2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

View Poll Results: Ask a Police Officer Htread - Good Idea?
Yes, good idea 54 60.67%
No way...scrap it 2 2.25%
let's try it and see how it goes 24 26.97%
What do I care. Where is the Procharger thread? 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #651
ftctoolftc
SCS Bay Area Super Hero

Re: Ask A Police Officer

I wasn't asking how to get out of one. I was merely asking if radar going the opposite direction was actually valid. The one other time I've actually been pulled over through radar, I was shown the gun. It's not like my dad was a cop 30 years ago, it was only about 4-5 years ago that he decided to leave and even he couldn't recall such a device, but said he wouldn't be surprised if there was.

And me not being able to get another point is a more about me being on a good driver insurance plan etc etc.. where you can't have more than 1 point at any given time (not to mention, I'm 22 and drive a mustang.. not cheap). I've honestly just had a lot of bad luck the past year and this only validated it more. Again, was just asking for education purposes since it's near impossible to get real answers with all the add clutter that has invaded search engines.

- 2004 Oxford White Mach 1
- Mach 1 Fantasy Football Champ - 2005
ftctoolftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #652
IMachU
Super Moderator

Sorry ftc....I was kind of aiming the comment at most others who have been asking how to beat a ticket, and I was working OT last night when I responded to your post. Kinda cranky.

Yes, radar works both ways, coming and going. Sounds like he gave you a break. But, like I said you still have the right to contest the cite in court. The officer may or may not show. But since it's CHP, they most ALWAYS show. Good luck!

2003 DSG 5 speed IUP Born June 25, 2003
K&N Drop-in Filter, Magnapack Catback, MRT black chrome tips, MRT shifter
277.1 HP (321.4) 296.4 (343.8) TQ SAE (with 16% powertrain loss calculated, before mods), Sirius satellite radio, MGW black on black locking Bullitt fuel door, MGW goodies - sold on 7-19-07
IMachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #653
ftctoolftc
SCS Bay Area Super Hero

Yeah I knew what had to be done in order to get a reading like that (two beams)... which I'm not surprised the CHP surely has now. No biggie, I guess I'll have to pray and hope the judge gives me the opportunity to go to traffic school.

- 2004 Oxford White Mach 1
- Mach 1 Fantasy Football Champ - 2005
ftctoolftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #654
Ian0341
Black Mach

Ok, so just I before I went to Iraq, I got a speeding ticket, and didn't have time to take care of it before I left. I asked my sister to, since she had power of attorney. Well, lo and behold, she got into an accident and it pretty much fell to the wayside. She told me that she HAD taken care of it. Now I'm worried that if I get pulled over I'm going to get arrested or something. How can I take care of this??
Ian0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:49 PM   #655
IMachU
Super Moderator

Go to the court where you were supposed to go (should be written on the citation). Explain the situation to the court clerk, and they should re-schedule things. Just remember to bring proof of deployment with ya. Also bring a checkbook....they may have you post bail before rescheduling it (count on that part!).

Thanks for serving, and welcome back, soldier!

277.1 HP (321.4) 296.4 (343.8) TQ SAE (with 16% powertrain loss calculated, before mods), Sirius satellite radio, MGW black on black locking Bullitt fuel door, MGW goodies - sold on 7-19-07
Old 05-06-2007, 02:51 AM   #656
Ian0341
Black Mach

Ok... got it... the only problem with that is it happened when I was in CA, and I'm now stationed in VA. Should I just call them and ask?
Ian0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:01 AM   #657
IMachU
Super Moderator

Well, that would be a good idea. Go to http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/ and get the info for the court you need (if it was in LA County). Maybe your unit has a law enforcement liaison you can work with.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #658
acreature
You are freaking out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMachU View Post
Yes, radar works both ways, coming and going.
Hehehe, we have Same Lane/Same Direction on the approved list here in NC.

2003 Azure A/T - JLT RAI - 90mm Pro-M MAF - Bassani mid-length headers - Bassani SS O/R-X - Magnaflow SS C/B - FRPP 4.10s - Ported Lower Intake
PHP 3/8" Intake Spacer - PI Stallion 3000 stall - Meziere EWP - SCT Xcal2 - Eibach Pro-Kit - MM CC Plates - 314/324 rwhp/tq - Meter4it Chase Sequentials - MRT Hood Strut Kit
acreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #659
PrISM
Skinjob Fever

So why do cops drive so much faster than the rest of us?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #660
acreature
You are freaking out....

Law Enforcement Officers are exempt from traffic laws when in the performance of their duty.

2003 Azure A/T - JLT RAI - 90mm Pro-M MAF - Bassani mid-length headers - Bassani SS O/R-X - Magnaflow SS C/B - FRPP 4.10s - Ported Lower Intake
PHP 3/8" Intake Spacer - PI Stallion 3000 stall - Meziere EWP - SCT Xcal2 - Eibach Pro-Kit - MM CC Plates - 314/324 rwhp/tq - Meter4it Chase Sequentials - MRT Hood Strut Kit
Old 06-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #661
swoop1156
Parked again...

I was driving yesterday and this car was maybe going 5mph faster than I and there was a police officer coming toward us in the next lane. The car hit the brakes, slowed and then passed me again.

I thought in my head: "By the time you slow down, it's too late" as he/she would have seen and run your speed by then.

Is that correct? I usually say if I can see them, they've already seen me on radar.

I was going 5 over already to avoid being run over and the local law around here on that given road usually don't bother anyone within 15 of the limit... But is it any big deal by slowing a few mph until they go by?

I don't think so.

Mach #238576
Modifications | Borla Stinger's | Painted C&L Intake | 15% Tint | Powdercoated Valve Covers | '01 Cobra Tails | '04 Cobra Mirrors | '01 Cobra Bumper | '01 Bullitt Skirts | FR500 Steering Wheel | MGW Shifter | 3/8" Spacer | IAC Restrictor | 17x9/10.5 Mach's | 275/315 Vredestein's | MM Subframe Connectors | Tokico D-Spec's | MM 4-Bolt C/C Plates | H&R Super Sport's |
Build Number | #6935 of 7182
swoop1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #662
PrISM
Skinjob Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreature View Post
Law Enforcement Officers are exempt from traffic laws when in the performance of their duty.
I don't mean when they've got their lights on. Everyday I see cops on the freeway in the left lanes going much faster than everyone else. They'll even tailgate other drivers.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #663
IMachU
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrISM View Post
I don't mean when they've got their lights on. Everyday I see cops on the freeway in the left lanes going much faster than everyone else. They'll even tailgate other drivers.
Do you listen to their radio frequency? How do you know they are not on their way to a call? How do you know they are not trying to catch up to a speeder? Ya know, the best way to catch up to a speeder is to go faster than the speeder. Physics at it's best.

Also, in urban environments, if a police car is on the freeway going the speed limit, do you pass it? No, you will usually sit in his/her blind spot, afraid to pass. So, this creates a bottleneck on the freeway, which causes another problem....crash concerns. So, if we go a bit faster than the flow of traffic, traffic flows better and no one gets in my blind spot and just sits there.

Sorry if this sounded sarcastic....it was not intended.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #664
IMachU
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop1156 View Post
I was driving yesterday and this car was maybe going 5mph faster than I and there was a police officer coming toward us in the next lane. The car hit the brakes, slowed and then passed me again.

I thought in my head: "By the time you slow down, it's too late" as he/she would have seen and run your speed by then.

Is that correct? I usually say if I can see them, they've already seen me on radar.

I was going 5 over already to avoid being run over and the local law around here on that given road usually don't bother anyone within 15 of the limit... But is it any big deal by slowing a few mph until they go by?

I don't think so.
You answered your own question! Good job!!

Old 06-10-2007, 02:14 PM   #665
tsbpenguin

Ok so every friday night we have a meet at our local sonic. I'd say a good 500 people are around at one time. Probably more. Anyway naturally the place is swarming with LEOs. If you play your music too loud, speed by, anything like that they get you. They keep a tow truck there for easy impounding. Ok so here's my setup
I've got a V6 and am currently working on turboing it. So at this point the exhaust dumps after the first set of cats. Its loud but its not ear shattering like open headers would be. I was leaving the meet last night, driving down the road, shifting at about 3k. Just my luck an unmarked car patrolling the road is RIGHT behind me.
So he pulls me over and asks for my license, registration, and proof of insurance. Then he says "so whats the deal with your car, why is it so loud?" i tell him and then he goes into a tirade of he could give me a 12pt exhibition of speed ticket and tow my car. He starts talking about how my car isnt safe for myself or anyone else. He then proceeds to say that if i come back next week and the car is in the same condition he will tow it.
Whats the deal? Can it actually hold up? What was his basis for pulling me over? I didnt think they could prove defective vehicle unless i failed an emissions? I guess im just a little confused as to how he could impound my car over something like that.
tsbpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #666
acreature
You are freaking out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrISM View Post
I didn't say anything about their lights. They do not need to run lights nor siren if while in the performance of their duty. Sometimes you get to the job faster without them because some people freak the hell out and stop in the middle of the road when they see lights or hear sirens, rather than move to the right as they are supposed to do.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #667
acreature
You are freaking out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbpenguin View Post
Whats the deal? Can it actually hold up? What was his basis for pulling me over? I didnt think they could prove defective vehicle unless i failed an emissions? I guess im just a little confused as to how he could impound my car over something like that.
Don't know where you are, so can't answer based on what your local laws are. Don't know what he heard or saw, so still can't answer.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #668
wigsite

Traffic laws on private property

So my friend, his brother and I left BW3(wing place and bar) Saturday night. The only direct exit has a right turn arrow painted on the ground. There is no sign prohibiting left turn. I live to the left about 50 yards down the road. EVERY time I go there, I make a left turn out of there. Well, there was an officer hiding in the parking lot somewhere. As soon as my bud pulls out to the left, he follows us and lights us up. Within that 15 seconds, we are already at my house so we are sitting in my driveway with the lights blazing, Neighbors gotta love that, right. The officer obviously pulled us over to see if the driver was drunk, he wasn't. No tickets issued. My question is, to what extent do traffic laws apply to private property? As I said, there were no signs prohibiting left turn. This a small neighborhood road, not some major intersection. I won't even get into the police waiting in a bar parking lot.
Dyno tuned by CRT Performance
Pro 5.0 Power Tower shifter
best 1/4 12.62 @ 108.05 mph
313 RWHP..330 TQ
wigsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #669
IMachU
Super Moderator

Re: Traffic laws on private property

Sounds to me like the officer was being proactive, keeping your neighborhood safe from impaired drivers. I am not familiar with your traffic laws as I'm in So Cal, but it sounds like the officer did his job well.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #670
acreature
You are freaking out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMachU View Post
Sounds to me like the officer was being proactive, keeping your neighborhood safe from impaired drivers. I am not familiar with your traffic laws as I'm in So Cal, but it sounds like the officer did his job well.
+1

Also, a parking lot is a Public Vehicular Area where cars are free to exit and enter without guards or gates - so some traffic laws can be enforced in them; especially traffic control signs/devices that lead onto Public/State maintained roadways.

Also, common sense dictates that if an arrow points in a certain direction, that would be the direction the poster of the sign wants you to go.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #671
acreature
You are freaking out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigsite View Post
I won't even get into the police waiting in a bar parking lot.
God forbid one attempt to catch a Drunk Driver.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #672
wigsite

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreature View Post
God forbid one attempt to catch a Drunk Driver.
I think the thread is titled "Ask a Police Officer" , not "give unsolicited opinions" There were NO drunk drivers involved in my question. I see a hundred cars a day do the same thing my friend did. The officer was performing what is called a Pre-emptive stop. That would be stopping a car for a minor infraction because he thinks every driver that pulls out of there is drunk. They are not. I was asking about the enforcement of traffic laws on private property. Thanks for your post.
Dyno tuned by CRT Performance
Pro 5.0 Power Tower shifter
best 1/4 12.62 @ 108.05 mph
313 RWHP..330 TQ
wigsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #673
acreature
You are freaking out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigsite View Post
I think the thread is titled "Ask a Police Officer" , not "give unsolicited opinions" There were NO drunk drivers involved in my question. I see a hundred cars a day do the same thing my friend did. The officer was performing what is called a Pre-emptive stop. That would be stopping a car for a minor infraction because he thinks every driver that pulls out of there is drunk. They are not. I was asking about the enforcement of traffic laws on private property. Thanks for your post.
It's actually a Pretextual vehicle stop

Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #674
IMachU
Super Moderator

Wiggy, the thread IS called "Ask APolice Officer." Any police officer can answer, especially if the question is in their field of expertise. I agree with acreature.

Police do not think every car leaving a bar is driven by an intoxicated person. That's why we make the stop - so we can find out if they ARE DUI. I applaud proactive police work like this, and encourage it as a supervisor. It keeps innocent people alive and safe, and drunk drivers where they belong....off the road. Since you live in the same neighborhood as that bar, maybe you can appreciate the police officer doing his/her job in keeping you safe. If not, well, move.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:17 AM   #675
CompOrange
PSR Mafia

Tonight I was on the Freeway driving about five over the speed limit while I modded GT comes up along side me. He is reving his engine and what not trying to get me to go, so I slow down a second, he then guns it so I do just so he leaves me alone. I never went more than 10 above the speed limit, but I admit I shouldn't have done that at all. Needless to say, the guy then goes up next to my buddy in a GT and tries to race him. My friend not being smart gives him a go at it and they are doing in upwards of 120 (stupid, I know...he regrets it now). Anyways, I had seen someone coming up behind me fast and it turns out to be a cruiser. He drives slowly up next to me, then accelerates for the two out screwing around. He ends up pulling over the other GT while my friend gets off on an exit quickly. Basically I am wondering if it is possible for me to get a ticket despite not being pulled over. Can they send me or my friend a ticket in the mail or are they simply going after he who is most guilty, the guy trying to get us to race?

2003 Mach 1 - Azure Blue
5 speed

Mostly stock...except for a few goodies
CompOrange is offline   Reply With Quote