2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 01-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #176
nellis1218

Re: Hanging/Slow dropping RPM FIX inside.

NC Mach just wanted to say I just put my order in for one and hope this does the trick on mine. I just got my car Dec. 2006 and was hoping that there was a way I could fix it.
BBK O/R H Pipe
IAC Restictor Plate
K&N Filter
Raised Shaker
20% Window Tint

BALD TIRES
nellis1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #177
FordMan
I Am Cornholio!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeMach View Post
on the auto's.. how do i make the hole bigger? and why?

and another thing.. is there any pics of how to install it, which side the small hole goes on? thanks
I screwed mine to a piece of scrap wood and drilled it. That will keep the plate from spinning when the drill bit breaks through, because we all know that hands don't like holding spinning pieces of metal.
FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #178
Sublimemach
2013 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan View Post
I screwed mine to a piece of scrap wood and drilled it. That will keep the plate from spinning when the drill bit breaks through, because we all know that hands don't like holding spinning pieces of metal.
ok cool.. but how big of a drill bit do i need for the small hole to get bigger?

Cars owned:
2016 guard green 5.0 bagged on copper rovos DAILY
2004 manual CO Mach 1 SOLD
2013 Perf. white A6 5.0, recaro's, full exhaust
2004 CO auto Mach 1.bagged. full bolt on, full exhaust, Slammed & Cammed! 341/310 WEEKEND CAR
2001 Mineral Grey GT. few bolt ons. WRECKED
1998 Laser Red V6. wheels and exhaust. SOLD
Sublimemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #179
FordMan
I Am Cornholio!!!

If he's still making them with a 9/32" smaller hole, try 5/16" first and then, if need be, 11/32"
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #180
NC Mach 1

Their 5/16". Another way to open them up is with a dremel.

Fordman is right. A sharp drill bit will grab and either slice your fingers or bend the plate. So be careful !!!

Better yet find some short wood screws and screw the plate to a board.

http://brmcoa.org

Last edited by NC Mach 1; 03-21-2008 at 01:20 PM.
NC Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #181
Sublimemach
2013 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Mach 1 View Post
Their 5/16". Another way to open them up is with a dremel.

Fordman is right. A sharp drill bit will grab and either slice your fingers or bend the plate. So be careful !!!

Better yet find some short wood screws and screw the plate to a board.
ok, but is it even worth all of the trouble to do this? or should i just sell it to a buddy with a 5spd mach?

Cars owned:
2016 guard green 5.0 bagged on copper rovos DAILY
2004 manual CO Mach 1 SOLD
2013 Perf. white A6 5.0, recaro's, full exhaust
2004 CO auto Mach 1.bagged. full bolt on, full exhaust, Slammed & Cammed! 341/310 WEEKEND CAR
2001 Mineral Grey GT. few bolt ons. WRECKED
1998 Laser Red V6. wheels and exhaust. SOLD
Sublimemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #182
FordMan
I Am Cornholio!!!

Mine is on a 5-speed Mach, and it required enlarging the smaller hole to 11/32" diameter to work correctly
Old 01-22-2007, 04:50 PM   #183
CompBCurrie

Could anybody send me a CAD or SolidWorks drawing of one of these plates? my car is in storage now, 2 hours away, but i have access to a shop...might as well make good use of my time. Thanks for the help.
IUP, JLT RAI, PHP spacer, MRT H, Magnapacks, MGW shifter, Dyno Tune
310rwhp, 331rwtq
CompBCurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #184
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompBCurrie View Post
Could anybody send me a CAD or SolidWorks drawing of one of these plates? my car is in storage now, 2 hours away, but i have access to a shop...might as well make good use of my time. Thanks for the help.
An IAC gasket is a great template, just make one hole smaller. See above posts for hole sizes to start with. I use a second gasket on mine but it's not required. Good luck.
1933 Ford 3W Coupe (4.6 dohc Stack Injection)
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
2014 Mustang GT (Track Pack) in Black
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #185
birdman941
Torque wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffav View Post
An IAC gasket is a great template, just make one hole smaller. See above posts for hole sizes to start with. I use a second gasket on mine but it's not required. Good luck.

You can use a piece of scrap aluminum. (old gutters?)
All you need is a drill, a couple of bits, and sheetmetal shears.
Start the small hole really small and adjust from there.

5.4 32V NA
Streetable 404/387 26.56 MPG

"I don't like repeat offenders,
I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

"A big engine hardly working is more efficient
than a little engine screaming its head off" Jay Leno
birdman941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #186
Yeller04Mach01

Exclamation Re: Hanging/Slow dropping RPM FIX inside.

My 04 Mach 1 started idling about 1500 RPM and then suddenly droping down to around 800 RPM when ever I stopped. After awhile it started to die when I stopped .

Car is under warranty so I took it to the dealer. They found one of these plates on my car. It was causing the IAC valve to carbon up inside. They replaced the IAC valve, removed the plate and charged me $200. since they said the plate caused the problem.

I just wanted to let everyone know this plate can cause the valve to carbon up inside and affect the idle. Something to check on.
Yeller04Mach01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #187
FieroMan
Gotta love da white ones!

Thanks for all the good info, Everyone. I will be installing mine on Sunday if all goes well.

I am also installing a JLT RAI, so I wonder if I should install both at the same time or just the RAI. I'm thinking just RAI to make sure all is working correctly, then adding the restrictor plate to the IAC.

I assume I need to disconnect the battery for a half an hour after each install?

I don't know the computer re-programming process (since I have been away from the Mustang scene for over 10 years now), so do I wait a while to see if the computer is learning to deal with the changes or should I assume something is wrong if the car sounds bad after the very first start? (on both the RAI and the restrictor)

Does that make sense? The kids woke me up too **** early this morning...or was it that I stayed up too **** late last night...
FieroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #188
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeller04Mach01 View Post
My 04 Mach 1 started idling about 1500 RPM and then suddenly droping down to around 800 RPM when ever I stopped. After awhile it started to die when I stopped .

Car is under warranty so I took it to the dealer. They found one of these plates on my car. It was causing the IAC valve to carbon up inside. They replaced the IAC valve, removed the plate and charged me $200. since they said the plate caused the problem.

I just wanted to let everyone know this plate can cause the valve to carbon up inside and affect the idle. Something to check on.

The IAC can and will carbon up and have OTHER issues REGARDLESS of whether an IAC restrictor plate is installed. When my GT was 100% stock but a year old it had a bad one. My 03 Cobra had one that was less than smooth so I had to clean it a couple of times. If this was an item that rarely screwed up I might agree with the dealer --- I think they used the plate as an excuse.

Glad you got it fixed.
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
Old 02-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #189
FordMan
I Am Cornholio!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieroMan View Post
Thanks for all the good info, Everyone. I will be installing mine on Sunday if all goes well.

I am also installing a JLT RAI, so I wonder if I should install both at the same time or just the RAI. I'm thinking just RAI to make sure all is working correctly, then adding the restrictor plate to the IAC.

I assume I need to disconnect the battery for a half an hour after each install?

I don't know the computer re-programming process (since I have been away from the Mustang scene for over 10 years now), so do I wait a while to see if the computer is learning to deal with the changes or should I assume something is wrong if the car sounds bad after the very first start? (on both the RAI and the restrictor)

Does that make sense? The kids woke me up too **** early this morning...or was it that I stayed up too **** late last night...
Install the JLT first, and then the plate. You may have to enlarge the smaller hole in 1/32" stages to get the desired idle drop, and by doing so separately you will know that it's not the RAI having any influence on your idle.

I would disconnect the battery for the RAI install, but not for the IAC plate mod.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #190
weaver
mustangs rule

Quote:

Sounds alot like the problems I had when I installed one of these. I tried at least 6 diff. hole sizes and not one acted good enough to keep on the car. I have since removed it and now enjoy being able to not worry about it having a negative effect on the car. IMO these plates aren't worth the trouble.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #191
NC Mach 1

I have to agree with geoffav. Boy did that dealer stick it to you and has you believing it.
NC Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #192
FieroMan
Gotta love da white ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan View Post
Install the JLT first, and then the plate. You may have to enlarge the smaller hole in 1/32" stages to get the desired idle drop, and by doing so separately you will know that it's not the RAI having any influence on your idle.

I would disconnect the battery for the RAI install, but not for the IAC plate mod.
Thanks for the advice, FordMan.

I didn't get to put the IAC restrictor in yet - or the JLT RAI. I was going to do it last weekend, but I found a bunch of metal in my oil so off to the dealer it goes.
FieroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:07 AM   #193
Mach1Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Sounds alot like the problems I had when I installed one of these. I tried at least 6 diff. hole sizes and not one acted good enough to keep on the car. I have since removed it and now enjoy being able to not worry about it having a negative effect on the car. IMO these plates aren't worth the trouble.
Your car must be broken or something because the plates work for thousands of other people.
Either that or you put it on wrong, had a leak or something.

2003 Mustang Mach 1
Torch Red, 5-Speed
w/ IUP

Steeda Tri-Ax
Steeda Sport Springs
UPR Adjustable LCA's
Offset Urethane Rack Bushings
Maximum Motorsports Full Length SFC's
Ford Racing 4.10 Ring/Pinion
JLT CAI
Ported/Polished TB/Upper Intake
PHP Intake Spacer
NGK TR6 Plugs, Gapped @ .050
MAC O/R Prochamber
Borla Stinger Exhaust
SCT Custom Tune
Mach1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:10 AM   #194
Mach1Canuck

Quote:

LOL, a new IAC is like $80 max. And 5 minutes of labor to install....... != $200
So your dealership is charging, what $1400 an hour labor?

Dealers are crooks, if you had a wheel fall off they would say its your fault because you had aftermarket floor mats.

2003 Mustang Mach 1
Torch Red, 5-Speed
w/ IUP

Steeda Tri-Ax
Steeda Sport Springs
UPR Adjustable LCA's
Offset Urethane Rack Bushings
Maximum Motorsports Full Length SFC's
Ford Racing 4.10 Ring/Pinion
JLT CAI
Ported/Polished TB/Upper Intake
PHP Intake Spacer
NGK TR6 Plugs, Gapped @ .050
MAC O/R Prochamber
Borla Stinger Exhaust
SCT Custom Tune
Mach1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #195
STREET BULLY
STREET BULLY

So how and what do you
use to make the hole bigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Canuck View Post
Difficulty (1-10): 3
Time Required: 1 hour
Equipment: Socket set, .5square feet of 1/32" aluminum sheetmetal, tin snips

This is for anyone that doesn't like when the RPM's that are slow to drop or even rise slightly when you push the clutch in to shift. Another symptom, is that when cruising in a higher gear and you let your foot off the gas, the car almost cruises on its own for a bit.

First, understand the problem. The engine is recieving too much air through the IAC valve. From my knowledge Ford did this for emissions reasons.

As a side effect of this fix, when you downshift, the car burbles a lot more, sounds like a carburated engine. You get a little more engine braking effect.

The FIX:
Most older mustangs have an external IAC valve. Meaning that it is easy to find, follow a small air hose (1/2" ID) to a silver cylinder thing on your intake (the IAC solenoid). Once you found it, the older fix was to buy a 1/2" copper pipe cap, drill out a small hole, insert this into the line the restrict air flow through the IAC, and your done.
The Mach has a slightly different setup.
We have an INTERNAL IAC air supply. Meaning that there is no hose leading to it.

To find your IAC valve, first remove your entire shaker assembly from your car.

Next, look between your intake and the firewall, there should be a silver cylinder shaped object with 2 bolts leading to your intake.

Remove the two bolts and move this assembly.

You should see the following, the IAC assembly has two "ports" with the solenoid controlling the air flow between these two ports, what we want to accomplish is to restrict the airflow leading through this.

To do this, there should be a small gasket on your intake, or it could be stuck to the IAC valve.

Remove this (carefully)

Trace out the shape of this gasket as well as the holes for mounting bolts, and the two airholes, onto a piece of 1/32" aluminum or something similar.

Cut out the outline of this "restrictor plate" from the aluminum.

Cut out the holes for your bolts to go through.

Cut out a single one of the Air holes.
Now the tricky part. You have to decide how big to make the other hole because this determines the amount of air you are restricting.

The smallest you should go would be around 5/32", the worst case if you go to small is your car will stall when fix is complete, if this happens just take the plate out, make the hole bigger, and check that.
The hole I used is around 9/32" which is about the medium you would want to go.

After your "restricter plate" is cut out, mount it with the small hole on the passenger side of the IAC, and make sure to replace the gasket against the intake.
Start your car, you should notice the RPMs drop when you start back to normal very quickly.
If it idles smoothly, try putting turning on the AC, this will load the engine down.
If your car stalls out, remove the plate, make the hole bigger, try again.
If still idling smoothly, bolt your shaker back on, take it for a spin. You might need to adjust your driving/clutching style after being used to the crappy RPM hang, so don't be discouraged.
Also, you might want to disconnect your battery during the procedure to make your computer relearn it tweaks after you finish.

If, after you start the car you notice a "whistling" sound, then take a look at your plate, make sure the BIG hole is at least as big as the hole on the IAC valve. ALso make sure edges of holes are rounded (sharp edges are bad), and the holes are round. This happened on mine, and I fixed it.

Any questions, please post here.

Please don't yell at me if you break your car, you accept that you are trying this at your own risk. It works on mine, but your mileage may vary.
STREET BULLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #196
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STREET BULLY View Post
So how and what do you
use to make the hole bigger?
Twist drill, step drill, file, dremmel tool, and I'm sure other methods. Clamp or screw it down good if using a drill. :THUMBSUP:
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
Old 06-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #197
FordMan
I Am Cornholio!!!

If using a drill, affix it to something stable so you can hold it. I screwed mine onto a piece of wood (a common surveyor's stake) using wood screws, and was able then to hold the stake while drilling to prevent the restrictor plate from spinning when the drill bit "bites" into it.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #198
bris09

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
The IAC can and will carbon up and have OTHER issues REGARDLESS of whether an IAC restrictor plate is installed. When my GT was 100% stock but a year old it had a bad one. My 03 Cobra had one that was less than smooth so I had to clean it a couple of times. If this was an item that rarely screwed up I might agree with the dealer --- I think they used the plate as an excuse.

Glad you got it fixed.
I spent the last week tweaking the voltage and stop on the Accufab just to find out today that the less than two month old IAC is sticking. They're junk. I'm going to make a plate and try it before I buy the third IAC. Yes, the car is still under warranty but it is not worth fighting with the dealer. They refused to replace the MAF sensor because of the K&N filter.
Enough to not be the slowest, but nowhere near enough to be the fastest.

17 Fusion Sport
Now faster than the Mach

96 Laser Red Cobra Vert
For those days you just wanna cruise with the top down

89 Shelby CSX
Still rocking the VNT and Fiberides.
bris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #199
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bris09 View Post
I spent the last week tweaking the voltage and stop on the Accufab just to find out today that the less than two month old IAC is sticking. They're junk. I'm going to make a plate and try it before I buy the third IAC. Yes, the car is still under warranty but it is not worth fighting with the dealer. They refused to replace the MAF sensor because of the K&N filter.

Yes they do suck. I have a spare that I cleaned and stuck in a baggy. I wish there was a "quality" replacement for them. Some dealers are a PITA.

Hope you get it sorted out.
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
Old 06-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #200
bris09

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Yes they do suck. I have a spare that I cleaned and stuck in a baggy. I wish there was a "quality" replacement for them. Some dealers are a PITA.

Hope you get it sorted out.
Unplugged the IAC and it returns to idle with no hanging so I'm pretty sure the plate will fix it. Good news is the tweaking to the TPS and stop was necessary. After the engine was up to temp the RPM's would hang at 3k unless you stabbed the throttle real quick. Throttle was hanging up, that's why it took me until today to look at the IAC.

On a side note Roy's Phenolic spacer makes it nice to work around the Throttle body when the engine is hot. You can rest your hand on the upper intake without burning the **** out of it.
Enough to not be the slowest, but nowhere near enough to be the fastest.

17 Fusion Sport
Now faster than the Mach

96 Laser Red Cobra Vert
For those days you just wanna cruise with the top down

89 Shelby CSX
Still rocking the VNT and Fiberides.
bris09 is offline   Reply With Quote