2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 02-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #126
TKat13
Mach-T

Re: TKat13's Mach1 Build Log

Now, I am going back and forth with the Shifter install and the down pipe install, both are causing me problems and in varying stages of waiting on parts, when I get stuck on one, I go back to the other. Right now, I am waiting for parts on the down pipe so I guess the next few days I hope to finish the shifter install. The alignment of the shifter with the cable attached is a pain.

I am attempting to install the shifter without trimming the lever, most people trim the lever so it will not hit the radio/bezel but I set a challenge not to do so.

Here is a preview of my shifter plate that I am making:

As far as the down pipe, the problem here goes back to my huge radiator, if I had the stock Mach radiator everything would fit just fine. So this is not an On3 issue, rather my self created problem. sheesh.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #127
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
Very nice and clean...any plan to wrinkle finish black the C & L pipe?
That is the one thing that I keep trying to decide, is it too much black? I mainly painted the pipe because I did not like the polished tube. I am 50/50 on the C&L, I might plastidip it to see if it is too much black, if not then I can peel it off and shoot it with the wrinkle finish.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 02-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #128
JRCEngineering

I look forward to these updates. Thanks!
K&N CAI, Magna flow Cat back, BBK X Pipe, BBK Long tubes, UPR K Member, UPR Coil Overs, MMR Intake Spacer, Under drive Alt Pully, FR 4.30s, FR Aluminum Drive Shaft, Strange SS Street Axles, LPW Ultimate 8.8 Cover, Lowered, Center Line Telstars, Raptor Shift Light, 100 Shot.

1/4 Mile - 12.5
JRCEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #129
TKat13
Mach-T

Here is the shifter install.

Had some scrap sheet metal from an old electrical enclosure, ground off the galvanized plating and then did the welding, bad stuff if you don't.

I traced out the shape from the stock tunnel ring and then I cut two slits down the side and one at the bottom, I mounted in the car and placed the shifter in between the long slits, measured the distance/angle to set the depth.

I then cut the two sides out and once I set the depth from the measurement, I tack welded the sides on.

Back view, I then cut out a piece of metal to fit in this area.

Welded in the rear.

Sides:
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 02-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #130
TKat13
Mach-T

Quick coat of caliper black paint, love this stuff, inexpensive and resists all kinds of solvents. Bad lighting...

Bottom side with shifter mounted.

Top side.

Mounted in the car, you will notice that I had to remove a good amount of the lower steel support, the dremel came in handy as my air tools were to bulky to get in there. The trimming was required to make clearance for the cable.

The goal was to NOT cut/trim the handle and still allow first gear not to hit the rear of the bezel. Goal was met, but it is very close. However, the reverse light switch required notching of the trim plate, I will address this later.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP

Last edited by TKat13; 02-28-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 AM   #131
TKat13
Mach-T

This is first gear position.

Some google animation:

Next on the list is the wiring and then forming some abs plastic to cover up the notch. Vacuum forming will be fun, last time I did it was 20 years ago. I am considering making a gauge pod for a trans temp gauge to cover up the hole. This will be the last thing I do.

Next on the list is to wrap the wires and hoses that are close to the down pipe. I wrapped them with this DEI wrap and then taped up the wrap with DEI adhesive wrap. Same solution I did for the fan wiring.

Power and Ground cable as well as the power steering line wrapped.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 AM   #132
TKat13
Mach-T

Meant to add that if you purchase the shifter, the reverse light switch is sold separately. Only 12 bucks.

The other detail I left out was the seal I used between the shifter plate and trans tunnel, I used a 3M product called Mastic, it stays soft is thick and sticky. It is used for wrapping power lines as it permanently sticks to itself but has many other great uses. HomeDepot or Lowes sales it. Neat stuff.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 02-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #133
not a gt

Very nice TKat, the animation was kinda sexual, but that shifter looks cool in there lol!!
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #134
TKat13
Mach-T

My large radiator as mentioned above proved to be a challenge as the fan motor is in the way of the down pipe. I even moved the wiring harness in front of the radiator, this allowed about an inch of additional clearance but still not enough. When I did the test fit, it was without the radiator, so missing this step proved to be a mistake. Again, to be clear, not an On3 fitment issue, it was all on me! I can see how the stock setup would fit just fine.

What I ended up doing was purchasing a v-band clamp+band kit from Vibrant Performance. I think these are some of the best v-bands around and made in the USA. I had HPP weld up a 2 inch spacer and put the v-bands on each end. I was hoping this would do the trick and it did. At a later point I may have a new down pipe done, but I am sure I will wait until I upgrade the turbo down the road.

Here is the 2" spacer.

Also in the picture is the oil feed line, this is now complete and the line is wrapped in the DEI heat shield as well. I kept is as far away from the hot side as possible. Here is the lower connection point for the oil feed.

Tons of DEI wrap and shields are being used, forgot to put these in the budget.

Back to the Hotside, by adding the 2" spacer, it wrapped the down pipe curve around the fan motor but it also extended pipe to where the exhaust attaches. Very minor cutting on the exhaust pipe was required, but I forgot to snap a picture. It was an angle cut, about an inch was removed on the inside side. I then was able to attach the exhaust as the two pipes butted up nicely. I used the supply clamps and a good amount of copper RTV.

I did this at both locations.

View looking to the back of the car.

I am using the trans jack as a second hand, very handy. I have used it much more for that purpose than an actual trans jack! I will be welding on an exhaust hanger just before the clamp.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 02-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #135
TKat13
Mach-T

Received the stiffer waste gate springs from On3 last week, I have the waste gates setup with a 13psi and 2psi spring. After the tuning is complete I will let everyone know if this was a good call or not. No idea where to start, however putting springs in the waste gate by yourself is a PITA. I did one, and for the second one a friend stopped by so I put him to work.

Below is a pic of one of the waste gates, it was extremely close the pulley on the AC Compressor, it did not touch but you would be lucky to get a piece of paper between them. My compressor is not the factory unit, so I am not sure if mine is slightly different. At any case, I added a spacer where the waste gate connects, this gave me enough space. 1/2" is all that was needed.

Longer bolts will be needed, Lowes were the source:

Wastegate:

Mounting the remote oil filter.
Used thread sealant on the connections as I did on the adapter on the block. I was extremely careful not to get it anywhere but on the threads. These are known to leak so I am taking precautions to prevent this. If this leaks, I will change to different connections/hose types. Anyone doing this in the future, the adapter at the block, instructions say to point towards the back of the car, I highly recommend a slight downward angle to clear the k-member. It was to late to change mine, so a creative route was needed.

I decided to use the bolts from the transmission, they protrude enough to put a nut on there and as luck would have it, I had the right size nuts! I cut a mounting plate out of the same steel I used on the shifter plate, drilled the holes and mounted.

This mounts the filter higher than the bottom of the oil pan by about 1-2 inches.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 02-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #136
TKat13
Mach-T

Oil Drain for the turbo.

This has to be one of the most expensive hoses I have made, lol. This is a -10AN Starlite hose with a straight on one side and a 90 degree on the other side, what makes this so expensive is I purchased a 45 degree and later realized I needed a 90... sheesh! $25.00 fittings are tough to swallow when you make a mistake.

I figure I would show how these hoses are built, it is the same hose type that I used on the power steering line and will be the same hose used on the transmission cooler and fuel lines, just all different sizes for the application of course.

I purchased the vise clamps, worth every penny, these made the job a piece of cake, the -10AN size took much more strength at the end and not sure how one would do it without the clamp.

The first step is to feed the line into the fitting, you will see the end of the hose where it butts up against where the threads start. You twist the end on counter-clockwise.

I then used motor oil to lubricate the tubing and connector. You can buy 'assembly lube' but normal synthetic oil does the trick.

This is assembled, the prior pictures were of the 90 degree end, this is the straight end.

I put one end on, then put it on the car and mark with a silver sharpie where to cut the hose, this is what I use to cut the hose.

Here is the finished Turbo Oil Drain line:

The rubber gloves saves my skin from the fiberglass of the exhaust wrap where I was working.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 03-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #137
TKat13
Mach-T

To install the oil drain line I had to grind some of the hex on the nut, this was needed to clear the turbo flange. I also had to buy a 1" wrench, cut and shave it to fit so now I have a custom tool.

This is the installed shot, hard to see:

Lower connection to the oil pan, side under the AC compressor.

The line has a constant downward flow, could not have gotten the line any shorter. Perfect fit. The pictures make is look closer to the pulleys that it really is.

Doing the last of the oil connections, I finally was able to put oil in the motor, HPP recommended Valvoline VR-1 SAE 50 for break-in, after 500 or so miles I will switch to Amsoil.

I Finally completed the coolant lines, it took me several attempts of cutting, installing and re-cutting the radiator hoses to properly align everything. Ended up pretty good. I have pictures, but it is really hard to make out with the mess of everything down there. The On3 piping came in real handy and made the install much easier. I also installed a 160 degree thermostat and drilled 3 holes in it.

Of course, I cut my thumb doing this and ended the night with a throbbing thumb. I had a brain dead moment, held the thermostat while drilling the holes, drill bit grabbed it and spun the thermostat into my thumb... instantly I realized how dumb that was. lol
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #138
TKat13
Mach-T

Mounting the steering cooler was pretty simple, I pulled the stock brackets off of the stock cooler line and repurposed them. The small bracket I put a 90 degree bend and then ground down the lip. Used this to mount under the bumper support.

Only used the lower loop.

I then took the longer bracket and did another 90 degree bend, and used this on the side of the radiator support/frame rail.

The overall fit is pretty good and it is sturdy.

Now came time to install the overfill for the radiator, the turbo is in the way of the factory brace, so I repurposed this brace and found a new home for the bottom end. I added two 90 degree bends plus bent the end of the bar to fit in the planned mount.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #139
TKat13
Mach-T

Here is the next bend:

I did not take any factory bends out, so the bar has some strange bends, but it works well. Here is the final rod, quick coat of paint.

Installed but hard to see, have to look close, in this picture you can also see the radiator hoses if you look closely. This marks the end of the coolant side of the install and ready to add the coolant.

Before I installed the over flow, I did install the Wide-band O2 sensor for the AEM gauge.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 03-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #140
ModMike
Modular Maniac

**** man, you have a lot of custom work going into this build. It looks awesome. Should be a mean ***** when you're done with it. Great build thread too! I know first hand how difficult it can be to take the extra time documenting something like this.
ModMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #141
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMike View Post
**** man, you have a lot of custom work going into this build. It looks awesome. Should be a mean ***** when you're done with it. Great build thread too! I know first hand how difficult it can be to take the extra time documenting something like this.
Thanks! Certainly many of the changes were unknown and unchartered areas for me, which is why this is taking so long plus my work schedule of course. I really jumped in feet first and hoping I did not drown. This is my first build of this magnitude and with each step I have had to take a large amount of time doing research, many forums have helped but with just as much help, there is equal part that there has been a complete lack of anything like this documented with the small details not being mentioned. Documenting it hopefully helps others as well as allowing me a reference to come back to at a later point, which I have already used.

My next big item is to install the transmission cooler, I have very limited options and frankly have not seen anything online yet the is very helpful. I do not want to put it in front of the intercooler or behind the horse. My current opinion is on the side, I prefer the passenger side just to keep everything away from the hot side but there is much less available room there because of the BOV. Still scratching my head on this one. Also, figuring out the best way to have a thermostat controlled fan, I want the thermostat to be triggered based on real fluid temp, not open air temp near the trans cooler, so I am still looking at those options. These details are limited as many just do not discuss it, again, never did an Auto swap in my life. haha

More importantly, I really miss driving the Mach.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 03-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #142
ModMike
Modular Maniac

Have you thought about trying to locate the transmission cooler towards the back of the car? I've seen this done on a couple of cars but I think they may have had the stock fuel tank removed and had a fuel cell in the trunk. Could still be some way to make it work though.
ModMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #143
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMike View Post
Have you thought about trying to locate the transmission cooler towards the back of the car? I've seen this done on a couple of cars but I think they may have had the stock fuel tank removed and had a fuel cell in the trunk. Could still be some way to make it work though.
I crawled around in the back to have a look, but you are correct, with the stock tank and cat-back there just is not much room for a trans cooler. I think I have found a good spot up front, driver side will have to do, I bent one of the horn brackets out of the way, this will allow enough space for the trans cooler. (I hope)

I went ahead and ordered a 9" fan from Summit, I want to make sure that I get enough airflow for the cooler. I am thinking a 'pull' configuration would fit best, but the fan is reversible so if plans change I can adapt to it.

Here is what I picked up:
Derale DER-16749 ($46.97)
Fan Control, Thermostatic, Adjustable, 150 to 240 Degrees, Kit
This also has an override switch connection where I can force the fan on if I want.

AIR-21507 ($7.97)
Air Fitting, Tee, Brass, Natural, 3/8-18 in. NPT Male, 3/8 in. NPT Female, 3/8 in. NPT Female, Each
This will allow me to install the temp sensor.

SUM-G4890 ($51.97)
Electric Fan, Reversible, 9 in. Fan Diameter, 790 cfm, 7.7 amps, 10 Plastic Blades, Shroud,
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 03-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #144
not a gt

Is there room between the front bumper and the intercooler for a fan?? I was looking on mine at this but it ain't happening!!, (keep forgetting your IC is smaller). Looks really nice, the attention to detail is impressive, if you are still working at this pace, we must assume you did NOT Taz yourself
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #145
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
Is there room between the front bumper and the intercooler for a fan?? I was looking on mine at this but it ain't happening!!, (keep forgetting your IC is smaller). Looks really nice, the attention to detail is impressive, if you are still working at this pace, we must assume you did NOT Taz yourself
No, there is no room between the front bumper and the intercooler, that is pretty much all used up and I do not want to add anything in front of the intercooler. Not sure the size of your IC, mine is 4" deep, it is the upgraded version, normal ones in the kits are 3".

Ha, no Taz yet but I will be sure to video it, I have an upcoming business trip that I cannot afford, so the experiment will be put on hold.

TransCooler Location:
I think I have decided where to mount the transcooler, after bending the horn bracket to make room, it opened up this area. See below:

Custom brackets will need to be made as well. Hopefully there is enough space for the fan. Fan will be here Friday so I will know very soon.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 03-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #146
TKat13
Mach-T

I was not happy with one of the oil lines where I had to route it, so I spent the next 3 hours re-doing the oil feed lines. The issue was the direction of the ports on the adapter, I finally pulled it hard enough that I was able to get a quarter turn on the adapter and now the feed lines pointed away from the problem. So, I was able to re-route the line. Now no more tight bends and areas of rubbing.

It was one of those adjustments that you know is going to hurt, 3 hours of snaking my hand in that area and then pulling, yanking, etc.. hours later my hand started to throb. It is basically one big bruise, but hey, this is the joy of building your ride. Those are not scraps, that is just bruising beginning. haha

Oh well, it is worth the piece of mind knowing a potential problem has been resolved, it was constantly on my mind so I had to do something.

I finally put the shaker bracket back on, so far I have been so pleased that I have not lost a single bolt, although my technique adds time to disassembly, it is paying dividends now.

Starting to look like a Mach again:

I think I will be painting the C&L to match after see this.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #147
TKat13
Mach-T

Took a trip to Poland for work so minimal progress has been made, here is a shot from my hotel room, just below Albert during the day I counted 80+ workers constructing another building, this was in Warsaw.

Back to the Mach, I finally spaced the torque converter to the flywheel and tightened it down, no pictures as it was pretty boring but a PITA as turning the crank while all the piping and turbo was installed was a tight fit. Lessoned learned, do this before completing the turbo install.

Next on the list was to install the starter, I damaged the old starter when dropping the motor in, broke off the lead to the solenoid. I decided instead of putting on a solenoid, I decided to buy a new starter as I do not want to fix stuff like this when I am done.

I also decided to install new Bosch O2 sensors, figured new was better than 100k mile O2s.

The replacement O2s were much longer than stock ones so I did not have to extend the wires on the passenger side. However on the driver's side I added about 6 inches, cut, solder, heat shrink, tape and wire loom the extension. Forgot to take pictures of the work.

Back to the transmission, I decided to install the dipstick before doing the lines to the cooler mainly because the lines would make it a pain to drop the dipstick into the hole.

At the transmission end, put RTV just under the hex nut above the o-ring, a coat of transmission fluid on the o-rings and simply push it into the tranny.

Next was the mounting bracket, the one that came with the dipstick had a 90 degree angle, but this was not going to work where I wanted to mount it. So out came the 5lb hammer.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 03-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #148
TKat13
Mach-T

Here I beat it flat and used a scotch pad as I did not like the shiny bracket and made it more of a satin finish to match the handle better.

After installing it, I did not like the straight up position as pulling the dipstick out hit the cowl lip, so out it came and back into the vise and beat a slight angle into the bracket to angle the handle out a bit for ease of access, not just to pull the dipstick out but to also plug in the funnel.

Screwed it down with a stainless steel bolt and locking nut.
Close view:

The install was extremely easy, one of the easiest things on this build. The part is a extremely high quality and worth every penny. Highly recommend the Lokar part. The bracket that I had to modify was the hardest part, only because the bracket was such a great quality that it was very difficult to bend.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 03-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #149
TKat13
Mach-T

Installing the Trans-cooler.

The location of the was selected basically by available space. It has three mounting points which proved very stable after they were installed.

Mounting point 1 was a simple 'L' bracket that I had laying around, just trimmed it a bit, originally I was going to drill holes in the back of the bumper support but the angle for the drill proved the be a pain, so I decided to weld it in place. I had to turn down the welder, forgot it was on a high setting from a previous job, thus blowing through, but no big deal.

The next bracket was made out of some stock steel I had, needed to be a very small and odd angle. This did the trick.

The final bracket I tied into the horn mounting location and just bent it to fit, it was a steel stock with holes in it. You have to really look hard to see it.

Radiator mounted, I completely forgot to show pictures of the fan install that is on the back of the cooler, I will see if I can get a rear shot later but I had to make brackets for it as well but it maybe took 10 minutes of time.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 03-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #150
TKat13
Mach-T

Trans cooler thermostat.
Instead of having the unwanted noise all the time of an electric fan or having to monitor trans temp all the time, I decided to install a thermostat for the trans. Basic connection are ground, 12volt, ignition on and an optional override switch.

This is the control module before the wire dressing. You can remove the small round cap and adjust the temp that kicks on the fan. The two small wires are ignition and remote override switch.

As crazy as it seems, you connect the Red wire from the control box to the ground of the fan! I kept having nightmares after this that I did it wrong. lol.
Anyway, the Ground is the 'switching' connection.

The blue wire below is directly from the Fan, this the positive connection that is always connected to 12v.

Quick pic of the wire dressing, need to clean up the tape a bit. Also you can see the black wire of the control module is grounded.

The last connection is the over-ride switch, since I do not run fog lights and have since removed my nitrous (used to arm the nitrous in the past) my fan over-ride switch is the fog light switch. I also dressed all the wires in the wire loom, one thing that is not shown is the actual temp sensor, it just plugs into a wire. I do not have pics, sorry.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP