2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Fluid Systems (coolant, oil, fuel)

Old 05-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

Changing PS Fluid Question?

I'm going to change my power steering fluid by removing the return line from the reservoir and running it into a waste container. I'll pump new fluid through the system by adding it to to the PS reservoir as needed , jacking the front end up and turning the wheels stop to stop with the car OFF. I'll do this until the fresh fluid has worked its way through the system and runs into the waste container.

Many people seem hell-bent on cycling the pump either by cranking the engine or by removing the belt and spinning it manually or via air ratchet. Am I missing something here, won't pumping the fluid by turning the wheels achieve the same results with out the fuss of removing the belt or danger of running the pump dry by not being able to add fluid quickly enough?

I have a problem every time I pull up to some ricer a strange buzzing noise comes from behind me, any clue what it could be?
Uloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
not a gt

Re: Changing PS Fluid Question?

Man you sure do alot more than I did, I took a turkey baster, emptied the res, filled it up and done.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
Man you sure do alot more than I did, I took a turkey baster, emptied the res, filled it up and done.
And you did more than me. I just used a piece of vacuum hose and siphoned it out of the reservoir.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

Yea, well the fluid is old so I want it all out, not just whats in the reservoir. Though that is not a bad method at all if you do it regularly, like every oil change or yearly.

I have a problem every time I pull up to some ricer a strange buzzing noise comes from behind me, any clue what it could be?
Old 05-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
not a gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uloset View Post
Yea, well the fluid is old so I want it all out, not just whats in the reservoir. Though that is not a bad method at all if you do it regularly, like every oil change or yearly.
You have a point, I am a fluid changing freak..hell just this year have done rear twice, tranny twice , etc..good luck man !!
If you have the car off and turn the wheel, will fluid come out?? I am not trying to be a wiseass, figured the power part would only be with the car running.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
TKat13
Mach-T

I've only changed mine when I had to swap out the high pressure line, if that had not happened I am sure it would still be the original fluid. Come to think about it, this is the only time any of my cars had the power steering fluid changed, even the 100k plus mile cars. Now you have me thinking...
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
USMCWeatherMan

I changed a good amount a couple of years ago when the steering rack went and i had to replace.

Once I had everything reconnected, I filled the reservoir up, cranked the engine for a second to let the pump run and pull in some fluid then shot it off. Refilled reservior, repeated.

Then just ran the engine turning the steering wheel every so often, first with front end up, then with tires on the ground. Checked level over the next couple of days and added a little fluid one time to get it up to the line.
USMCWeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:54 AM   #8
01yellerCobra

I think with just turning the wheels you'll only pump out what's in the rack. You need to spin the pump to move the fluid through the whole system. One way might be what I heard a guy do with an auto trans. He sucked out a couple quarts and added new fluid. He'd drive a couple days then do it again. He kept doing it until the fluid on the stick was red. It'll take a while, but no dealing with having to burp the system. Just suck what's in the reservoir out and replace it. I can't imagine it would take to much.
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

I would think the pump would need to be spinning to properly cycle the old fluid out as new fluid is added. It takes mercon v, not power steering fluid.
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #10
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
I've only changed mine when I had to swap out the high pressure line, if that had not happened I am sure it would still be the original fluid. Come to think about it, this is the only time any of my cars had the power steering fluid changed, even the 100k plus mile cars. Now you have me thinking...
Yea to be honest I've never really changed it on cars either. The car doesn't have many miles but the fluid still is 12 years old. On the other hand my Cougar is 19 and on original fluid, the PS system works fine and the pump is quiet as a church mouse. It is just the Mach tends to get better treatment than the rest.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #11
mach18604

Mine has been low since I got the car a few years ago.. Thanks for the reminder !
Old 05-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

I was just reading about how to do this. It's got me in a pucker. I don't want to run the pump either because it says don't run it dry or let air in the system. So...if I have my wife in the car while I point the return to the bucket and add fluid to the reservior, it should be fine right? She can turn lock to lock while I add and check the bucket for new fluid I think..?
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #13
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uloset View Post
I'm going to change my power steering fluid by removing the return line from the reservoir and running it into a waste container. I'll pump new fluid through the system by adding it to to the PS reservoir as needed , jacking the front end up and turning the wheels stop to stop with the car OFF. I'll do this until the fresh fluid has worked its way through the system and runs into the waste container.

Many people seem hell-bent on cycling the pump either by cranking the engine or by removing the belt and spinning it manually or via air ratchet. Am I missing something here, won't pumping the fluid by turning the wheels achieve the same results with out the fuss of removing the belt or danger of running the pump dry by not being able to add fluid quickly enough?
I do mine by starting the car. Goes really fast so be ready with a jug of ATF.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #14
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruza View Post
I was just reading about how to do this. It's got me in a pucker. I don't want to run the pump either because it says don't run it dry or let air in the system. So...if I have my wife in the car while I point the return to the bucket and add fluid to the reservior, it should be fine right? She can turn lock to lock while I add and check the bucket for new fluid I think..?
It should pump out a good amount of fluid. To make it easier you can use a 3/8" barb fitting to attach some clear hose to the return line and run that to a bucket. The tubing being clear will let you see the color change when the new fluid has worked its way through the system and the extra length will help to direct it into a waste container.

Let me see if I can find a video on youtube after all a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #15
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

This is a video of a 99 Solara

Toyota Power Steering Fluid Change

Now this is obviously a different car and this just shows the stop to stop method, but the way he plumbs the tubing is what I'm talking about. Again like mentioned above you can also run the PS pump if you remove the belt or by cranking the engine.

Hint, an easy way to crank the engine without it running is by pushing the the gas pedal all the way to the floor and turning the key. People never seem to believe me on this one so please go out and try it sometime it really works. I use this if the car has been sitting for awhile to build some oil pressure before letting it roar to life.

Here is another useful tutorial with picks for an 03 3.8 Mustang

Power Steering Flush (Pictures!)