2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "Show" Discussions > Accessories - Non Performance type add-ons

Accessories - Non Performance type add-ons Found any cool accessories for your Mach 1? NON Performance add-ons.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

How to make your own Trunk lid mat.

I always wanted a trunk lid mat but the ones you buy online require drilling holes in your trunk lid and attaching it with push pins. I did not want to drill holes so I figured I would make one myself. People seemed to like it and I was asked to do a write up on how I made my own trunk lid mat so I figured I would give it a shot.

What is needed:
Paper or cardboard
tape
pencil
1/4" plywood
1/2" foam
felt
Spray adhesive
utility knife
jigsaw
staple gun and staples

The first thing I did was create a template by taping pieces of paper and cardboard to the bottom of the trunk to get the desired shape and size I wanted. After you get the template made, leave it attached to the trunk and close the trunk. Then climb in through the backseat into your trunk to make sure it is not going to interfere with the weather stripping.

After you have your template exactly how you want it, transfer that shape onto a piece of 1/4" plywood. I bought a 2'X4' piece for around $10. Carefully cut it out with a jigsaw. Note the notch in the bottom left corner. This is where your wire harness runs and it will be covered later on.

This is the 1/2' foam I used for the padding. I think it cost me around $15

I then glued the foam to the wood using a spray adhesive. Make sure that you glue it on the correct side of the wood. I almost made that mistake but caught myself in time. The bare wood side is the side that gets attached to the trunk.

Let the adhesive dry for awhile. I waited about an hour. Then using a utility knife, cut off all the excess foam around the wood. DO NOT CUT OFF THE FOAM IN THE NOTCH IN THE LOWER RIGHT CORNER I WAS TALKING ABOUT ON THE SECOND PIC. You will see that in the pictures coming up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5078small.JPG (215.6 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5079 - small.JPG (133.8 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5080 - Small.JPG (174.4 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5082 - small.JPG (144.1 KB, 253 views)

2004 Dark Shadow Grey ORIGINAL OWNER!!!!

I USED TO THINK BEING LAZY WAS BAD FOR ME SO I GAVE UP THINKING.

HOOFBEATS ARE LOUDER THAN HEARTBEATS

5 Speed, IUP, Tinted windows, 3rd brake light decal, Sequential Tail Lights, Smoked Tail Lights, Black Stainless Steel Bumper Inserts, Anthracite 18" staggard FR500
Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182

Last edited by gvervoren; 05-10-2014 at 10:58 PM.
gvervoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

Re: How to make your own Trunk lid mat.

This the spray adhesive I used. I got it from The Home Depot for around $8.

I then sprayed down the foam and felt with the spray adhesive and glued the felt to the foam. Trim the felt around the edge but make sure you leave enough material so you can wrap it around to the back. Here is what it looks like from the front. I found the felt at a fabric store and it cost me just under $5.

Here is what it looks like from the back. Here you can see the foam is covering that notch in the corner.

This is where it gets tricky. Carefully wrap the felt around to the back around all the corners and notches (except for that one in the corner). This takes a little time and patience. Here is what it looks like from the front.

Here is how it looks from the back. The felt is glued and stapled along the perimeter of the mat. Make sure all your staples are flush.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5077small.JPG (159.8 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5084small.JPG (197.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5085small.JPG (187.4 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5087smalll.jpg (184.1 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5088smalll.jpg (176.4 KB, 244 views)

5 Speed, IUP, Tinted windows, 3rd brake light decal, Sequential Tail Lights, Smoked Tail Lights, Black Stainless Steel Bumper Inserts, Anthracite 18" staggard FR500
Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182

Last edited by gvervoren; 05-10-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

To attach the mat to the trunk, I bought a box of Extreme Velcro for about $10 and used the entire box to attach it. I also stapled the Velcro to the back of the mat to make sure it stays on there. Make sure all the staples are flush and not sticking up. After you put the Velcro on the trunk lid, let it sit for a day so the adhesive part is at maximum strength or it may come loose and fall off. I've gone down a few bumpy roads and mine is staying on.

Here you can see where I placed all my Velcro.

Here is the Velcro I used. If you use the cheap stuff, it probably will not hold up. Plus remember to staple the Velcro to the back of the mat.

Here is a pic of my final project. My plan is to get a polished aluminum horse to attach to the middle using Velcro.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mat.jpg (134.2 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg velcro.jpg (128.3 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg velcro small.jpg (222.7 KB, 139 views)

Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182

Last edited by gvervoren; 05-24-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
M_A_C_H

Very cool, thanks for posting.
M_A_C_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
not a gt

That came out awesome!!! How much shipped to 31510??
Professional looking install, great color match on the felt.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_A_C_H View Post
Very cool, thanks for posting.
Thanks and your welcome!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
That came out awesome!!! How much shipped to 31510??
Professional looking install, great color match on the felt.
Thanks. I'm still debating if I want to make them on the side or not.

Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182
Old 05-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Big Ron
Original 03 TR Owner

Nice. Thanks for posting.

Big Ron
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Red Mach'03
mach madness

Great idea thanks
Accessories
Bassani s/s catback exhaust ceramic coated headers catted x pipe s/s Chrome peices on the engine, interior, cobra jet emblem on shaker, Chrome Bullit Wheels, Chrome valve stem caps, Blck letters to fill in Mustang,Coil Covers done by Kustom Machine, PHP Intake Sroud had it polished and removed snorkel. kick plates chrome ingraved mach 1 and Visor Louvers.
Red Mach'03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #9
j21moss
3 time Mach 1 owner

That is a great idea. One of our Club members did that has well with his 95 GT. Did great for awhile and then the velcro started to come loose in spots and then while closing the decklid it would come loose and then trying to open decklid, it would be awkward and if not paying attention, it might come down, hoping it lands inside trunk floor or it might hit the quarter troughs and tear weatherstrip. All this due to the weight of the wood.

Then he change it to some thin Plexiglass and did the same setup on materials and it is lighter and worked better and hasn't came down yet.

I agree with your concept since I did not want to drill holes in my decklid but i went with the Grand Design Mat. If I would have known he went the lightweight Plexiglass, I would have done that instead, but already too late for me.

Really hope it works out on the wood setup.
1970 Mercury Cyclone GT 351C Blue Met
1976 Mustang Mustang II V6 White
1978 Mustang Mach 1 302 Midnight Blue
1995 Mustang GT Conv. 302 Teal
1996 Mustang V6 "Timex" 330,000 miles
2003 Mustang "Hollywood" Mach 1 MRT Promo Zinc Yellow

http://www.mustangclubofindianapolis.com

"Hollywood" is in Da House!!!!
j21moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
mach18604

Great Job man! was the template part hard to do???
Old 05-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by j21moss View Post
That is a great idea. One of our Club members did that has well with his 95 GT. Did great for awhile and then the velcro started to come loose in spots and then while closing the decklid it would come loose and then trying to open decklid, it would be awkward and if not paying attention, it might come down, hoping it lands inside trunk floor or it might hit the quarter troughs and tear weatherstrip. All this due to the weight of the wood.

Then he change it to some thin Plexiglass and did the same setup on materials and it is lighter and worked better and hasn't came down yet.

I agree with your concept since I did not want to drill holes in my decklid but i went with the Grand Design Mat. If I would have known he went the lightweight Plexiglass, I would have done that instead, but already too late for me.

Really hope it works out on the wood setup.
Do you know how thick of a piece of wood he used? I only used 1/4" thick and is pretty light. It depends on what type of Velcro he used too. If you use the regular cheap velcro, it probably won't work. If you use the Extreme Velcro, it shouldn't come loose. I let the Velcro sit on my trunk for a day and tried pulling on it and it wasn't coming off. You have to staple the Velcro to the wood on the backside of the mat also. I'm just guessing here but I bet the Velcro was pulling off the back of the mat and not the trunk lid itself. I edited one of post above and showed what Velcro I used. It's been on my trunk a few weeks now and I went down some pretty bumpy roads (not fun in the mach as you probably already know. LOL) and there I no sign of it coming loose yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach18604 View Post
Great Job man! was the template part hard to do???
Thanks, it wasn't too hard to make. I just started with full pieces of paper taped to the inside of the trunk lid and then kept adding paper working my way to the outside of the trunk. Then I just used smaller piece to make the outside border. I made mine with all paper first and then added the cardboard afterward to make it more sturdy.

Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182

Last edited by gvervoren; 05-24-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
j21moss
3 time Mach 1 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvervoren View Post
Do you know how thick of a piece of wood he used? I only used 1/4" thick and is pretty light. It depends on what type of Velcro he used too. If you use the regular cheap velcro, it probably won't work. If you use the Extreme Velcro, it shouldn't come loose. I let the Velcro sit on my trunk for a day and tried pulling on it and it wasn't coming off. You have to staple the Velcro to the wood on the backside of the mat also. I'm just guessing here but I bet the Velcro was pulling off the back of the mat and not the trunk lid itself. I edited one of post above and showed what Velcro I used. It's been on my trunk a few weeks now and I went down some pretty bumpy roads (not fun in the mach as you probably already know. LOL) and there I no sign of it coming loose yet.

He did use a 1/4 inch wood but has for the Velcro, he used the 3m brand.. What I think what happen since it is his daily driver, Wood will collect moisture has time goes by and if enough moisture the wood will weigh a little heavier and that might been the issue but who knows it could have been the velcro. He stapled it has well so who knows probably the velcro.
1970 Mercury Cyclone GT 351C Blue Met
1976 Mustang Mustang II V6 White
1978 Mustang Mach 1 302 Midnight Blue
1995 Mustang GT Conv. 302 Teal
1996 Mustang V6 "Timex" 330,000 miles
2003 Mustang "Hollywood" Mach 1 MRT Promo Zinc Yellow

http://www.mustangclubofindianapolis.com

"Hollywood" is in Da House!!!!
j21moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

So far the mat I made has been on my car for a couple months now. After driving down the bumpy highway many times (road construction) and opening and closing the trunk many times, there is still no sign of it coming loose.

Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182
Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #14
musclemerc

Looking good man....Make a stencil with the Mach1 lettering and apply it with plastidip paint
musclemerc is offline   Reply With Quote