a drill in there straight. I did remove the driver's seat which was pretty easy. As for the comment about the studs and covering them, you can just thread another nut on the stud along with the one that came off and tighten them together and then remove the whole stud. No more back gouging.

Can someone explain the procedure (and tools) they used before I commit to the job please? I don't want to get half way through and realize I don't have the correct tool(s) to complete the job.

90° Pneumatic drill worked for me.
18 Ford Explorer XLT
17 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
16 Fusion SE AWD Ecoboost
10 Fusion SE V6
66 289 Mustang Hardtop Restomod
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #90
TheWaterSkier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDraper View Post
90° Pneumatic drill worked for me.
Thanks. I don't have air tools, so I ordered a 90 degree attachment for my drill and some long reach angled needle nose (still cheaper than having someone do the job for me). Handy tools I can use elsewhere anyway

BTW, did you use the two factory holes only, or did you drill and use all 4?

Traded on another vehicle. The Mach was a great car with very few issues in the 93,000 miles I put on it. I'll miss it...

'04 DSG 5 Spd. IUP
Tri-Ax purchased day before Mach, installed day of purchase. MGW Adjustable Shifter Arm.
Borla Stainless Steel "Stinger" Cat-back. Fiore firewall adjuster/Steeda clutch quadrant.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #91
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWaterSkier View Post
Thanks. I don't have air tools, so I ordered a 90 degree attachment for my drill and some long reach angled needle nose (still cheaper than having someone do the job for me). Handy tools I can use elsewhere anyway

BTW, did you use the two factory holes only, or did you drill and use all 4?
I used all four.
18 Ford Explorer XLT
10 Fusion SE V6
Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #92
TheWaterSkier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDraper View Post
I used all four.
Ok, armed with two 11" angle needle nose and a right angle drill attachment I got from Harbor Freight, I installed my Fiore firewall adjuster and Steeda quadrant (kit from LeathalPerformance.com).

Removed the seat first and backed the studs out so I had a smooth surface to lay on.

After trying to release the cable from the existing quadrant for a few minutes and realizing you need two hands in there to do it, I jacked the car up on jack stands and released the cable from the transmission end. I was then able to just pull the cable off the stock quadrant with one hand.

I think your right angle air drill has a smaller profile as I was only able to get to three holes, but I'm happy with that. After removing the PVC connection and zip tying the throttle cable out of the way, I drilled the three holes with the supplied drill and since I have a tap set, I tapped the three holes instead of using the screws to make the threads. This made things easier. I then started the firewall piece with the three screws but left them halfway out so I could screw the adjuster into it without hitting the valve cover. Once clear of the cover, I used a flexible screw driver shaft to tighten the three screws.

I broke the large plastic piece off the end of the clutch cable and then used side cutters to cut the remaining piece off so I could install the sleeve that came with the new adjuster. I then just let this assembly hang while I went after the quadrant replacement.

Quadrant removal. Remove the trim panel under the steering column, it gives you a bit more working room. There is not much room to work in there, so I was glad I ordered two 11" needle nose, one with a slight angle, one with about a 15 degree angle. I was able to pull the clips off with these (both clips were installed at the factory from the top down, so you have to grasp the clip and push it up away from you to get it out. The quadrant and spring came right off, but the pawl was a bit more problematic. I managed to get the spring off the clutch pedal and then finally off the end of the shaft (opposite end that the pawl finally slips off of).

Installing the Steeda piece was pretty easy. A thick bushing is supplied which positions the quadrant in line with the incoming cable, so you put the bushing on, then the quadrant, then a large nylon washer, then the clip. Getting the clips on from the bottom was easier then removing them though it still took some patience and effort to get it done.

I then put the cable back through the firewall and screwed the adjuster all the way in. Under the dash again, I easily hooked the cable on the new quadrant. Back under the car, I hooked the cable back up and re-installed the dust cover. In the engine compartment, I screwed the adjuster out a couple of turns pulling on the cable until I had just a small bit of play.

Cleaned up and took a drive. WOW! Before, I never seemed to be able to shift into third above about 6000 rpm, now it goes in every time. I'm VERY satisfied.

Thanks for all the tips in this thread and especially to JDraper for the links to MMs stuff as those directions and photos helped a lot.

'04 DSG 5 Spd. IUP

Last edited by TheWaterSkier; 03-21-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #93
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

Glad you like it. I'm quite happy with how my setup works.

As for the drill, I used a 90° Campbell Hausfield air drill, which has a much lower profile than most 90° adapters.
18 Ford Explorer XLT
10 Fusion SE V6
Old 09-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #94
BokBok78

Whats a better quadrant Fiore or Steeda?
Nevermind just ordered the Steeda and Fiore setup from Lethal Performance.
Great people, they have a discount code for forum's.
Use code svtperf

Last edited by BokBok78; 09-23-2011 at 05:23 PM.
BokBok78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #95
zinc yellow

Guys Help!!!!!! My Mach 1 started to shift crazy yesterday and today. i have a firewall adjuster and im not sure what kind also cable is a mystery it does look like the fiore though. anyway here goes when its cold it shifts fine but then as it warms up it wont go into gear easy. Sometimes it will and but then im going to every gear trying to get it to go in somewhere. Reverse was almost impossible today i do have the freeplay mod also how much tranny fluid should i be running when i pulled it the manual said until it runs out of the trans but that took 4 qts and im running mobil 1 atf. Please gents help im moving this week and I'm needing some guidance Thank you

JLT RAI
Steeda pulleys
SSS catback
Custom Tune
MSD 2 Step
Line Lock
bbk TB
Welded tubes, 31 spline moser axles and diff
Ram xd clutch,aluminum flywheel and driveshaft
Tri ax with Mach 1 Ball
Rippoff fr500 wheels
zinc yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #96
WNTAMACH1
WNTAMACH1

3.2 qts, I'm about to use Mobil 1 ATF as well.

2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Auto- 421/406 SOLD

2013 Ford Taurus SHO PP - Daily Driver
WNTAMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #97
Mustang 04

Hello everyone, i'm new to this site so i don't really know what to do. I have a 04 mach1 black with red stripes. Everytime i race or get on it i have a grind going into 2nd, twice it wouldn't go in 2nd at all. Any info will help. Thanks
Mustang 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #98
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang 04 View Post
Hello everyone, i'm new to this site so i don't really know what to do. I have a 04 mach1 black with red stripes. Everytime i race or get on it i have a grind going into 2nd, twice it wouldn't go in 2nd at all. Any info will help. Thanks
Welcome. Ditching the stock shifter is what you should do first. That and change the transmission oil.

If your grinding into second at mid to higher rpms, even when you shift it slow, your synchro is going out.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #99
Mustang 04

Thanks Mach828, yeah it has a steeda tri ax short throw shifter and i have changed the trans fluid. But if i'm going slow and change into 2nd it will grind like the clutch isn't pushed all the way in sometimes, but if i'm racing or getting on it it grinds 2nd bad everytime. If the rpms is high and i pause for a few seconds going from 1 to 2nd gear it doesn't do it at all. And 2nd gear is the only one i'm having problems with.
Mustang 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #100
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang 04 View Post
Thanks Mach828, yeah it has a steeda tri ax short throw shifter and i have changed the trans fluid. But if i'm going slow and change into 2nd it will grind like the clutch isn't pushed all the way in sometimes, but if i'm racing or getting on it it grinds 2nd bad everytime. If the rpms is high and i pause for a few seconds going from 1 to 2nd gear it doesn't do it at all. And 2nd gear is the only one i'm having problems with.
do you have a adj clutch cable kit?

ASh
2013 RED Dodge Charger R/T Sold Nov 2014
2002 custom Blue 02 Auto Trans AM Sold June 2015
1998 Cobra Black Sold summer 2016

Current
2009 Ford F350 FX4 March 2017 (work truck)
2003 OW 5.0 Mach 1 Aug 2020

ASh