2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Fluid Systems (coolant, oil, fuel)

Old 05-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #101
j rick kirby

Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Don't know if it's true but I was told over the weekend my one of my car building buddies that the M1 for older motors has more zinc and other anti wear additives in it and they can do that because they don't have to conform to the same rules as oil for new cars.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #102
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruza View Post
I spent a few hours searching and aside from sending a sample out to Blackstone and proving it's worth myself, I'm going to have to avoid Royal Purple. Call it peer pressure, I suppose lol. I've been too chicken to switch to a yearly oil change with it (or Mobil 1), even though I'm around 5k or less miles per year in the Mach. I've been wanting to try Amsoil anyway, and I'd have to wait for Royal Purple HPS, so now is as good of a time as any.
I use Amsoil for the added zinc and its ability to hold up when running E85. However, I still change it often, E85 is rough on oil.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #103
AlloyPony

Mobil 1 is extremely over rated. Not only does it not meet specs for some domestic manufacturers, but in my 5.0L Coyote engine it burned pretty bad. My 5.0 NEVER burned oil until I tried running Mobil 1 in it. It was nearly 2 quarts low when I thankfully checked the dipstick one day about half way through an oil change cycle.

As far as 0W20 goes, it's still for sale. They even have 0W30 and 0W40 on the shelf at Walmart. But, I'd avoid it.

I think I'm going to run 5W30 in my Mach and F150 from now on. If you research 5W20, you'll find that it was developed solely for CAFE numbers and efficiency in new vehicles. Ford (and the other companies) don't give a rat's rear end what happens to your engine past the warranty period. They do, however, worry about the cost of building vehicles that aren't fuel efficient in today's EPA controlled world.

People who care about longevity of engines should consider "thicker" oils in my opinion. The harder you run a car, the better your viscosity needs to be. I mean, just look at the newer Mustang GTs. They spec 5W20 oil too...but if you get the track package guess what? Then you get 5W50 oil. Same engine, but when they assume people are going to run it harder they know they need better oil than 5W20.

Also, it's funny because recently somebody on another forum sent me this link.

http://www.paladinmicro.com/pmicro.php#

You have to navigate to "Tech info/opinion > Miscellaneous > 5W20 not for me"
Old 02-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #104
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
Mobil 1 is extremely over rated. Not only does it not meet specs for some domestic manufacturers, but in my 5.0L Coyote engine it burned pretty bad. My 5.0 NEVER burned oil until I tried running Mobil 1 in it. It was nearly 2 quarts low when I thankfully checked the dipstick one day about half way through an oil change cycle.

As far as 0W20 goes, it's still for sale. They even have 0W30 and 0W40 on the shelf at Walmart. But, I'd avoid it.

I think I'm going to run 5W30 in my Mach and F150 from now on. If you research 5W20, you'll find that it was developed solely for CAFE numbers and efficiency in new vehicles. Ford (and the other companies) don't give a rat's rear end what happens to your engine past the warranty period. They do, however, worry about the cost of building vehicles that aren't fuel efficient in today's EPA controlled world.

People who care about longevity of engines should consider "thicker" oils in my opinion. The harder you run a car, the better your viscosity needs to be. I mean, just look at the newer Mustang GTs. They spec 5W20 oil too...but if you get the track package guess what? Then you get 5W50 oil. Same engine, but when they assume people are going to run it harder they know they need better oil than 5W20.

Also, it's funny because recently somebody on another forum sent me this link.

http://www.paladinmicro.com/pmicro.php#

You have to navigate to "Tech info/opinion > Miscellaneous > 5W20 not for me"
So what did you switch your Coyote to that it doesn't burn off?
HPDE Instructor
Old 02-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #105
rich1
AUTOMACHTIC

Oil is like BEER everyone has their own brand.

I have used Castrol in every thing I have ever owned with zero engine failures. Once I let the dealer change my oil to Motorcraft 5W20 when the Mach was getting an alignment. I live 4 miles from the shop and the motor started tapping more and more on the way home. I put it up on my Quick Jack and changed the oil back to Castrol Edge it stopped the noise. As far as the weights.... 5 W30 in the summer (thicker) and 5 W20 winter (thinner). I will repeat the same thing in the 5.0 Coyote too.
UPGRADES...Tokico Illuminas Borla SS Catback , Steeda Underdrives , Strut Brace , HPM Lower K Brace , L /C Arms , U /C Arms , HPM PanHard Bar, K&N FRPK 2, GOODYEAR GT1 , MRT- H-Pipe , JLT VaporTraps , SLP-12'" Tips! , FRPP Shorty 1 5/8 Headers , Brembo D/S & PBR D/S Rotors ,FRPP Alum.DS ,Roys 3/8 Spacer , SVT Focus 255 pump SCTsw Chip PRO-DYNOjet NA 300.01hp /315tq (Auto) ,Innovate W/B ,Compucar Wet Kit (90jet) + Heater and E Gauge * 360 hp/385tq 12.5 -1/4 @112
rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #106
AlloyPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
So what did you switch your Coyote to that it doesn't burn off?
Went back to Motorcraft 5W30 syn blend. It's $18 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart and works great for me.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #107
j rick kirby

Quote:
Went back to Motorcraft 5W30 syn blend. It's $18 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart and works great for me.
You don't lose any between changes?
HPDE Instructor
Old 02-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #108
AlloyPony

Quote:
You don't lose any between changes?
Nope, doesn't seem to burn off at all with the Motorcraft oil. I go probably 7,000 miles or a little more between changes. I do occasionally check the level to be sure though. That Mobil 1 fiasco scared me a little. Lol.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #109
j rick kirby

Quote:
Nope, doesn't seem to burn off at all with the Motorcraft oil. I go probably 7,000 miles or a little more between changes. I do occasionally check the level to be sure though. That Mobil 1 fiasco scared me a little. Lol.
I may have to switch back at this next change and see what happens. I go thru about a quart every 2,500 miles. I suspect some of mine is thru the PCV because I always heel/toe on the street to stay in practice.
HPDE Instructor
Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #110
03Shadow Grey

Quote:
I may have to switch back at this next change and see what happens. I go thru about a quart every 2,500 miles. I suspect some of mine is thru the PCV because I always heel/toe on the street to stay in practice.
Same with mine and mobil 1 also about a 1/2 cup in the catch can.
03Shadow Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:42 AM   #111
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey View Post
Same with mine and mobil 1 also about a 1/2 cup in the catch can.
A half a cup is 4 oz, are you sure? How many miles for that amount to accumulate?
HPDE Instructor
Old 02-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #112
03Shadow Grey

Nice catch ,lol. forgive my old eyes. I pour it in old infamil bottle to keep up with it.Sorry for the bad info, 1/2 a cup is what I have collected since I bought driver side jtl. Its actually around 0.5 OZ at 4500 to 5k miles.
03Shadow Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #113
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey View Post
Nice catch ,lol. forgive my old eyes. I pour it in old infamil bottle to keep up with it.Sorry for the bad info, 1/2 a cup is what I have collected since I bought driver side jtl. Its actually around 0.5 OZ at 4500 to 5k miles.
Whew that sounds better.
HPDE Instructor
Old 05-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #114
67bigblock

Just a quick update to anyone having to do an oil change that might be new. I bought my 04 new btw.
I just did the Spring oil change about 2 weeks ago.
6.25 quarts of the recommended viscosity conventional oil.
Sometime I’ll grab the “blend” if need be. IE availability.
I’ve used the Valvoline VO-47 filter or the Wix.

It’s an easy car to do the oil change.
Please dispose your used oil responsibly.
04 F250 Harley Edition Orange/Black
04 F350 Harley Edition Black/Black
67bigblock is offline   Reply With Quote