2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 09-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #26
hotford

Re: Operation Rescue, 2004 Mach 1

Looking good!
2011 Shelby GT 500
hotford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #27
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Okay, so life popped up there for a little bit, but I'm back to working on this. I mated the engine and transmission back together last night, and then I was able to slip the engine mounts into place... sort of. I ran out of time, but I still need to move the engine/transmission back about a half inch so that I can actually bolt the mounts to the block.

Then I'll install exhaust manifolds, A/C, P/S, and the starter, and then everything underneath should be finished.

Side note: where can I find a new dipstick? The tube is fine, but the dipstick itself has somehow been damaged.

Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
87handmedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:19 PM   #28
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Curse all of you who saw me drop that engine in without the exhaust manifolds installed and said nothing. I was worried about room and hooking something. Now I'm going to have bloody knuckles by the time they're finally on.
Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

Last edited by 87handmedown; 10-04-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #29
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87handmedown View Post
Curse all of you who saw me drop that engine in without the exhaust manifolds installed and said nothing. I was worried about room and hooking something. Now I'm going to have body knuckles by the time they're finally on.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:41 PM   #30
Nickfast

Shouldn't you have put the exhaust manifolds on before you dropped it in?
Nickfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #31
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Woof... okay, so I finally got the manifolds in (took a while because I ended up needing someone to help hold) hooked the X-pipe back up, installed the starter, A/C compressor, and P/S pump. Now, I'm to the point where I can start hooking connections back up, and hopefully get this thing started before Christmas!

I'll certainly be needing your guy's help though as I don't remember how any of the wire looms were routed, where the throttle cables were ran, or where a few of these leftover bolts go haha.

So here's where we sit as of this morning. My first question is these knock sensors. I've been told that they're different between a Mark VIII and a Mach 1. Do I need to swap sensors, or harness connectors?

Old 12-03-2019, 01:30 AM   #32
hotford

Quote:
Woof... okay, so I finally got the manifolds in (took a while because I ended up needing someone to help hold) hooked the X-pipe back up, installed the starter, A/C compressor, and P/S pump. Now, I'm to the point where I can start hooking connections back up, and hopefully get this thing started before Christmas!

I'll certainly be needing your guy's help though as I don't remember how any of the wire looms were routed, where the throttle cables were ran, or where a few of these leftover bolts go haha.

So here's where we sit as of this morning. My first question is these knock sensors. I've been told that they're different between a Mark VIII and a Mach 1. Do I need to swap sensors, or harness connectors?

This is where pics would have been your best friend...lol

Remember the one harness runs under the intake manifold for the knock sensors from back of the intake to knock sensors, to # 1 injector, and down to Crank sensor and A/C connector. as for the knock sensors, check the connectors and if they match, your good as they are more than likely the same, most guys will tune them out anyways.

If you were closer I would stop by and give ya a hand..lol
2011 Shelby GT 500

Last edited by hotford; 12-04-2019 at 12:52 AM.
hotford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #33
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

I would have taken pictures had I been able to when I first got the car, but it's actually more put together now than it was when I first hauled it home.

Your input is helpful though. I'll look for those connections and try to route how you've described.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #34
Mach1azure

very nice. Hoping to build mine soon. Love to see people putting time and money back into them.

Ps. That fender emblem is bothering my OCD, lol
Mach1azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #35
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:

On post 83 on my build page, this is how I handled my knock sensors.
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...4&postcount=83
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #36
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

TKat13, I was literally dealing with that very issue when you posted. I just hung up the phone with my local Fastenal guy and I was in luck. The store 30 miles away happens to have three metric inserts that work to correct the threads from the Teksid block to the WAP sensors.

I'm glad you posted that though, because we can't be the only ones who have run into this issue, and if they didn't have the inserts in stock, I was going to be on here asking you guys what to do anyways. So I really appreciate your post!
Old 12-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #37
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
TKat13, I was literally dealing with that very issue when you posted. I just hung up the phone with my local Fastenal guy and I was in luck. The store 30 miles away happens to have three metric inserts that work to correct the threads from the Teksid block to the WAP sensors.

I'm glad you posted that though, because we can't be the only ones who have run into this issue, and if they didn't have the inserts in stock, I was going to be on here asking you guys what to do anyways. So I really appreciate your post!
No Problem, funny thing is I don't even use them now.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 12-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #38
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

So my knock sensors are in, and I've got the bottom harness hooked up. I'll slowly keep hooking connectors up and let you guys know if I run into issues, but hopefully, I've got the intake and belt on by this time next week!

Oh, the EGR tube. I had to take it off to wrangle the exhaust manifold in there. Should I put it back on, or just delete?

Old 12-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #39
TKat13
Mach-T

I deleted my EGR system entirely... I am assuming you are going to tune this animal when done? I don't miss my EGR.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 12-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #40
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
I deleted my EGR system entirely... I am assuming you are going to tune this animal when done? I don't miss my EGR.
Honestly, it depends. I'm not really planning on keeping this car since I have too many other projects already. The goal is to fix this car properly, and then sell it, using the money made on the profit to help pay for my wedding coming up in fall 2020. I don't know if the previous owners turned off the rear 02 sensors or not. If I have a check engine light because of the lack of cats, then I'll have to take it somewhere to get it tuned. If not, then I'll just send it!
Old 12-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #41
TKat13
Mach-T

Congrats on getting Married!

TBH, if you are going to just sell it, then I would go back stock and prevent any check engine light issues. Also avoid any additional tuning costs. You may even find some take off rear cats that are cheaper than having the car tuned unless there is a chip/tuner with that car already.

After I get my Mach back on the road, the wife and I were talking about finding some that need some TLC and do the same. Interested in how all this works out for you.

Good luck with the build.
-dw
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 12-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #42
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Thanks! I'm not sure what to think about it sometimes, but I still have a few months to go haha.

Okay, that's what I was thinking as well. I was able to wrangle the EGR tube back into place yesterday, so hopefully this evening, I'm ready to drop the lower manifold into place, bolt things up, and then start hooking up electrical connections!

It's weird to think that I may only be a matter of days away from trying to start this thing. It seems like it's been a real fight just to get to this point. Of course, the almost 3 month delays I've had due to life haven't helped anything.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #43
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Woo hoo!!! It's coming together!

The belt is on!!!

So where does this negative/ground lead go? This is on the set of wires that run down in front of the engine and has the starter wire as well as the oil pressure wire.

Also, does anyone know the size of the bolts for the fuel rails on the passenger side? Do they have to have studs like the drivers side to hold the wiring harness? I didn't lose them; they were taken off by the previous owner and never reinstalled or replaced.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #44
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Also, if you guys don't have one of these air powered deals, then you need to add it to your Christmas list. It is BY FAR, the easiest way I have ever dealt with to clean gasket surfaces for aluminum or steel. It doesn't harm the metal surfaces, but it does a fantastic job cleaning the gasket surfaces up, and it does it quickly.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #45
machdude

Here’s a pic of my passenger side rail, both bolts appear to be the same as the driver side with studs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: K&N drop filter, Full Mac exhaust with Lt headers, 4:10 gears, eibach sport line springs, tubular cross member, steeda short throw
machdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #46
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Thank you! I'll have to order some new bolts along with a new dipstick and a few other things from LMR sometime. Right now I'm still fighting the EGR tube. Trying to get it to screw into the manifold is a real PITA! I had to have help getting the transmission harness reconnected to the main harness too.

Other than that, I'm ready to put the upper intake manifold on tonight, hook a few wires up, and maybe fire this beast up before I leave for Christmas!
Old 12-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #47
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1azure View Post
very nice. Hoping to build mine soon. Love to see people putting time and money back into them.

Ps. That fender emblem is bothering my OCD, lol
Not sure how I missed this the first time, but what's wrong with the fender emblem?

Also, while I'm thinking of it, does anyone know what size nuts go on the hydrobooster (three inside the car, one outside) ? Like the fuel rails, the previous owner took them off to pull the engine and didn't put them with any of the parts that came with the car. Kinda hard to pull that out and go down to the hardware store to match up nuts and washers.

Last edited by 87handmedown; 12-17-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #48
machdude

Quote:
Not sure how I missed this the first time, but what's wrong with the fender emblem?

Also, while I'm thinking of it, does anyone know what size nuts go on the hydrobooster (three inside the car, one outside) ? Like the fuel rails, the previous owner took them off to pull the engine and didn't put them with any of the parts that came with the car. Kinda hard to pull that out and go down to the hardware store to match up nuts and washers.

Driver side pony emblem appears to be a passenger side emblem. The pony should be running towards the front of the car. I didn’t notice it either till this comment

Sorry I’m no help on the hydro booster question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: K&N drop filter, Full Mac exhaust with Lt headers, 4:10 gears, eibach sport line springs, tubular cross member, steeda short throw
machdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:29 PM   #49
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

I had to go back and look...I missed the 40th emblem being on the wrong side.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #50
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Wow, I didn't catch that at all. I figured Ford just used one emblem and put it on both sides.

Ebay has the replacements easy enough. I'll just make sure that's corrected before I sell.