2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
CPMGNT

Wheel hop with a solid axle...

im just recently getting wheel hop instead of my tires spinning smoothly like it use to do. i have installed 31 spline moser axles, cobra diff, 4.10 gears. i have BFG kdw2 tires, just recently put them back on. had some M/T et streets on for a while. im just worried i could have a bent wheel or a warped axle? thanks for any advice.
CPMGNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
03AV8R
Terrible Dyno Car!

Re: Wheel hop with a solid axle...

Wheel hop with a solid axle usually means something is "loose" somewhere.. If the tires themselves arent causing the problem due to traction or incorrect pressure or just not a good sticky tire for what your trying to do then the rear shocks is the First thing you need to inspect.. Are they adjustable?? Do you have them set to soft?? To soft will cause a "loose" condition & make the rear axle jump back & fourth because there is nothing "stiff" preventing it from doing so.. Next is the control arms.. Are they tight?? Rubber bushings?? where's the rubber bushngs?? Alot of launching & there is bound to be a rubber blown out somewhere.. There are 8 ends to look at on the control arms.. Its very unlikely you have anything bent causing wheel hop.. my guess it is a setup issue with rear shocks being to soft etc..

Axles of Evil Racing

Bolt-On's
All the good ones :PIMP: running 11.17's N/A on the stock factory motor.
Results
Best 1/4 mile 11.174 (Slicks) 11.2's (Quick TP's) 12.072 (17" Street Stocker wheels & tires)
Best MPH 119.22
Best 60' 1.474 (With ET Drags) 1.51 (Quick TP's) 1.8's (17" stockers)
03AV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
CPMGNT

thanks....ill inspect the bushings. i have stock control arms. tokiko blue shocks. h&r ss springs. tires and psi are good. maybe a shock went bad. thanks again. ill start invetigating. ill be doing some new brake pads soon. ill look then. i waqnt some mega bite control arms. might buy some and put those in same time.
CPMGNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
BluBlurr32V
Bro's B4 Ho's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cobraguy View Post
do you have after market control arms ?
+1 LCA's improve traction and reduce wheel hop.

Magnapack Cat-back, Bassani Catted X-pipe, C&L intake, MGW shifter, MM FLSC, MM Alum steering rack bushings, MM S/S brake lines, MM C/C plates, MM Panhard Bar, H&R Race springs, Blistein HD's, Steeda 2pt STB, Moser 31-spline axles, and S197 posi
BluBlurr32V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:14 AM   #5
CompOrange
PSR Mafia

What all have you done to your rear end?

I'm leaning towards the direction of roy...just watched a guy destroy his drive shaft in a Fox tonight because the dipshît let the thing dry hop in the burnout. The guy staging people for burnouts wasn't pushing people into the box enough and this guy ends up doing a burnout on dry ET Drags. Worse yet is that the fool kept his **** foot in it after the car squated and then unloaded sending it into a wheel hop. The **** wheel hop got so severe that he shît pieces of the drive shaft and the yoke all over.

Something about the way the car was leaving all night just didn't look right, seemed like the car would load up and then unload meaning a little stiffer shock setting would have probably been beneficial. I think the soft shock setting or blown rubber bushings might be your problem. Didn't take me long on slicks to kill those things. Blown out bushings equals a recipe for fail...

2003 Mach 1 - Azure Blue
5 speed

Mostly stock...except for a few goodies
CompOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

You need to upgrade the control arms!!!!!
Kooks LTsw/OR X, elect cutouts, JLT RAI w/C&L 85 MAH,1" Spacer,PP Lower intake,Accufab TB,160 T-stat,EF Cooling Mod,NX Kit,Mez Electric Water pump,SLP Linelock,FRPP 4.10s-Alum Dif Cover-Alum Driveshaft & SL, Steeda Bumpsteer,MM Alum rack bushings,Deep Alum Tranny pan,Predator,Steeda AUCAs,MM ALCAs, Dspecs,MM CC plates & FLSFCs,MRT Guage cluster,AEM WB,MRT hood struts,Seq TLs, carbon fiber hood/trunk/Cobra wing,220 amp alt
3150Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote