2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
311-420
Can't be bridled

Scatted on a Scatpack, then almost had a heart attack..

Cruising through Guadalajara this afternoon, I spotted a lime green Scatpack Challenger opposite of me at an intersection; his blinker signaling intentions of getting onto the highway. Perfect. I make a split second decision to switch over a lane and make my way onto the highway with high hopes..

As I'm approaching the entrance, I glance into my sideview mirror and see the Scatpack has made it through the intersection and is behind me and coming up quick. The highway has a bit of traffic as we merge, mostly volkswagen beetles (customary in Mexico), so I hold onto 4th gear and make my way around them and to the front of the herd. Glancing back again I notice the Scatpack is following suit and is clearly eager to rock n' roll with me.

I move into the right lane and await his approach. By now, the traffic in front of us has all but completely cleared up. The stage is set. I look into the sideview mirror once again and notice he's approaching with a decent head of steam, so I make a quick drop to 4th gear and then another quick drop to 3rd and goose it a bit to try and stop some of his forward momentum advantage. He now has his nose at my door and must've thought that the little tickle of my throttle was the invitation to blast off. No honks with this guy. Ok! I've got both my windows rolled down while enjoying this glorious 70* day and boy was it easy to hear his 392 scream to life! He takes the stab from me with a bit more momentum than I have, but it's do or don't and every part of me says it's time.

Stomping down on the loud pedal, I immediately stop his momentum and open up the first car length, then two, then I glance at the tach to make sure I'm not about to hit the rev limiter. All is right in the jungle and the needle is only at 6k rpm. This party's just getting started! I rev it out some more and open the gap to 3 lengths, then snatch 4th and stay in it for a couple more seconds just to put a cherry on it.

After adding a couple more lengths, the traffic that was way out in front of us has now been brought back into clear sight so I simultaneously grab ahold of 5th gear and the brakes and make my way to lesser speeds. He moves over into my lane and won't get closer than 10 lengths from my back bumper so I take the next exit and give him the peace sign. He didn't return the gesture.

Giddy with delight, I finish taking my exit and head back towards town. About 30 minutes later, I'm taking off from a red light and look in my passenger sideview mirror and see a ton of blue smoke. I begin to make a sweep with my eyes across all of the car's vitals. All the gauges look normal, car feels and sounds normal. Now I'm like, 'WTF'? I look back into the sideview mirror again and notice the smoke has come from a 1970's datsun pickup truck in the other lane. Whew! Crisis averted. The cruise continued for another satisfying hour, but no other takers emerged so the Mach and I crossed back into the states and returned home.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 10-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
03BumbleBee

Re: Scatted on a Scatpack, then almost had a heart attack..

Long, but Fun read! Love hearing about the Mach beating newer higher tech muscle cars. I know yours is far from stock, but still cool!

Welcome to the Mach 1 Cafe!
"Today's Special..Smoked Honda"
Finally a member of 10,000 mile club!
Old 10-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

From the Rules section:

10. Discussions concerning "street racing" or other driving activities that could endanger members of the public are not authorized or encouraged on the forums, and will, when discovered, be edited or removed at the moderator’s discretion.

NOTE: We have the right to move, merge or delete your posts into appropriate other threads or similar threads. So, don't be alarmed if you message is NOT where you put it originally. We also have the right to ban your account for improper behavior without notice.

LEGAL STUFF:
The ownership and management of Mach1Registry.com do not condone, endorse, approve of, or encourage speed contests on public roads, and messages posted on these forums by the membership reflect the views of the authors of said messages and do not reflect the views or opinions of the ownership of Mach1Registry.com/Mach1Performance.org.

Y'all know the rules, you've been here long enough. Regardless of country of origin.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
Old 10-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
HAEG
Heppasketties

When I read it I was imagining this was all within the legal speed limit of course..
M1R Member #1829
2011 Shelby GT-500 Grabber Blue
W/SVT Performance Package
Born on Friday, 6-25-2010
Purchased 8-19-2010

2003 Zinc Yellow Auto I/UP (Build #8280 of 9652)
Born on Thursday, 7/17/03
Purchased 8-18-2003 first owner
Sold 8-19-2010 bought GT500
Purchased again 3-3-2017 fifth owner
Purchased for my wife to drive (but she knows I love the car)
Closed Thread