2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 01-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
slomach03

More issues 2.0

Every month it’s a new issue with this car. I mentioned in a previous post that my auto was shifting super hard. It went away a couple days ago and now it’s fine. However this morning my car started up and is making a super loud clicking noise from the engine bay and the whole car is shaking. Halfway down the road I heard a pop and a rattle and the clicking went away. Which is super concerning. However the shaking is still there and it’s rough. I mentioned in one of my past posts that i kept getting water in my COP covers which in turn was clogging my COPs. It just rained hard several times here so I’m going to crack open the COP covers and see if there’s water in there again. I sealed everything really well but maybe not good enough. If anyone has suggestion please let me know. Thanks.
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
slomach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
slomach03

Re: More issues 2.0

Update:
Since my regular shop is closed on the weekends I went ahead and started opening stuff up. The car is still shaking very hard and making a loud clicking noise and losing power. Well looks like I have a one of a kind issue. Or rather multiple issues. I swear my rear most spark plug wells on both sides are full to the top with water. It’s colorless and oderless so I’m assuming it’s water and it just rained. Also one of my COPs blew up. It actually blew up. The boot exploded and disintegrated and the wire coil wrapped itself around the head of the COP and stretched out. I cleaned all the water out. Cleaned off all the COPs and put the OEM ones in. Pulled the plugs and cleaned them and got all the exploded plastic out. Car is running worse now after all that. I’ve never seen or heard of an issue like this before. I have no idea how the car is taking in water but it’s literal ounces. It’s not being driven until it goes to the shop on Monday but I’m prepared to hear I have a bunch of blow parts. Not many cars can take that kind of abuse. I would never buy one of these cars ever again. Even if this one was a lemon.
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
Old 01-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
69GT

Is the drain on the shaker plugged?
69GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomach03 View Post
If anyone has suggestion please let me know.
As mentioned, make sure your drain lines for the shaker aren't obstructed. Pull them off the shaker and blow through them. There should be no resistance if they're clear. If theyre not plugged up, then buy new coil cover gaskets and run a small bead of rtv at the back where the harness goes through them.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

the noises you described along with an exploded coil pack sounds like you launched a spark plug. Are you sure that plug is threading in correctly on that cylinder? I feel like you launched a plug, killed the coil pack and its probably not seated correctly.

Definitely check the shaker drains and seal to the hood. if you havent already Id probably buy new coil cover gaskets and replace them as well.

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
slomach03

Update 2:
Due to the water damage the spark plug pulled out but remained in the partly seated but it did ruin the threads. They’re installing a helical coil now. They can’t figure out where the water is coming from. It’s definitly rain water and not any kind of other fluid. They’re putting new coil cover gaskets on and sealing everything back up along with new plugs and COPs. We’re also going to do an under hood “blanket/tarp” that will sit underneath the shaker and cover the entire engine bay to the back of the firewall to prevent any kind of further issue in the future. I do appreciate everyone’s input and the expertise. Thank you.
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
Old 01-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

I don’t drive mine in the rain anymore, but I know every time I wash it, it has water drips sitting on top of the valve covers. I can see that water has been on the valve covers frequently over the years as the bolts closer to the shaker, as well as the aluminum valve cover surrounding the bolts, have a more weathered look compared to other areas in the engine bay. I think the rubber shaker seal doesn’t completely seal off water. Mine sags a bit compared to some I’ve seen with much lower miles. I should have bought a new seal when I first bought my Mach. I remember seeing them on the fordparts website back then.

One thing you could do is make sure your shaker grommets/isolators are in good shape. Mine were destroyed and my shaker used to clunk on many bumps I would hit on the road. Also, the shaker was a lot lower and that rubber seal didn’t even touch any of the underside of the hood. It was much better when I replaced the isolators. The shaker doesn’t clunk on bumps and there’s only a few drips on the valve covers after a wash and easy to wipe off. It probably wouldn’t leak at all with a new rubber seal. Maybe you can find a new one on eBay.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:06 AM   #8
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

also make sure that on the coil pack harness there should be a big round rubber "plug" where the harness goes under the coil covers. Make sure its there on both sides and that its being positioned properly in the opening of the coil cover and valve cover.

Lastly, the water didnt have anything to do with the plug backing out, thats an issue with a lot of mod motors. The plugs need to be properly tightened and checked from to time or they can back out. The only real warning you get is what sounds like an exhaust leak, then a rattle and its usually too late

Old 01-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
also make sure that on the coil pack harness there should be a big round rubber "plug" where the harness goes under the coil covers.

L
Every time this happened to me, it was that rubber grommet. For a long time, I never saw it. When I drove mine daily, after I changed plugs, I would put a little black RTV around it, over time that grommet develops a 'memory' and is shaped to the hole, if you are not putting it back int the right spot then you will have a gap.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #10
slomach03

You’re totally right about the water not being the main issue, the plugs were badly seated. I got lucky and didn’t get any valve damage. The wire plugs were in the right spot and now everything is resealed well. My mechanic said the car will still shake a bit now and again until the water residue is fully gone. Aside from the occasional shake, it’s running fine. He said the shake should go away quickly and he will check it again if it doesn’t. Again, I really appreciate everyone’s feedback.
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
Old 01-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #11
RLWPA

I agree on the grommets; when I changed plugs last winter the left and right holes at the firewall had rust in them...was not too sure what to make of it but then saw discussions on this site about that issue and made sure that the grommets were oriented correctly to coil cover and valve cover (they are shaped to fit a certain way), checked shaker seal and drain holes. Going to take it one more step after these posts and replace coil cover gaskets, recheck grommets and add RTV.
Thanks.
RLWPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #12
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

the best thing you can do to finish "drying" it out is just to go on a nice long cruise so its running at full temp for a bit if possible given your location

Old 01-10-2018, 09:37 PM   #13
slomach03

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
the best thing you can do to finish "drying" it out is just to go on a nice long cruise so its running at full temp for a bit if possible given your location
Great idea. There’s a shooting range about 30 minutes from me. I think that will be a good drive for it to dry out. Thanks.
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
Old 01-15-2018, 02:53 AM   #14
slomach03

Took the care for a 1hr round trip drive and it drove great. Drove great for the next couple days until today when it started missing at idle and can’t accelerate at all, it just flatlines and sits there. So it’s going back to the shop for the second time this year to get check again. Prolly gonna try yet another set of plugs and packs.
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
Old 01-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #15
slomach03

First of all sorry for resurrecting this poor thread. I’m consistently having an issue where the car bogs when the traction control is off. When it’s on there’s no apparent issues. Is it possible my T/C system has an issue? Thanks.
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
Old 01-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #16
01yellerCobra

I didn't read the whole thread, but I caught your post about it bogging. My old Expedition would do something similar. It would be fine, then randomly have no power. Like I would floor it and it would barely crawl. Turned out the MAF sensor was bad. The next time it acts up try unplugging the MAF. You'll get a code, but if the car straightens out the sensor might be going out.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:21 PM   #17
slomach03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yellerCobra View Post
I didn't read the whole thread, but I caught your post about it bogging. My old Expedition would do something similar. It would be fine, then randomly have no power. Like I would floor it and it would barely crawl. Turned out the MAF sensor was bad. The next time it acts up try unplugging the MAF. You'll get a code, but if the car straightens out the sensor might be going out.

That’s exactly what it’s doing!! Any ideas on where to get an OEM MAF? Or does just ford have them?
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
Old 01-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #18
01yellerCobra

I think you can get them from a parts store. I've never ordered a stock MAF to be honest. The bad MAF was diagnosed under warranty.

2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:02 AM   #19
slomach03

I’ll try that out. I saw some at Rock Auto so I’ll probably order from them. Thanks for the idea
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
Old 01-22-2018, 07:06 AM   #20
311-420
Can't be bridled

I've got a stock sensor. Pm me if interested.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #21
slomach03

Haven’t been able to update in a few, life has been busy. Car is running well for the most part. I’m going to be replacing the MAF sensor shortly. My most current issue is when I’m in Drive and I let up off the brake at the stop, the car will barely inch forward whereas before it was a lot more ready to go. It also feels slower to accelerate in general and less willing to drop a gear when needed. I’ve been experimenting with turning off OD and that definitly helps.
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
Old 02-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #22
rich1
AUTOMACHTIC

Before you change the MAF sensor try cleaning it with a special cleaner for them . This will either confirm or deny your MAF.
The main way water gets into the engine is the shaker to hood seal. Cover the entire motor up in news paper or paper towels then shut the hood and pour a small bucket of water on the hood. Then open the hood and check for wet spots.
UPGRADES...Tokico Illuminas Borla SS Catback , Steeda Underdrives , Strut Brace , HPM Lower K Brace , L /C Arms , U /C Arms , HPM PanHard Bar, K&N FRPK 2, GOODYEAR GT1 , MRT- H-Pipe , JLT VaporTraps , SLP-12'" Tips! , FRPP Shorty 1 5/8 Headers , Brembo D/S & PBR D/S Rotors ,FRPP Alum.DS ,Roys 3/8 Spacer , SVT Focus 255 pump SCTsw Chip PRO-DYNOjet NA 300.01hp /315tq (Auto) ,Innovate W/B ,Compucar Wet Kit (90jet) + Heater and E Gauge * 360 hp/385tq 12.5 -1/4 @112
rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote