2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Questions for Raj Nair, Ford VP Product Development

Mach 1 Registry Members,

I've been presented with an opportunity to represent our group via our affiliation with the Ford Performance Group and Ford Racing. Below is the invitation that was extended to me from John Clor, who worked to establish the connection with FPG.

I will be given a chance to ask Raj Nair, the current VP of Product Development, questions that will be of interest to Mustang Mach 1 owners. I welcome any input you might have for me to take to Dearborn. Feel free to post up all the way until next Wednesday, 11:59pm, US Pacific time! Thanks for your interest.

"Dear Ford Enthusiast Club Principals:

As part of the Ford Performance Group enthusiast outreach program that I manage here at Ford Racing, our goal is to strengthen the bond between Ford Motor Company and our key Ford vehicle enthusiast clubs.

Beyond the promotional support we deliver on your behalf to the quarter-million performance fans who receive our “Fast News From Ford Racing” e-newsletter each week, we want to forge a deeper understanding of Ford’s product goals with you. We understand how Ford vehicle clubs and online communities can serve as great brand disciples for Ford, and how your fellow members can influence the car-buying decisions of their peers.

That’s why, in order to keep you better-informed, we’ve arranged an exclusive “Meet Raj Nair” program for a select few Ford enthusiast club principals to get real face time with Ford’s Group VP of Global Product Development.

We’d like you to come to Dearborn for a midday meeting at Ford’s Product Review Center to meet and talk with the top man in Ford’s product house. You’ll hear the inside story of what’s going on at Ford from Raj Nair himself, receive a Ford product briefing and even get to ask questions and make suggestions – with a few extra surprises possible as well. Sound interesting?

We’re looking at the 12-nooon to 3pm time period on Thursday, August 8th 2013. We’ll supply the executive, a key Ford location and a box lunch – you figure out how to get here for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Hope to hear from you soon – and to see you all in Dearborn on Thursday, August 8th!

Regards,
John Clor
Ford Enthusiast & Club Relations / Ford Racing
www.FordRacing.com Enthusiast Content Manager
Ford Performance Group Communications
1-800-FORD-788 / jclor@ford.com"
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Re: Questions for Raj Nair, Ford VP Product Development

Some articles on Raj Nair -

Motor Trend
Detroit Free Press
VIN 388409, Built ??/??/????
Delivered 7/12/2019 w/122,696 miles
Old 08-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Evil_Capri

Very cool, Tony! Looking forward to reading your Q/A session!
Evil_Capri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
stang8092

Too cool!
'03 AB Mach 1 (x2), '87 Saleen #223, '92 s/c Saleen clone, '80 Mustang
stang8092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Folks, feel free to post up some questions. I know I will be asking about a new Mach 1
Old 08-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
stang8092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
Folks, feel free to post up some questions. I know I will be asking about a new Mach 1
Discount for '03-04 Mach owners ? Lol
'03 AB Mach 1 (x2), '87 Saleen #223, '92 s/c Saleen clone, '80 Mustang
stang8092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
ryanscobra

Not really a question, but I would love to see videos of the car in the wind tunnel. I've looked everywhere and can't even a single video of a new edge, but obviously I want to see the Mach 1 specifically. Also, I'd like to know more about the new Mach 1 that is to come in the future, but good luck getting them to answer that lol. And also just out of curiosity, it has been 10 years later, why are they just now caring about the Mach 1 community. They are a little late to the party if you ask me.
ryanscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
ridingdragon

Can anybody else attend with you?
ridingdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
Machy uno

Everyone talks about the underated 305hp.... My thought is Ford knew it was underated and did so to not get to close to the Cobra. If so, what was the real hp number? We have dynos and all that, but I'd like to know how close it was to cobra numbers when Ford looked at it.

For suggestions. One thing that always bugged me was the Mach 1 rims. I liked the way they looked for sure, but the 8" width was horrible. They increased the hp and torque from the GT but left the pizza cutter width tires on it. They already went to the trouble of designing a new rim, they should have increased the width. It would have required a wider more expensive tire in the rear, but oh well. Cobra had it and Mach 1 could have benfited. If they do another Mach 1, don't make this mistake! To top of the width thing, put real tires on the rims. Not the horrible tires the Mach came with.

Gone but NOT FORGOTTEN
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/330262
Machy uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
TKat13
Mach-T

As the Fusion's platform is planned to be used for other models, I am just as curious if Ford plans to use the platform of the new '15 mustang for any other models including the drive train options. Such as a Luxury Sports car. Thinking out loud here..

I would love a 2 door Lincoln with true performance, not a rebranded Taurus SHO. RWD only. Maybe even a 4-door, CTS-V killer comes to mind.

I will always have a Mustang, but as my demographic changes, income and age, I would like some refined features but have never wanted to give up my driving pleasure. At the moment, the only thing I have seen that fits this bill is offerings from BMW, Audi, Merc and the CTS-V. I would prefer to stay loyal to Ford, but...
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
TKat13
Mach-T

I have been surprised over the last few years that a Mach 1 model had not been introduced, the retro lines would have made this a perfect choice as well as many previous Mach owners needed a new car around 2009. Strange why they did not tap that market.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
ShkeRttlNroll

I dont if he can answer this but how about a question about parts. Some things for example, the underhood liner are not reproduced and impossible to find so I would like to know if ford will ever make these parts again or possibly sell the rights for someone else to make them.
ShkeRttlNroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Machy uno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
As the Fusion's platform is planned to be used for other models, I am just as curious if Ford plans to use the platform of the new '15 mustang for any other models including the drive train options. Such as a Luxury Sports car. Thinking out loud here..

I would love a 2 door Lincoln with true performance, not a rebranded Taurus SHO. RWD only. Maybe even a 4-door, CTS-V killer comes to mind.

I will always have a Mustang, but as my demographic changes, income and age, I would like some refined features but have never wanted to give up my driving pleasure. At the moment, the only thing I have seen that fits this bill is offerings from BMW, Audi, Merc and the CTS-V. I would prefer to stay loyal to Ford, but...
This! I was actually having a discussion with a friend two nights ago who is debating selling his modded 2003 M3. Over the years he has modded it to get a great driving feeling, but now he's a few years older, is married, and has a kid requireing a car seat. Performance oriented, fun to drive, but a nicer option for someone with a bit of money kinds of cars were brought up. We set a price of $100K and discussed options. Not a single Ford made it to that list. Ford has the technology, but lincoln cars are very bland. The mustang V6 gets the younger crowd. Then some upgrade to Mach 1 / Cobra. The n GT500. But a luxury car these are not. Ford has a huge gap in their line up where that is concerned. Bring Lincoln back like GM did to Caddy. They should have done it years ago with the success of the Lincoln Navigator (exactly what Caddy did with the Escalade). Really bring it back, not just rebranding Ford cars. Otherwise once someone gets to the point they're looking for a car that fits this bill Ford looses them as a customer.

My wife drives a 2004 Infiniti Sport Edition. She loves it. I'm trying to get her to Ford, but she just rolls her eyes. She loves my Mach and would love to buy herself an original Mach even more. As far as daily though? If she stays with a car (rather than SUV) there's no way it'll be Ford. She's looking BMW, Infiniti, or Audi. Only reason she isn't considering the CTS-V is we have another close friend who already has one and she doesn't want the same thing a friend has. Something with great fit and finish, above par materials, and performance oriented.

Gone but NOT FORGOTTEN
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/330262

Last edited by Machy uno; 08-02-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Machy uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
b3warnick

What about a 2 door Fusion?

Ever gonna build a notchback Mustang ever again?

Not that I could ever afford one, but will there be another limited edition Ford GT type of car? A Vette/Viper killer?

Not Mach or performance related for that matter, but why did Ford drop the Crown Vic and the Econoline vans?? (Every time I turn on the news and cops are involved I see Crown Vics everywhere still - Boston Marathon bombing, etc. - that market was theirs for the taking - upgrade 'em with 5.0s, freshen the front end and tail end - good to go for another 7 or 8 years.) And everywhere I see a company van -its an Econoline - roofers, lawn care guys, pool guys, every Comcast van, another market Ford owned and is giving away. Just don't think the Transit is gonna be the hauler that the current Econoline is.

BTW - I think it's cool that haven't made a Mach 1 for a while. Makes ours just that more rare. I'd be fine if they waited another 10 years to build a Mach again. Just my $.02.
b3warnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy uno View Post
Everyone talks about the underated 305hp.... My thought is Ford knew it was underated and did so to not get to close to the Cobra. If so, what was the real hp number? We have dynos and all that, but I'd like to know how close it was to cobra numbers when Ford looked at it.

For suggestions. One thing that always bugged me was the Mach 1 rims. I liked the way they looked for sure, but the 8" width was horrible. They increased the hp and torque from the GT but left the pizza cutter width tires on it. They already went to the trouble of designing a new rim, they should have increased the width. It would have required a wider more expensive tire in the rear, but oh well. Cobra had it and Mach 1 could have benfited. If they do another Mach 1, don't make this mistake! To top of the width thing, put real tires on the rims. Not the horrible tires the Mach came with.
We've actually touched on many of those in the past. I doubt Raj has much product knowledge of the Mach 1 as it was long before his stint at Ford. In talking to Scott Hoag and others at the SVT division ( I know the Mach was not an SVT product), the figure I kept getting was 335hp on the stick cars and closer to 305 on the auto cars. The reason for under-rating was in response to the Cobra debacle from 1999, and it seems like tuning was a work in progress until the very end. As far as wheels and other Mach specific items that did not happen, Scott and his team were under the gun to keep costs down (no Cobra Jet scripts for example), while puting money where it counted (seat covers, shaker, engine).

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShkeRttlNroll View Post
I dont if he can answer this but how about a question about parts. Some things for example, the underhood liner are not reproduced and impossible to find so I would like to know if ford will ever make these parts again or possibly sell the rights for someone else to make them.
I do happen to have one available. It does look worn underneath though. Take a look here. And yes, I do intend to ask about those hard-to-find parts!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #17
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanscobra View Post
And also just out of curiosity, it has been 10 years later, why are they just now caring about the Mach 1 community. They are a little late to the party if you ask me.
Actually, the Mach 1 Registry has been affiliated with the Ford Performance Group for a number of years now, so we've had a connect with the company for awhile.

Given the recent rumors of another Mach 1, I think they probably care enough to sense what people think about a new one. The '03-'04 versions will always be awesome though!!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Thanks, everyone, for all the great inquiries. Keeping them coming!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #19
mach18604

Well the parts question we can figure a response of to expensive to produce and store...

How about will the new mach be NA?? Or a blower?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #20
muzman
Mach 1 enthusiast

Very cool Tony, congratulations I know you will do yourself and all mustang enthusiasts proud. The pictures of Raj to me shows he has aged in the year he has been in the job. No doubt a fair bit of pressure on him. I like the comment about not putting to much into the mustang renderings we have seen. Sadly FORD had announced the Falcon is finnished in Australia, perhaps you could ask him what they see the replacment vehicle for the Aussie Falcon is? Also when are we likely to see an accurate rendering of the new mustang replacement?
1969 351w 4v Mach 1, Red, 4 speed toploader
SOLD Feb 2007

2000GT Red , Auto Right Hand Drive sold 2004.
muzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
mach18604

what about the rumor of a 4 Cyl Turbo mustang in 2015?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #22
Sburns04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach18604 View Post
what about the rumor of a 4 Cyl Turbo mustang in 2015?
Please let there be an SVO!!!
Sburns04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #23
4V FURY
Lite Poster

Please please please tell him that a new LX 5.0L would be much appreciated. Let the customer pick each of the options and not have to settle for "packages" that include items some of us don't want or need. I'm not asking for manual windows or A/C delete necessarily, just a lighter weight low dollar entry level V8 Mustang like we had back in the mid eighties through 1993 and the GTS/248A 94-96's.
I'm sure that i am in the minority here but i for one am tired of every "special version" Ford having black as the only interior color. Even my new ST Focus only comes with black innards. Thanks!

Naturally Aspirdated

Boss330 heads/cams/intake + VT 324" shortblock

11.34 @ 125.62 on ET streets

CRT-PERFORMANCE tuned

Congrats to Redliner who has taken it to a best ET of 10.97 @ 124
4V FURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #24
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V FURY View Post
I'm sure that i am in the minority here, but I for one am tired of every "special version" Ford having black as the only interior color.

Bring back the Porno Red interior!

I'm livin' the Office Space dream. I'm retired, and sit on my azz and do nothing.

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
311-420
Can't be bridled

How about a respectable buy-back program for the current owners who wish to purchase a new Mach?

I was low-balled so hard when I went to trade into a new coyote that I just left. If Ford, themselves, cannot value their own specialty vehicles any higher than a base model why would anyone want to pay a premium when purchasing a new one only to know what they've got coming next time they want the next best thing Ford has to offer?

If Ford would value their product higher, so would everyone else. It's a win, win.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote