2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 06-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #301
TKat13
Mach-T

Re: TKat13's Mach1 Build Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzAzure03 View Post
Following this due to me doing something similar soon! Great work man!
Good luck to you; make sure you get a daily beater and take your time. Its the small things that will kick you in the butt. I think my two biggest delays in completing this project is 1. Shipping time of parts and 2. taking time off to re-fill my patience bank.

There are a few things I would do differently today; after seeing the Vibrant V-bands with their lipped mating surfaces, I think I would have the On3 ones cut off and replaced by Vibrant's. Heck, after understanding the turbo setups so much better, I would even be inclined to make my own kit now. Tac weld it together and then have it welded up.

BTW, I think my next project will be to get back on my 'Cuda and do a full custom twin turbo setup for it. Thinking a small block new-gen Hemi. I have a 440 for the 'Cuda but that block can really only handle 600HP reliably before the block stresses out and it is way to heavy. Only wish this forum was more than Mach's; I really don't care for many other forums out there.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #302
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
Freakin plugs !!!?? After all the work , comes down to a plug...isn't power fun !!
Very happy for ya, great numbers at such a low psi
Thanks Larry; one one part I was thrilled it was the plugs but on the other part I was so irritated. lol

Just got back from Spain so the car has been waiting for my return to finish the tuning.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 06-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #303
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
Just a comparison from the first time I tune the car; 13psi netted 636HP; 10psi netted 630HP with the new combo. What I failed to ask was how close I was getting on the injectors.
You should be fine at 636 on 80 pound injectors. I made over 1000 with 83s that were just over 90%.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #304
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
You should be fine at 636 on 80 pound injectors. I made over 1000 with 83s that were just over 90%.
Yep, the real question was how much more boost can I add before I hit the injector's limit, safely. I had planned on buying much larger injectors but I need a break on the wallet for a bit before I do that. Between the Mach and my daughter's GT I just need a break from the cash flow.

When you made over 1000 on 83s, what fuel were you using?
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 06-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #305
TKat13
Mach-T

Got the Mach back today; drives better than it ever has, not even talking WOT, just normal driving. Simply drives perfectly. Give it some gas and tires instantly break loose so I will be replacing those dried out Nittos.

I will get the graph at a later time, was so excited to drive it that I left the graph behind, and I do not remember the torque number but it was really nice. The curve was very clean.

Made 750rwhp at 14psi of boost. I am extremely happy with that amount of power at such a low boost. I did max out the Maf and the injectors are getting close as well; so I will need a mafia or a bigger inlet pipe and injectors, nothing I did not expect.

But for now, I am going to leave it alone and enjoy it.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP

Last edited by TKat13; 06-19-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #306
not a gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
Got the Mach back today; drives better than it ever has, not even talking WOT, just normal driving. Simply drives perfectly. Give it some gas and tires instantly break loose so I will be replacing those dried out Nittos.

I will get the graph at a later time, was so excited to drive it that I left the graph behind, and I do not remember the torque number but it was really nice. The curve was very clean.

Made 750rwhp at 14psi of boost. I am extremely happy with that amount of power at such a low boost. I did max out the Maf and the injectors are getting close as well; so I will need a mafia or a bigger inlet pipe and injectors, nothing I did not expect.

But for now, I am going to leave it alone and enjoy it.
Congrats and enjoy..you deserve it
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #307
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

That's great man! That's some power right there.

IG: @azurebluemach
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #308
TKat13
Mach-T

Thanks guys. This weekend proved that my tires are quite terrible, every time I got into boost even on the lowest boost setting the rear tires just went up in smoke. I need to get some drag radials but also some better daily driving rubber. I am thinking about NT05s for daily duty, seem to be the softest with a deeper grooves for rain. Anyone here use NT05s for daily driving? How's the grip?
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 08-14-2015, 12:10 PM   #309
TKat13
Mach-T

Driving adventure Update: car is still running great and even took my mom out for a spin; she requested so I did a test hit and she was still with us then I let it all hang out. At about 120 we were 'drifting' and decided to bring it back in. The fun of street tires. haha. She actually enjoyed the heck out of it and wants a re-run when I get tires. You can imagine my shock, after all these years I had no idea my mom not only liked speed but loves it! I am 42; her youngest of 3 and this is truly the most powerful car she has ever been in. I'm glad it made her smile. (all done on a closed course of course )

Cooling Update Status:
Ok, back to the update; Well down here in Texas we have had a very nice hot spell. Temps 109, this really test the cooling capacity of a car. I did not like the fact that I had to run without AC to keep it at 210. Thought I had this licked, but I guess it was only better; not 100%.

So, in keeping with the spirit of this build log I figured I would keep everyone updated to the challenges I face and what I am doing to resolve them. Hell, it is fun wrenching on the car anyway.

The biggest question now that I made the other changes was discovering the root cause of the heat soak. I know, it is the turbo but more appropriately it is the 'turbo system'. Power makes heat, simple as that. But, is the real problem now the fact that the heat is getting stuck under the hood and heat soaking everything or is the radiator getting heat soaked and not allowing it to cool the coolant properly.

Test 1:
Underhood heat soak Test

This was actually an easy test, I need to vent the hood so the heat can escape. I simply removed the shaker, closed the hood and started my normal drive from work to home with the AC on of course. Temps quickly went to 210, then 220 then 230 then I turned off the AC and they dropped to 220 but getting it less than 220 was impossible. It was the hottest day of the year.
Result: Failure - just did not seam to improve much of anything. It did have the cool factor of watching the heat escape the hood and distort the air visually.

Test 2:
Add helper fans to the intercooler

I picked up two 10" pusher fans and mounted them to the front of the intercooler and wired up a switch to turn them on. Drove to work the next day and was able to run the AC almost all the way to work, but this was in the AM, it did get to 215ish. So the real test is on the way home from work. This did not fair as well, I hit 210 then 220 which I then turned off the AC and temps went back down to 210. I got about a mile into my trip when I hit 210. This test did prove that having more air forced in did indeed help.

Test 3:
Helper fans on Intercooler plus Shaker removed

This test combines Test 1 and Test 2. The logic here was Test 2 above improved things, and with added air flow maybe having the shaker removed would improve the flow as well. Bottom line, little or no improvement seen. Bummer.

Conclusion of the three tests were simple, I needed more tests / changes. What it did tell me was the air flow was not enough to cool the engine. My next test was staring me in my face and I knew it was there but have been ignoring it up until now. The Intercooler MUST go!

Test 4:
Remove the intercooler.

(keeping it out of boost)
This test is to prove the intercooler is or is not the problem. A turbo car is pretty useless without a way to cool down the inlet air. But, this is for a test and I need to know. I also wanted to prove or disprove this theory because I am heading down the road of spending more money and want to make sure this is the right approach before I drop more cash.

I removed the intercooler, put a 3" x 32" pipe where the intercooler was and secured it. Drove about an hour last night ( this is much more than driving to work) but temps were down as well. With the AC on MAX the temp only made it to 205. With AC in normal mode it stayed at 200 but took a long time to get there. On the way to work this morning the temp went to 200 and stopped and I had very cold air all the way to work. In prior tests, the AC performance would drop off the more I drove it. Today, Ice cold, even my glasses fogged when getting out of the car. Yeah!!

At this point you may be thinking, great, but you need the intercooler so you are pretty much screwed! Ah, but this leads to the next development of the cold side of the Turbo System. I will be installing a Water to Air Intercooler in the front, but out of the way of the radiator, installing an 03/04 Cobra heat exchanger (bought here on M1R), Water Tank (plastic) and a Pump. This will allow me to put Ice in the water tank when at the track. I also picked up a Taylor battery relocation kit, mount this in the trunk. I will update this thread with my progress, but I suspect it will take a few weeks to get all the parts. Trying to get it all done before the heat wave leaves.

Many may be wondering why I am doing this, some say to just park it in July and August. But, that would mean I failed in my original goal. I wanted a stupid fast car that I can daily drive and have AC with my tunes. Not that I will drive it every day, but I want that ability. Besides, this is fun. I am not sure what I like more, driving a fast car or building one. Its a toss up.

Of course, as the project progresses I will post pics.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 08-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #310
not a gt

I understand the turbo makes heat deal, what I can't relate to (or can), here in SE GA we are having 95 to 105 degree days, 90 degrees at the track, I have a stock thermostat, stock fan and cruising around in this heat I see temps of 195, hell even at the track making 6 passes with just the staging lane wait in between max I see then is 210...great test done on this, does the temps affect a turbo setup as much as say an Eaton ??? When I turn on my A/C (which is rare in any heat since I keep windows down), I don't see any change in my temp. This is all with my Aeroforce gage, all I monitor is temp on top line and IAT on bottom (did notice on P1 my temp is always about 5 degrees over ambient). Did not know you could run pump and other Cobra stuff on a turbo setup, sounds like this may cure some things, have you researched this temp issue with others with a similar setup??
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
Old 08-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #311
01yellerCobra

Quote:
I understand the turbo makes heat deal, what I can't relate to (or can), here in SE GA we are having 95 to 105 degree days, 90 degrees at the track, I have a stock thermostat, stock fan and cruising around in this heat I see temps of 195, hell even at the track making 6 passes with just the staging lane wait in between max I see then is 210...great test done on this, does the temps affect a turbo setup as much as say an Eaton ??? When I turn on my A/C (which is rare in any heat since I keep windows down), I don't see any change in my temp. This is all with my Aeroforce gage, all I monitor is temp on top line and IAT on bottom (did notice on P1 my temp is always about 5 degrees over ambient). Did not know you could run pump and other Cobra stuff on a turbo setup, sounds like this may cure some things, have you researched this temp issue with others with a similar setup??
What he's showing is the intercooler is restricting air flow through the radiator. This can happen with the thicker core intercoolers. Depending on how tight the fins are packed the intercooler can keep the radiator from getting enough air.
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #312
not a gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yellerCobra View Post
What he's showing is the intercooler is restricting air flow through the radiator. This can happen with the thicker core intercoolers. Depending on how tight the fins are packed the intercooler can keep the radiator from getting enough air.
Oh ok, got it. When I mounted my I/C I used a spacer on the top and more washers on the bottom where I have maybe a 2" gap between I/C and radiator. Also I went to Ford dealer and got that plastic piece that mounts to the bottom core support, the deflector thingy, I figured it would help air to go in between the rad and I/C cruising, not sure if that helps and/or if he can fab something to get that bottom air up to help, hope I am making sense lol
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
Old 08-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #313
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Exactly, when I picked up the kit I paid extra for the larger intercooler, larger meaning it is thicker.

Quote:
Oh ok, got it. When I mounted my I/C I used a spacer on the top and more washers on the bottom where I have maybe a 2" gap between I/C and radiator. Also I went to Ford dealer and got that plastic piece that mounts to the bottom core support, the deflector thingy, I figured it would help air to go in between the rad and I/C cruising, not sure if that helps and/or if he can fab something to get that bottom air up to help, hope I am making sense lol
I also have the deflector installed, purchased it a month or so ago.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 08-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #314
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
To be honest, I am doing this all with a stand-alone temp gauge / sensor. I have noticed that my factory readings are a bit cooler when reading via my ODBII. I decided to trust the sensor that was giving me the hottest readings, error on caution.

The Cobra stuff is used to cool the water that is circulating through the water-air intercooler. BTW, I have researched this and many people are struggling with the same issue I have had. All of them are 03/04 cobras converted to turbos with built motors and cams/head work. BTW, my setup is a huge improvement over the previous motor, that one got hot without the AC.

I am considering putting on an 03/04 front bumper because of the larger openings, but I really do not want to as I am not a fan of the fog light side bulge. If I do it, it is only for function. lol
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 08-14-2015, 11:42 PM   #315
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:

Wow, so a higher CFM fan setup may not do a whole lot for him. I figured there would be more heat that has to transfer out, but I didn't think about airflow restrictions.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:48 PM   #316
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Cool write-up on your tests! Interesting outcome too. I thought for sure removing the shaker would have had great results. I always figured it would trap heat and even hold it because of the metal. Do you have a dual speed fan kinda like stock or dual fan with 2 speeds? I was wondering how that would do. Would it cover more surface area with pull through the radiator and intercooler?

Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #317
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

glad its improving anyway. Ive only seen bits and pieces of this thread but

1) whats your guess on what your coolant/water mix is?

2) have you tried anything like redline water wetter? Mishimoto also has a new coolant and coolant additive out theyre calling liquid chill and claiming up to a 30 degree drop in temps in certain conditions. I dont know much about it yet as I just found out it existed. I posted on SVTP looking for feedback, will probably post on mod fords as well.

I was having water temp troubles in traffic with AC on as well with my procharger setup. I will say Im starting to suspect the CFM rating of my parts store cooling fan may be less than the OEM after all of Not A GTs posts

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #318
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruza View Post
Cool write-up on your tests! Interesting outcome too. I thought for sure removing the shaker would have had great results. I always figured it would trap heat and even hold it because of the metal. Do you have a dual speed fan kinda like stock or dual fan with 2 speeds? I was wondering how that would do. Would it cover more surface area with pull through the radiator and intercooler?

I upgraded the fan to a Volvo fan from a turbo car; it is about the only fan out there that has more CFM than our stock fans but more importantly it has a real shroud, not just a fan pulling. It was an improvement, but not enough by itself. I would still recommend that fan. It is a single speed only fan, it is wired to high speed mode only, that way it comes on with the AC. I also had the temp set to come sooner than normal.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 08-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #319
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
glad its improving anyway. Ive only seen bits and pieces of this thread but

1) whats your guess on what your coolant/water mix is?
I am running 100% distilled water with two bottles of redline water wetter.

Quote:
glad
2) have you tried anything like redline water wetter? Mishimoto also has a new coolant and coolant additive out theyre calling liquid chill and claiming up to a 30 degree drop in temps in certain conditions. I dont know much about it yet as I just found out it existed. I posted on SVTP looking for feedback, will probably post on mod fords as well.
See comment above; but I think I am past the miracle additive cure, just need to make the best system possible.

Quote:
I was having water temp troubles in traffic with AC on as well with my procharger setup. I will say Im starting to suspect the CFM rating of my parts store cooling fan may be less than the OEM after all of Not A GTs posts
I am sure my core issues come from running aggressive cams; my long-block is the basically same that many run in the X275 drag class, even my TH400 is the same one. I just have a wimpy 76mm turbo to their 88s and a host of other mods they do like computer, suspension, etc. All of that just adds heat. Just makes it more challenging, but I do not believe it is impossible to resolve.

After driving around with the intercooler removed, and temps staying low I am reminded at how much I miss the AC. Really nice jumping out of the car and my glasses fog instantly. :P This really tells me the water-air intercooler is the best path. I think I am finally onto a final solution. Heck, when I go to the track I can throw in some ice to really drop the intake temps.

I just hope others learn from my challenges and save someone money in the future. Just think, I would have saved that 100.00 upgrade fee when I chose to get the larger intercooler. lol
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 08-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #320
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

this is a definitely an expensive/frustrating hobby for sure...

the more I think about it, I kept the OEM cooling fan motor when my blade assembly broke. Im gonna see if I can replace the Dorman motor with the OEM one. According to the Dorman support line their fan on low speed is 2300cfm and 2400 on high, sounds like it might be a little low

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #321
sutyak
it's soo-tack

First off - awesome build! This is a wealth of information! I just picked up a turbo Mach 1, and chances are good I might need to pick your brain if you don't mind.
Second, have you considered "boxing" the intercooler?
Here is a photo of the intercooler from my turbo Focus. I used some 1" aluminum and framed in the intercooler, which forces the air into it rather than deflecting off. This alone dropped the intake temps by 10 degrees at the end of the 1/4. (yes I race the Focus Ran 12.4 at 115mph last time out)
Intake temp was 116°F at the end of the run. Dropped to 84° by the end of the 1/4 runout, and 66° by the time I picked up my timeslip. Ambient temp was 60°. This was before meth injection.
The more air through the intercooler, the more air through your radiator is my thought.

Installed:
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #322
TKat13
Mach-T

Interesting idea; I never really thought about it much. Maybe this will be my first project for the new Tig welder I picked up.

Anytime you have questions just shoot them over, I know there are things I have done that are not listed in the build log; sometimes I just forget to update it as we know the process never stops.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 10-05-2015, 11:30 PM   #323
Mustang9668
saving pennies

So I got part of my On3 kit in the mail today *woot*
One box for some reason hasn't been shipped yet with the cold side piping

I was reading through the instructions and it says a bump steer kit is required if you are going to lower the car. Is this really needed?

03 Cobra--18x9/10.5 TSW Nurburgring Wheels, Nitto NT05's 275/295, Stiegemeier ported, 2.87” pulley, Canton 9-qt oil pan, Spec Stage II clutch, MM coilovers, Bilstein Shocks/Struts, LFP heat exchanger, LFP radiator, Evans cooling system, 14" Brembo 4 Piston calipers, 470whp, 460ft-lbs
Mustang9668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #324
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

Just from reading about lowering these cars you do need a bump steer kit, but I have no personal experience with it.
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #325
not a gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mach1 View Post
Just from reading about lowering these cars you do need a bump steer kit, but I have no personal experience with it.
Me too, I read alot on MM website about the need of the offset for the rack bushing. DSG, I have the stock fan motor if you still want to try that, sorry for hijack Darrell, that side piece on I/C sounds like a good idea, is there any room left though?
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq