2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 09-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Hartz4

Bilstein B6 rear shocks installation issue

I need some help. I am trying to install Bilstein B6 rear shocks in my 04 Mach 1. I have the correct part number, Bilstein tech support confirmed. The stem is not long enough or the bushings are two thick. Tech supports only suggestion is to compress the shock by raising the rear end and let the weight of the car compress the lower bushing. I did this but it did not help. Does anyone have any suggestions? How I can compress the bushing for installation? How can I get these installed?
Attached Thumbnails
20180906_175652.jpg   20180906_175725.jpg  
Old 09-07-2018, 05:20 AM   #2
j rick kirby

Re: Bilstein B6 rear shocks installation issue

I think you may have the bushings in the wrong order. The cone shaped bushing usually goes on the bottom, faces up and goes thru the hole in the chassis. The other bushing goes on the top. Try that.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
MAD_MACh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartz4 View Post
I need some help. I am trying to install Bilstein B6 rear shocks in my 04 Mach 1. I have the correct part number, Bilstein tech support confirmed. The stem is not long enough or the bushings are two thick. Tech supports only suggestion is to compress the shock by raising the rear end and let the weight of the car compress the lower bushing. I did this but it did not help. Does anyone have any suggestions? How I can compress the bushing for installation? How can I get these installed?
Have you compared them to what your taking out? If the stud is the same length then the bushings are probably off. If the bushings are the problem you should be able to get replacements at auto parts store. If the stud is short then your pretty much SOL.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:06 AM   #4
Mattstang04

I had a similar problem when I installed my Tokico D-Specs. This may or may not work for you but I lucked out. Like tech line said, jack up the axle on one side, all the way up. Fully compressing the shock upward. Then I crawled into the rear trunk thru the rear seats. I had the nut for the top of the shock already inside the socket that fit it. Used my body weight on top of the socket and twisted slowly but firmly until it caught some threads but be careful not to cross thread. Once I got enough twists that the nut would hold on by itself, I let the ratchet do the rest of the work. Good luck with it.

Repeat for other side.
Mattstang04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Tommy Z

Is there a bump stop under the boot? If so, make sure it's pushed/seated all the way down on the shaft.

2003 Torch Red Mach 1
★ Rebuilt 3650 & MGW
★ Spec 2 & Fidanza flywheel
★ H&R Super Sports & Maximum Motorsports struts/shocks
★ Maximum Motorsports rear lowers, MM panhard, MM caster camber plates
★ Mosers + ARPs
★ Brembo slotted rotors, braided lines
★ Catless X and SLP LM2s
★ 18X9/10.5 - Toyo R888R
Tommy Z is offline   Reply With Quote