2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 12-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
noodle9400

Possible to barely raise the car....?

I recently lowered my mach with AM's SR Performance Lowering Springs and Koni STR.t's. Car looks absolutely phenomenal being lowered. However, I seem to scrap my prochamber in various areas that I go frequently. Is there any way to raise the car like a little bit lol? Its almost kinda redundant I know but I'm preparing to put on those allflow non-cats and I would hate to constantly keep scraping everywhere I go... Also is with those non-cat add-ons, do they make any that are smaller, similar to those cats on our stock mid-pipes. Would be nice to have them up near the headers.
noodle9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
01yellerCobra

Get some poly isolators. They're a little thicker than the stock isos.
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Re: Possible to barely raise the car....?

I'm at stock height and my midpipe scrapes on speed bumps. I wanna lower mine a little (around an inch), but I don't see how people get around the way peeps have their cars lowered these days.

The Steeda x-2 ball joints come with a 1/2" spacer to put under the spring to get it to the height once you have the newe ball joints in. You could go to a machine shop and see if they could make you some spacers for your springs to sit on. Like 1/2" or 3/4" ones, etc. I think that would work in the back, but I'm not sure about that.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
noodle9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yellerCobra View Post
Get some poly isolators. They're a little thicker than the stock isos.
I actually did buy some for the back since the rears were shot. Haven't installed them yet. But its been too freaken cold and I have no garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruza View Post
I'm at stock height and my midpipe scrapes on speed bumps. I wanna lower mine a little (around an inch), but I don't see how people get around the way peeps have their cars lowered these days.

The Steeda x-2 ball joints come with a 1/2" spacer to put under the spring to get it to the height once you have the newe ball joints in. You could go to a machine shop and see if they could make you some spacers for your springs to sit on. Like 1/2" or 3/4" ones, etc. I think that would work in the back, but I'm not sure about that.
I did get those ball joints...i'll have to install those iso's I bought for the rear, see how it sits, than install those spacers that came with the ball joints if its not too noticeable. Thanks for the advice!!
Old 12-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
Con's Mach1

I bought a set of 'Granittelli? Adjustable Lower Control Arms' from Summit Racing. Helped my '03 GT from hitting after I lowered it. Also, get to adjust the rear where I want it. I like a little rake from the rear anyway.
Con's Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #6
noodle9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con's Mach1 View Post
I bought a set of 'Granittelli? Adjustable Lower Control Arms' from Summit Racing. Helped my '03 GT from hitting after I lowered it. Also, get to adjust the rear where I want it. I like a little rake from the rear anyway.
adjustable lower control arms? Interesting... That I will keep in mind. Gonna try doing the spacers and isos first. Just need a little clearance. Not sure how much but im not going back to stock height just to avoid a speed bump at work.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
noodle9400

So I finally installed the rear ISOs that I had bought. The height in the back literally stayed the same if not closed a hair in rise. The issue i had before and after though, is I have a difference in height on the rear driver side versus the rear passenger side, like close to a half a finger difference...? any ideas?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
not a gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle9400 View Post
So I finally installed the rear ISOs that I had bought. The height in the back literally stayed the same if not closed a hair in rise. The issue i had before and after though, is I have a difference in height on the rear driver side versus the rear passenger side, like close to a half a finger difference...? any ideas?
How long since theybeen in, has it settled yet?
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle9400 View Post
Spring direction. What direction is the end of the spring on the lower control arm facing for the drivers side and the passengers side. And is it towards the engine or rear bumper?

Should be parallel to the rear axle. You can clock them differently to adjust height as well.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
noodle9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
How long since theybeen in, has it settled yet?
They have long since settled. I had installed them in September. Noticed the cambers were off for some reason. So I had it check and verified that I do need CC plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
Spring direction. What direction is the end of the spring on the lower control arm facing for the drivers side and the passengers side. And is it towards the engine or rear bumper?

Should be parallel to the rear axle. You can clock them differently to adjust height as well.
I have no idea.. I tried to mimic the old springs and they were facing. When I have time and its warm out and I'm not sick, I'll take a fiddle around with it. As of now my front suspension is taking precedence over the rear.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #11
mach1z

Now it's time to get the coil overs you always wanted! Sell those lowering springs
Seriously, the only way to raise in the back is adjustable lower control arms. For the front, you'd need some aluminum shims like steeda sells with their springs I believe, or their ball joints.
I/E, 4:10's, tune
mach1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #12
noodle9400

Lol. I'd love to get some coil overs. They are just not in my budget right now. They probably would be if I wasn't spending the rest of the money constantly trying to fix a shaky and slightly tilted (side ways, not the normal up and down) steering wheel.
I do have those shims that came with my x2 ball joints. I think if I get poly ISOs for the front, already did the back, either the camber bolts from AM or CC plates to fix my cambers, that should give me just enough rise in the height I need. The stock front ISOs weren't bad at all so I didn't replace them. But I know the polys are stiffer and will give that little extra. And if I need to I can add the shims. I just dont want to keep spending money getting alignments, they add up lol.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #13
Nekasrof
Hillclimb Extraodinaire

I'd get those AM springs off there if i were you. They're actually lighter than the factory springs by 75lb.

Factory spring rate - 600lb
AM spring rate - 525lb
That's a 12.5% decrease in spring rate and you're asking for issues of scraping and/or hitting the ground while driving.

Motor + Procharger + driver = Baddest hillclimbing Mach 1 in the country
Mustang dyno: 538hp/481tq @ 14lbs/19deg timing
DynoJet comparison: 600hp/539tq

Looking for more hillclimbers!
Nekasrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #14
noodle9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekasrof View Post
I'd get those AM springs off there if i were you. They're actually lighter than the factory springs by 75lb.

Factory spring rate - 600lb
AM spring rate - 525lb
That's a 12.5% decrease in spring rate and you're asking for issues of scraping and/or hitting the ground while driving.
Yea my mid bottoms out on a lot of speed bumps. And one time I was driving and the road dipped where the tires go. My mid pipe scraped for like 10-15 ft.
But depending on funds this summer I'm probably gonna sell these springs maybe go with others with a better rate. We'll see though.