2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Electrical System

Old 11-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
UK_Mach
Shakin' up the UK

Turn Signal Flasher #

Can anyone tell me what the Ford part number is for the Blue flasher unit (5 pins) used when you fit the Cobra rear clusters. ?

Or alternately what Ford I could pull one from.

Cheers, Kevin
SCT Tune by HPP Racing 305.3rwhp 318.9rwtq
MRT Hood Strut kit, IAC Restrictor Plate
MGW Shifter + Orange HandleCobra Tail Lights
Just about all the MGW Trim extras!
--------------------------------------------------
UK_Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Colloggett

Re: Turn Signal Flasher #

I realise this question was asked 18 months ago, but I have collected quite a bit of information in the last three weeks while doing this mod to my Mach which is also in the UK.

The Ford part which is fitted and works is: 5L5T-13350-AA. It is a blue flasher unit. It came in a Motorcraft box with the part number 5L5Z-13350-AA marked on the box. The box was also marked SF-631. The parts guy at the Ford dealer where it was purchased (Metro Ford in Schenectady) claimed that this flasher has replaced both the blue and yellow flashers previously used, ie it will support 2 or 3 bulbs per side. I was somewhat sceptical about this, but tonight I tried it with both the Mach rear light harness and the Cobra one. It does flash at exactly the same speed with both.

The following is what I found by trawling the internet.

At least two web sites say that a F67Z-13350-BA is needed. The key thing about this is that it is blue. The one fitted to the Mach is Yellow. Disturbingly my original yellow one is marked F67B-13350-AA which is only two digits different.

From what I read I think the blue flasher unit was fitted to the 1996 Ford Ranger and the 2004/2005 Ford Escape. I imagine it was fitted to many more vehicles, but these were the ones quoted. I am slightly nervous about the part number because it seems to have two functionally identical predecessors (F4ZB-13350BB and 5L5Z-13350-AA). Some people also refer to it as a SF631 flasher unit. The only absolute is that on these older units, the blue flasher units support two bulbs (what is needed) and the yellow ones support three.

I think that what we are dealing with here is an old design of bi-metallic flasher unit which are load dependent. Modern flasher units are electronic and don't care how many bulbs they're supporting. I think this explains why it was fitted as long ago as 1996. I suspect this was carried over from the previous generation Mustang.

If you can't be sure you've got the right thing then can you go to NAPA and buy an EP27 flasher unit. This is functionally what is needed, but the case is different to the Ford units so it won't clip into position under the dash, but it will work fine. (The blue Ford item has the same mounting features as the yellow one.

I hope this helps someone.

Richard
Colloggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
UK_Mach
Shakin' up the UK

Re: Turn Signal Flasher #

Thanks for the response. I did have a blue flasher unit when I fitted the clusters prior to leraving the states, but the numbers had been file/sanded off !!

I have one of the electronic flashers now that this load independant - the "tick" sound is a bit quiet but works perfectly.

Kevin
SCT Tune by HPP Racing 305.3rwhp 318.9rwtq
MRT Hood Strut kit, IAC Restrictor Plate
MGW Shifter + Orange HandleCobra Tail Lights
Just about all the MGW Trim extras!
--------------------------------------------------
UK_Mach is offline   Reply With Quote