2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 08-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #76
SBT STANG

Re: Removing Valve Covers and Installing Cobra Cams - A Complete How To With Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
Did you do these?
Take the motor mount nut off on the drivers side
Back off the passenger side nut
Tilt the motor quite a bit
Disconnect the sensor on the brake reservoir
Bend the oil dipstick towards the drivers side fender
Take off all the bolts holding the covers on
Take off the firewall clutch adjuster (either factory or OEM)
Take off the bracket that holds the power steering reservoir in front of the drivers side cover

Once you get the cover to clear the brake booster, its still won't come off all the way. Once it clears the brake booster, lower the motor a bit, and then you have to wiggle it on out.
This is the way i just did mine and wow it was intimidating at first but with a little wiggling and some patience it came right out and went back in the same.Deff. and awesome write up!!!
Thank you.

Last edited by SBT STANG; 08-19-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling error
SBT STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #77
Mach828
Dark Knight

Re: Removing Valve Covers and Installing Cobra Cams - A Complete How To With Pics

Updated the first post. And I just wanted to post up a graph from when I added long tubes.

Green line is with 4.10 gears, stock manifolds, off road prochamber
Red line is 4.56 gears plus I added long tube headers and an off road x

Both runs were dyno'd on the same dyno, both SAE corrected, and both received dyno tunes by the same tuner (air fuel and timing were nearly identical).

Assuming the long tube headers gained me 12hp (which is common), I lost 3.8% due to the gear change.

So my numbers with should be closer to 326hp/322tq.

Other mods at time of this dyno:
E70 Tuned, Borla CB, 3" RAI, 90mm LMAF, XCAL3, 96 Cobra Intake Cams, NGK TR55s, various suspension and non performance related mods

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #78
03Shakered
shake N bake

I just did the 98 cam swap my self over the weekend. Very straight forward job. Hardest part was removing the driver side valve cover. I just removed the 4 bolts holding the whole brake booster to the firewall and removed the valve cover.
Note. Remove the front bracket in the front of the engine under the shaker. Gray in color 2 bolts and a nut holding it on.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #79
03Shakered
shake N bake

Also I didn't lower the engine at all.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #80
CO Mack

Good intel, 03Shakered. Have you dyno'd since the change?
CO Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #81
Mach828
Dark Knight

Good work! Thanks for posting pics. How does it feel driving?

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #82
03Shakered
shake N bake

No haven't dynoed yet. I'm saving up for a dyno tune since they do a base line then.
Feels great way more responsive and the top end is awesome. I had a hard time keeping traction before but now it's crazy.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #83
04TorchRedMach1

Do you happen to have the ford part number for 96-98 cobra intake cam bolts? Ive called 2 different dealers around my area and they both have given me different part number and prices. Just curious if anybody had the part number available?

Thanks,
04TorchRedMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #84
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TorchRedMach1 View Post
Do you happen to have the ford part number for 96-98 cobra intake cam bolts? Ive called 2 different dealers around my area and they both have given me different part number and prices. Just curious if anybody had the part number available?

Thanks,
Part numbers are in the first post. They are as follows:

Passenger Intake Cam F6ZE-6A270-AA (or AB)
Driver Intake Cam F6ZE-6A271-AA (or AB)

If they have any other number, they aren't sn95 cobra cams.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #85
04TorchRedMach1

I was looking for the ford cam bolt part numbers (M12 x 1.5), i just called a third dealer and they had no clue. I might just end up getting the ARP bolts if i cant find any at the dealer.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #86
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TorchRedMach1 View Post
I was looking for the ford cam bolt part numbers (M12 x 1.5), i just called a third dealer and they had no clue. I might just end up getting the ARP bolts if i cant find any at the dealer.
96-97 Cobra cams
(M12 x 1.5, 1.6in)

98-01 Cobras share the same cam bolt as the Mach 1.

I can't find the part number either. It used to be on the Ford part lookup because I got it from there and told my dealer the part number. I can't find it

Last edited by Mach828; 07-10-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #87
04TorchRedMach1

Quote:
96-97 Cobra cams
(M12 x 1.5, 1.6in)

98-01 Cobras share the same cam bolt as the Mach 1.

I can't find the part number either. It used to be on the Ford part lookup because I got it from there and told my dealer the part number. I can't find it
Yea i looked also and found nothing, two dealers gave me different part number i might just stop by and measure the bolts they have or ill just order the ARP ones.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #88
Mach828
Dark Knight

The ARP ones are 1.7" long. But they work, it was brought up in another thread.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #89
mstangtony

Quick question. So with the cobra cams, does it sound better as well as more power? id like to hear how it sounds.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #90
Nate's Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstangtony View Post
Quick question. So with the cobra cams, does it sound better as well as more power? id like to hear how it sounds.
From what I've heard, some say it's impossible to get a lope sound out of the 4 valves, but some videos of comp cams sound ridiculously loud. If you had headers and no cats, I'm sure you'd hear the difference.

I'm also looking for some input with these cobra cams. What should I be looking for when buying cobra cams. I found a pair that could work but it's online and I can't really depict how worn the cams are.
Nate's Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #91
Mach828
Dark Knight

They sound slightly different than the Mach 1 cams. So slight it may just have been my imagination. There is no hot rod cam sound if thats what you mean. The heavy cam sound comes from a lot of overlap, which can be adjusted depending on how the cams are degreed. You can have the same set of comp cams sound much different depending on how they are degreed.

Get close up photos to ensure there is no heavy pitting or chips on the cams. Check the part numbers. And you should be good. It is okay if the non-contact areas have some discoloration from carbon build up and rust. But if the contact area is rusted I wouldn't buy them.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #92
TuFFstang

Has anyone every tried removing the entire intake (everything) when attempting the Cam cover install or Cam swap? It would give a lot more access room for the job.

I remember when install installing my ported intake I pretty much took all of it apart. Looked like I could simply lift slightly and then slide the covers into the valley.

I have everything needed to do a 99 Cobra Cam swap, Ford GT covers. Also lowering parts on the shelf. Just looking for help (solo mechanic makes it hard) for the job. If I do attempt it my Mach1 is no longer a daily driver so down time is no issue. I've found the leaving the car on Jack stands and taking my time over a couple days helps me think through the project.

Of course degree the Cams would be the best, but for the best bang for the buck Dot to Dot seems to be cost and peace of mind worth it. It's tough finding/trusting a speed shop that will take care of the Mach1 and not miss or mess up anything.

This vehicle is serial #5929 of build of 7182 and is one of 1039 manufactured in Dark Shadow Grey

Last edited by TuFFstang; 08-11-2014 at 01:19 AM.
TuFFstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #93
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
I'm getting ready to put a set of 01 cobra cams in my 03 mach 1. I have new intake cam bolts, gaskets, 01 cobra cams and I'm wondering if you have any tips.

I'm not sure what the dot to dot thing means because in my head, the tit in the cam gear will line up with the notch on the cams I am putting in correct? Do I need to take the exhaust cam bolt out in order to get the intake cam out or is there enough room to maneuver? Any tips are appreciated, hoping to tackle this in the next few days and I'm sure I'll have a better understanding when I get it opened up.
Answering a few questions I received by PM.

1. Parts list looks good. Just make sure you have some high temp silicone handy. Might want to invest in the timing chain wedge as well, cam holding tool, etc. up to you.

2. Dot to dot just means you are lining up the keyways to put it back exactly were it was before. You just keep tension on the timing chains, to ensure you do not skip a tooth. Use white out to mark in multiple places on the intake and exhaust. You skip a tooth, you will damage your engine. As long as you keep tension on the chain, this is pretty straight forward because the cam can only slide in one way into the cam gear.

3. I would remove the exhaust cam bolt if you can't get enough chain slack, because then you can slide the cam gear on the exhaust cam. Timing chain wedge helps increase slack and makes the process easier. Get one.

4. Use rags to keep things from falling into the timing cover.

5. Take your time, don't rush, be careful. If you take you time and don't force anything it will be a smooth job. If you get frustrated and force things or skip a timing tooth, you will mess something up. Use the right torque specs, and double and triple check them.

Post here and I'll help you along. I'm on here all the time

Old 04-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #94
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFFstang View Post
Has anyone every tried removing the entire intake (everything) when attempting the Cam cover install or Cam swap? It would give a lot more access room for the job.

To respond to this comment, I would have just removed the entire intake manifold if I had known originally. It is really easy to remove, and its best to leave the throttle body connected on the upper intake.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #95
not a gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Shakered View Post
I just did the 98 cam swap my self over the weekend. Very straight forward job. Hardest part was removing the driver side valve cover. I just removed the 4 bolts holding the whole brake booster to the firewall and removed the valve cover.
Note. Remove the front bracket in the front of the engine under the shaker. Gray in color 2 bolts and a nut holding it on.

I have to remove my valve covers, thanks for write ups guys. When you say 4 bolts, you talking hydroboost and all? Are nuts under dash or anything needed to be done under dash?
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #96
03machstock

Quote:
Answering a few questions I received by PM.

1. Parts list looks good. Just make sure you have some high temp silicone handy. Might want to invest in the timing chain wedge as well, cam holding tool, etc. up to you.

2. Dot to dot just means you are lining up the keyways to put it back exactly were it was before. You just keep tension on the timing chains, to ensure you do not skip a tooth. Use white out to mark in multiple places on the intake and exhaust. You skip a tooth, you will damage your engine. As long as you keep tension on the chain, this is pretty straight forward because the cam can only slide in one way into the cam gear.

3. I would remove the exhaust cam bolt if you can't get enough chain slack, because then you can slide the cam gear on the exhaust cam. Timing chain wedge helps increase slack and makes the process easier. Get one.

4. Use rags to keep things from falling into the timing cover.

5. Take your time, don't rush, be careful. If you take you time and don't force anything it will be a smooth job. If you get frustrated and force things or skip a timing tooth, you will mess something up. Use the right torque specs, and double and triple check them.

Post here and I'll help you along. I'm on here all the time
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to tackle this tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #97
03machstock

So I got the passenger side completely done and buttoned up, and started to take apart the drivers side, and now I'm at the point where the cover is loose and clutch and throttle cables disconnected and out of the way, and I'm just deciding what's easier, jack motor up, or take apart brake booster. I'm thinking I'll jack the motor up. Is it just that one nut on the motor mount or did you guys take the mount off the motor itsself? Oh well that's for tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #98
Mach828
Dark Knight

I removed the drivers side nut completely and barely left the passenger side on. I think I even loosened the trans mount a little but can't recall. If you have a stock trans mount it will have plenty of flex. (i have poly and solid).

Safer way is to just remove that hydroboost. Seems like the others don't have a hard time taking it off.

You can turn the motor over by hand to ensure you have everything correct when you are done. The drivers side cam gear faces a different direction than the passenger side. Because the lower crank cam gears are one in front of the other.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #99
03machstock

I can't get the valve cover to clear by jacking the motor up. I have the trans mount loosened, passenger side nut loosened, and drivers side nut off. It starts to jack up the drivers side, then the whole motor starts to jack up, then it stops and lifts the car. I'm stumped. If I need to take off the brake booster, do I need to disconnect it from the master cylinder? It looks like that will be next to impossible for me because of my line lock unless I disconnect all the brake lines.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #100
Mach828
Dark Knight

I recall having to tilt the engine to get part of the valve cover to clear, then lowering it again to get the rest of the cover off.