2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

View Poll Results: Ask a Police Officer Htread - Good Idea?
Yes, good idea 54 60.67%
No way...scrap it 2 2.25%
let's try it and see how it goes 24 26.97%
What do I care. Where is the Procharger thread? 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #176
kopacko

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakn
Wow! I hope you all don't have a weapon malfunction in the heat of the battle....not even on duty?
Yep...unfortunately...my department was the subject of 3 major lawsuits in the late 90s. Because of them, Tennessee has a strict no high speed pursuit policy. You will be brought up on charges if you do. It is a little crazy.

2004 Competition Orange Mach1, 5-Speed
Dyno: 299 RWHP | 322 RWTQ (SAE)

BUILD DATE: 03/16/2004
PURCHASED: 05/20/2004
VIN: 1FAFP42RX4F210686
----------------------------------------
Speed of Sound Gauge Pod w/ VDO Gauges
Steed 3-point Front Strut Tower Brace
Steed Rear Shock Tower Brace (Welded)
UPR Off-Road X-Pipe + Steeda Cat-Back
SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
kopacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #177
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMachU
If they let me carry a tac light on it while in the holster, I would have one by now. But since I have to put it on after I unholster, it is not on my immediate "to-do" list....the 65 engine seems more pressing.
Why don't you just sell the 65 and invest the money you make into my 69.
streakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #178
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopacko
Yep...unfortunately...my department was the subject of 3 major lawsuits in the late 90s. Because of them, Tennessee has a strict no high speed pursuit policy. You will be brought up on charges if you do. It is a little crazy.
I'm sad to say that California probably isn't to far behind the pursuit thing. We have to many criminals now that it would give them the advantage. Until then...buckle up and hold on..."Get on it Mel!"
Old 02-01-2006, 11:08 PM   #179
kevsrcode

Quote:
They issue you a backup? Or is that your personal?I'm picking up my Glock 27 .40 for off duty tomorrow. Trading in my Sig .40
It's my personal weapon. My department doesn't issue weapons, I've bought them all myself. I like the 27 because it takes the same ammo as the 22 and you can use the same magazines. So if you 22 fails, is lost or taken, you've got the mag in the 27 plus the two mags for the 22 on your belt. Plus you have the same firing platform/trigger pull for both your primary and secondary weapons.
kevsrcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #180
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsrcode
It's my personal weapon. My department doesn't issue weapons, I've bought them all myself. I like the 27 because it takes the same ammo as the 22 and you can use the same magazines. So if you 22 fails, is lost or taken, you've got the mag in the 27 plus the two mags for the 22 on your belt. Plus you have the same firing platform/trigger pull for both your primary and secondary weapons.
So true. Our dept. is thinking about going to Glocks. Not to thrilled about it, but I have thought about the point you just made.Officer safety overall.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #181
streakn
Day by day.

Ttt
Old 02-01-2006, 11:43 PM   #182
MACHrophage

Florida Orange...I have not been in traffic court in years...I am currently in the gun unit of my office...However when I did handle traffic violations the insurance co. often worked with us...they try to get restitution ($$$) from the defendant if he or she was at fault ( like in a stolen auto case) additionally, if the defendent is found criminally liable that makes the civil case against him/her a breeze because the civil court can take "judicial notice" of the criminal courts findings...( in plain english the insurance co. does not have to work very hard to show that the defendant was at fault).

In the situation you describe the insurance co. could have been talking about admissibilty of the officer's arrest report. The general rule is that your only allowed to testify about what you yourself saw, heard, smelt, tasted, felt ( your own personal observations) anything based on another's personal observations is generally considered hearsay and is not admissible. The insurance co. was probably saying that since the officer did not see the incident himself, he could not testify to what was in his report. ( because his report is based on the observations of others).

Hope this was helpful
Old 02-01-2006, 11:53 PM   #183
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHrophage
Florida Orange...I have not been in traffic court in years...I am currently in the gun unit of my office...However when I did handle traffic violations the insurance co. often worked with us...they try to get restitution ($$$) from the defendant if he or she was at fault ( like in a stolen auto case) additionally, if the defendent is found criminally liable that makes the civil case against him/her a breeze because the civil court can take "judicial notice" of the criminal courts findings...( in plain english the insurance co. does not have to work very hard to show that the defendant was at fault).

In the situation you describe the insurance co. could have been talking about admissibilty of the officer's arrest report. The general rule is that your only allowed to testify about what you yourself saw, heard, smelt, tasted, felt ( your own personal observations) anything based on another's personal observations is generally considered hearsay and is not admissible. The insurance co. was probably saying that since the officer did not see the incident himself, he could not testify to what was in his report. ( because his report is based on the observations of others).

Hope this was helpful
You are the man Machrophage.LOL
Old 02-02-2006, 12:00 AM   #184
New Mach
Team Comp Orange Pres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsrcode

I use the exact same set up 22/27, I call it "The System." What you're saying makes sense and I can't believe how many officers don't carry a back-up or at least on that makes sense (I woudnt' be caught dead carring an Airlight, 380's or .22 etc).

However, we have one fellow that carries 2 back-ups. He's ready for the "big-one."

Michael

Last edited by New Mach; 02-02-2006 at 12:48 AM.
New Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #185
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vffr1
I use the exact same set up 22/27, I call it "The System." What you're saying makes sense and I can't believe how many officers don't have a back-up or at least on that makes sense (Airlights, 380's etc).

However, we have one fellow that carries 2 back-ups. he's ready for the "big-one."

Michael
Dang he must hate range days.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #186
IMachU
Super Moderator

We ARE going to Glocks with the tritium sights front/rear....the .40 cal and a few .45 cal, dunno which model numbers. We have already bought them, and the trade-in allowance on the Berettas is around $250 each, sowe are getting the guns cheap. We are just waiting on the policy to get signed off by County Counsel (like the City Atty). But I'm keeping the H&K...much better quality firearm.

2003 DSG 5 speed IUP Born June 25, 2003
K&N Drop-in Filter, Magnapack Catback, MRT black chrome tips, MRT shifter
277.1 HP (321.4) 296.4 (343.8) TQ SAE (with 16% powertrain loss calculated, before mods), Sirius satellite radio, MGW black on black locking Bullitt fuel door, MGW goodies - sold on 7-19-07
IMachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:09 AM   #187
IMachU
Super Moderator

Quote:
Why don't you just sell the 65 and invest the money you make into my 69.
Ummmmm,

no.

277.1 HP (321.4) 296.4 (343.8) TQ SAE (with 16% powertrain loss calculated, before mods), Sirius satellite radio, MGW black on black locking Bullitt fuel door, MGW goodies - sold on 7-19-07
Old 02-02-2006, 12:09 AM   #188
New Mach
Team Comp Orange Pres.

"Dang he must hate range days."

I think it's fair to say, "He's into it".

We have our own 10 lane indoor range that's at the Dept. Free ammo and it's open until at 12 midnight 7 days a week. Pretty nice set-up. A good friend of mine is going to lateral, the range was the deciding factor.

Michael

Last edited by New Mach; 02-02-2006 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:13 AM   #189
mlv289

This is a great thread. I have a question regarding when a DUI/wreckless driving is witnessed. I had all kinds of thoughts run through my head the other night on my way home when I saw some jack*** swerving all over the road, coming into other peoples lanes, etc. I don't know if the driver was drunk, or just some punk trying to show off to his friend or girlfriend (it was ricer afterall, Celica). It almost seem to exagerated to be drunk, but I am no professional... Anyway, is there anything that can be done besides calling it in? It took a little over 8 minutes for a response time, which is good I guess, as it was out in "rural" area, but yet it is a well traveled road, and he made at least 15 cars that I counted have to evasive action to avoid a wreck. I realize that any forceful action taken by a civilian driver could amount to more damage and/or casualities, but if there was an opening, and other drivers were now keeping distance, and I was in my beater......could I do anything and have any legal grounds? Afterall, the driver is endangering my life, as well as others....I don't know, maybe a stupid question but I really wanted to run him off the road and then beat him down for being an idiot driver, or a drunk driver, whatever the case was. Or at least block him somehow...
mlv289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:18 AM   #190
MACHrophage

I have a .40 cal Glock as my personal gun...we can get concealled carry permits due to our line of work, but I don't see the need to walk around "packin" considering I have lived my whole life w/o doing so.

I love that gun it is the perfect mix of power and control. One of the things I like best about the gun is how easy it is to breakdown clean and put back together. My friend has an H & K and his is a pain in the *** to clean after we go to the range.

I have heard people complain about the glocks due to the fact that they are not all metal.. but I have never had a problem and it rarely if ever jams, so I feel like it is a pretty reliable gun.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #191
MACHrophage

mlv289...I would strongly advise against taking any action on your own...let professionals handle the situation. There are plenty of homocides & shootings due to road rage incidents. I see them all the time. The person driving that car is behaving erratically and you have no idea what they are capable of or if they have a weapon.

Bottomline, call it in and leave it to the police.

There was a case that a co-worker just handled where a young man cut off another guy as they were driving...the went back and forth exchanging expletives and eventually the one guy forced the other to pull over. Long story short one guy took out a gun and shot the other several times. Luckily no one was fatally wounded.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #192
IMachU
Super Moderator

MLV289 - The best thing to do is follow at a SAFE distance and call it in. While on the phone with the Highway Patrol dispatcher, describe exactly what the vehicle is doing - like swerving, driving too slow/fast, as the driver does it. That will help with the officer's investigation, and the 911 tape will be called in as evidence.

As tempting as it would be to run someone off the road, put a beat down on 'em, box them in, etc., please do not attempt to do anything like that. First, you are putting yourself and, more importantly, your Mach, in a position of danger. You have no idea if the guy is drunk, or worse, high. Does he/she have a gun in the car? Is it someone weaving because they are having a fight with their significant other? Those are questions you can't answer. The best thing to do is be the best witness you can be. Don't wreck the Mach, for goodness sake!! Looking past my humor, I hope I have answered your question.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:31 AM   #193
mlv289

Thanks guys. and BTW, notice in my original post, one of the main items in the scenario was "I am in my beater"!!! Does that make it a little better!?!
mlv289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:34 AM   #194
IMachU
Super Moderator

hahahaha - I read right past the beater part! Much better!!

Old 02-02-2006, 12:43 AM   #195
New Mach
Team Comp Orange Pres.

In a nut shell, good witnesses help win court cases, so it's best to remian a witness, not a victim or suspect.

Michael
Old 02-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #196
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv289
This is a great thread. I have a question regarding when a DUI/wreckless driving is witnessed. I had all kinds of thoughts run through my head the other night on my way home when I saw some jack*** swerving all over the road, coming into other peoples lanes, etc. I don't know if the driver was drunk, or just some punk trying to show off to his friend or girlfriend (it was ricer afterall, Celica). It almost seem to exagerated to be drunk, but I am no professional... Anyway, is there anything that can be done besides calling it in? It took a little over 8 minutes for a response time, which is good I guess, as it was out in "rural" area, but yet it is a well traveled road, and he made at least 15 cars that I counted have to evasive action to avoid a wreck. I realize that any forceful action taken by a civilian driver could amount to more damage and/or casualities, but if there was an opening, and other drivers were now keeping distance, and I was in my beater......could I do anything and have any legal grounds? Afterall, the driver is endangering my life, as well as others....I don't know, maybe a stupid question but I really wanted to run him off the road and then beat him down for being an idiot driver, or a drunk driver, whatever the case was. Or at least block him somehow...
To add to Machrophage and ImachU. You could be held liable if any action is taken on your part, in reference to your "running him off the road" I'm sure you were joking, but I've seen it before. the good samaritan ends up getting the shaft because he "didn't want anyone to get hurt".Now adays, at least in Orange County, you are no longer directed to the highway patrol if you call 911 on your cell phone. They can find out where you are by longitude and latitude and it is directed to the nearest PD agency. Then that's where we get to play.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:49 AM   #197
New Mach
Team Comp Orange Pres.

We call those Suspects.

Michael
Old 02-02-2006, 12:49 AM   #198
streakn
Day by day.