2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 12-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
drcozcaz

Scrapping metal noise under 03 Mach 1

When I start my 03 Mach 1 cold, I hear what sound like metal on metals scrapping sound or spinning scrapping noise. It sound like when the harddrive failed on my old computer. The sound is there in neutral with clutch in or out. It is a metal to metal rubbing scraping sound that goes away once the car warms up or when I have driven maybe a ½ mile. The sound to me is under the car in the tranny area. It only comes back after the car has sat for a long time or overnight. I have seen youtube videos of the same problem but no one confirmed what the solution to the problem is or where noise is coming from. I had PEPBOYS and a Tranny shop listen for it but they could not tell me what the problem is. They did not think it was the throw out bearing or the starter. Have you experienced this and identified the problem?
Mods are K&N Filter and BBK long tube headers.
drcozcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
stang8092

Re: Scrapping metal noise under 03 Mach 1

Sounds like a cat heat shield?
'03 AB Mach 1 (x2), '87 Saleen #223, '92 s/c Saleen clone, '80 Mustang
stang8092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
mach03one

Yes mine does it too if I start it and its around freezing out side. I just let it idle till it goes away. Normally it will make the noise when I push the clutch peddle in, but if its REALLY cold it will make it regardless of clutch position. 2-3 minutes and no more noise.

I had the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and new clutch and flywheel put in this last summer, hopping it would help. I discovered about a week ago that it didn't.....

any one figure out the problem?
MGW shifter, FRP alum DS, FRP cobra clutch, FRP alum FW, 17x9 black 03 cobra wheels, 275x40 NT05, Cut stock springs 3/4 coil front no isos 1 coil rear both isos, MM HD LCA, Bassani CB, JLT RAI, UPR OR X pipe
mach03one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
mach03one

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang8092 View Post
Sounds like a cat heat shield?
Mine does not. No cats on mine, and it made the same noise when the stock H was on.
MGW shifter, FRP alum DS, FRP cobra clutch, FRP alum FW, 17x9 black 03 cobra wheels, 275x40 NT05, Cut stock springs 3/4 coil front no isos 1 coil rear both isos, MM HD LCA, Bassani CB, JLT RAI, UPR OR X pipe
mach03one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
boostownsme

I have a similar noise, and bbk lt's as well. Mine goes away for the most part as well when it warms up or the temperature is warmer out. I'm thinking it might be where the headers meet the h-pipe, and its the contact between the slip on area that is making it.
boostownsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
NastyNate

I have the same noise in my Mach. only when cold and goes away when its warm. Its been driving me nuts. I have a bbk catted xpipe and flows. Clutch in or out its doesnt help either. Any insight would help.
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
ModMike
Modular Maniac

Check the thin spacer plate between your engine and the transmission to make sure the 2 bolts near the bottom of the transmission bellhousing are tight. These are the ones you would see if you crawled under the car and looked from the front of transmission that bolt the spacer to the transmission. May not be it, but worth looking at it. Sometimes that spacer can be and rub on a moving part.

Last edited by ModMike; 12-23-2011 at 03:56 PM.
ModMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
rcodemach1

Could be...

This was a common problem on Fox body cars. Although they had aluminum block plates that were prone to warpage. I think ours are steel.

'03 Mach, Oxford White, 5-spd, Eaton
'03 Mach, Black, automatic (parting out)
'98 GT, 410w, C4, Vortech

rcodemach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
ModMike
Modular Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodemach1 View Post
Could be...

This was a common problem on Fox body cars. Although they had aluminum block plates that were prone to warpage. I think ours are steel.
They are steel, but its thin and bends pretty easy. The only other thing in that area I can think of that could really make a scrapping or rattling noise (other than a heat shield) would be in the starter/flywheel area. Can you post a video or sound clip of the noise? If we could hear it we may be of more help. You sure its not your exhaust hitting the body somewhere? I had one that the exhaust going over the rear axle would rub sometimes too.
ModMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
icutice2
twinturbomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMike View Post
They are steel, but its thin and bends pretty easy. The only other thing in that area I can think of that could really make a scrapping or rattling noise (other than a heat shield) would be in the starter/flywheel area. Can you post a video or sound clip of the noise? If we could hear it we may be of more help. You sure its not your exhaust hitting the body somewhere? I had one that the exhaust going over the rear axle would rub sometimes too.
Does sound like fly wheel issue
RETURN FUEL SYSTEM
80LBS INJECTORS
FULL RACE SUSPENSION
18LBS DUAL WASTEGATE SPRINGS
TWIN 62MM THROTTLE BODY
KENNY BELL BAP AND BAS
MAFIA BIG AIR CHIP
AND MORE FUN STUFF
PUMP GAS 776RWHP 16LBS BOOST
C-16 RACE 981 RWHP 20LBS BOOST

I RACE CROTCH ROCKETS FOR FUN
icutice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
Medic

Sorry for bumping a thread that's over a month old, but I've started having the same issue. For me, it sounds like something rotational scraping as the starter spins down. Only does it on cold starts after the bendix disengages. If you attempt to start it while the engine is running, it recreates the same noise again leaving me to believe it's in the starter and not something else.

04, ~82k miles.

--Tim
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
XSELLR8
Mach-o-holic

I had a similar sound on my V6 (still does it). More of a metal hissing sound. I'm thinking it has to do with the throw out bearing spinning constantly (the way the stock system works it seems to spin even when the pedal is not being pushed in). My Mach 1 has an aftermarket clutch set up where the throw out bearing is constantly pushed away from the diaphram fingers until the clutch pedal is depressed. I never hear it on the Mach 1.
If this is the case, it will appear that the clutch has nothing to do with it because the t/o bearing is spinning even when the pedal is not being pushed in.
4.10s too

2004 Cobra Screaming Yellow
2.3L Whipple

Gear install vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrAIDCpbDI
Clutch Replacement Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFr0Rur_EWc
Wideband Install Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmL1KBmWyhg
XSELLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
fordrules

Anyone forgure it out my car just started doing this and I instantly thought spun bearing. lol
fordrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
USMCWeatherMan

Resurrecting this thread because I have noticed an issue since I did my clutch swap. Its a rotational metal rattle/scraping sound. Only occurs on cold start, if I start it within 20 minutes or so of shutting off I get nothing. Any longer than that, I hear it. It only lasts for a second or two right after cranking the engine then goes away and dont hear anything at all while driving.

At first I thought I jacked something up with the clutch install because I did it myself and before that my mechanic skills were limited to oil changes and brake pad/rotor swaps.

But since the car drives perfect aside for this one to two second sound at start up I am leaning to either it being a starter issue (been a lot on bendix issues). Either that or maybe a bad cat (still have stock mid pipe on there).

Anyways, I caught a video of it this morning, the vid itself if pretty bad, but its more the sound, you should be able to hear it right after I crank it.

Would really like to hear what your all's thoughts are on it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vz2pmpetmr...408_071555.mp4

The starter itself was purchased brand new during the clutch swap. But it is not an OEM Motorcraft part, bought it from OReillys but has a lifetime warranty.

Thanks in advance.
USMCWeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
blownslt

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCWeatherMan View Post
Resurrecting this thread because I have noticed an issue since I did my clutch swap. Its a rotational metal rattle/scraping sound. Only occurs on cold start, if I start it within 20 minutes or so of shutting off I get nothing. Any longer than that, I hear it. It only lasts for a second or two right after cranking the engine then goes away and dont hear anything at all while driving.

At first I thought I jacked something up with the clutch install because I did it myself and before that my mechanic skills were limited to oil changes and brake pad/rotor swaps.

But since the car drives perfect aside for this one to two second sound at start up I am leaning to either it being a starter issue (been a lot on bendix issues). Either that or maybe a bad cat (still have stock mid pipe on there).

Anyways, I caught a video of it this morning, the vid itself if pretty bad, but its more the sound, you should be able to hear it right after I crank it.

Would really like to hear what your all's thoughts are on it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vz2pmpetmr...408_071555.mp4

The starter itself was purchased brand new during the clutch swap. But it is not an OEM Motorcraft part, bought it from OReillys but has a lifetime warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Wow! Mine does the same exact thing. It's been doing it for a while. I'm not the original owner and the mods were done on my car before I got it. With that said I have no cats. I'm not sure if the clutch is stock. I'm sure it is with 29k miles. I was about to start checking idler pulley, but it almost sounds internal. I mostly hear it on cold start ups, especially if the car has been sitting a few days. I do not drive the car much, so it tends to sit. I have made it a point to crank it every day this week and today the noise was barely noticeable. Car runs to good to be "broken", so I'm baffled what it could be. I think it has done this ever since I have owned it. No internal motor mods that I know of. But I'm glad to hear I'm not alone!!!
blownslt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
blownslt

Thinking back now, I driven it say 30min and shut it down for an hour, fired it back up and had the noise.. It almost sounds like something internal is starting dry.. Ill video mine tomorrow evening when I start it up.
It's so crazy you post this because I tried to video mine today to send to a bud of mine who has not heard it yet. Of course today it was not loud enough to catch

Last edited by blownslt; 04-09-2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added spmething
Old 04-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #17
USMCWeatherMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownslt View Post
Thinking back now, I driven it say 30min and shut it down for an hour, fired it back up and had the noise.. It almost sounds like something internal is starting dry.. Ill video mine tomorrow evening when I start it up.
It's so crazy you post this because I tried to video mine today to send to a bud of mine who has not heard it yet. Of course today it was not loud enough to catch
Mine is kind of like that too, sometimes its there, sometimes its not. Its more likely to hear it on a cold start up, but as you say, sometimes its barely noticable...sometimes it is freaking loud.

I'm pretty certain it has to be something with the starter as I only ever hear it on startup, nothing while driving or engaging the clutch or going through gears. Other than this car drives pefect.

I'm moving to San Diego in a month, I'll be doing some preventive maintenance before I take off and plan to pull the starter when I do to inspect the teeth.

I'll post feedback and pics if I discover anything. I may just order a second replacement starter to swap on there just in case and to see if a different one still makes the noise.

It bugs me because its a little embarrassing when cranking it up as someone is walking by or standing there. I'm sure they are like WTF is that noise??
Old 04-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #18
blownslt

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCWeatherMan View Post

It bugs me because its a little embarrassing when cranking it up as someone is walking by or standing there. I'm sure they are like WTF is that noise??
Defiantly!
I never thought of the starter doing it, but makes perfect sense.
I'll try today to capture mine in action and will post it up.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #19
blownslt

Very faint today, you prob can't make it out.
http://youtu.be/hfoHZA3vJHw
Old 04-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #20
USMCWeatherMan

I heard it, sounded just like mine. Right after cranking and only lasts a second or two.

It will probably be the week after next when I get around to getting it up on a lift to go through some maintenance before my trip.

I'm hoping its as simple as the starter....definitely do not want to have to pull the tranny again anytime soon.

Will post up what I find.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #21
Azure03mach

My car also makes this noise only on start up when its been sitting for a while. Mine is super loud though and takes a few minutes to go away. Also it wont do it again unless the car has been sitting for at least a few hours?? Anybody figure anything out?????
Azure03mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #22
blownslt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure03mach View Post
My car also makes this noise only on start up when its been sitting for a while. Mine is super loud though and takes a few minutes to go away. Also it wont do it again unless the car has been sitting for at least a few hours?? Anybody figure anything out?????
My bud did a search on a timing chain tensioner going out. Seemed to fit the noise in my situation. From what I was told ford used a plastic timing chain tensioner? Hope this helps. I didn't do any more checking into it yet
Old 05-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #23
Azure03mach

From what I have read about that it doesn't seem to be the case for me? I will try to get a video up as soon as I get back home.
Azure03mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:05 AM   #24
lcaptmorg

Strange noise for sure. Mine hasnt done it with the last two combos but does with this combo. I have crawled all over the car looking for things that were loose, tranny plate, clutch flywheel. TOB etc. no luck just yet. Mine only does it for 5seconds or so then I have to wait a day to make it duplicate. Have even had a few of my mustang buddies over to listen. No help.
lcaptmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #25
drcozcaz

A mechanic suggested there was electrolosis occurring where an aluminum part touching steel was growing corrosion that rubs perhaps on the fly wheel or another spinning part. once you drive enough he said it wares off the corrosion and the sound is gone until it corrodes back. he could not locate where this was happening or how to stop it and it would cost too much to pull everything apart to try to find it. Does anyone think this is correct or has pulled the clutch or tranny off and saw a spot where this might happen??
if you know you would help us all fix our Mach 1's.
drcozcaz is offline   Reply With Quote