2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > RACING Discussions > Road Course & Autocross

Road Course & Autocross Post info about SCCA and Road Course Racing.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
j rick kirby

need open track imput

Going to VIR soon and am wondering if I can get away w/ stock brake pads and do you have any tire pressure recomendations.Car is totally stock.VIR is 3.2 miles w/ 17 turns and only 2 really hard braking zones.It's thought of as a rhythm course w/ lots of elevation changes.Thanks.
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
badappl

j rick kirby
I've never been to VIR but have driven a couple 3 mile road courses and some SCCA Solo 1 events. I've got to 105 on some of the straights and then had to hit the brakes pretty hard...to the point where the rotors are blue after a run (Dont...whatever you do, put your e-brake on after a run, your rotors could warp).
While I intend to eventually 1) Get some ducting to the front brakes and 2) get some bigger brakes. I do not think there is a need to get bigger brakes for just one trip to VIR. You'll wish you had them but if this is your first time on that track you may want to learn the lines and take it slower and not be driving to the car's maximum capabilities. Once you have the track figured out, then you'll be needing (as compared to wanting) those bigger brakes.
I'd suggest keeping your tire pressure around 28 to 32 psi if you are on stocks, the track is warm and you are driving @ a good clip. Check your pressure after every run...was the car snotty & starting to lose traction toward the end of your run? What is the TP? Let more air out as the TP will usually be higher after a run. Drive around if you can to cool off the brakes.
Have fun & sorry 4 the long post:THUMBSUP:
PS. I am by no means an accomplished road course driver and would defer to those who have had more experience. This is simply my $.02 and I hope you enjoy your time on the track.

Some perddy stuff 'n some go fast stuff 'n some handlin' stuff

Last edited by badappl; 11-29-2004 at 02:24 PM.
badappl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:12 PM   #3
No Control
MACHDADDY

Having done many open track events in my 98, with stock brakes, with drilled rotors and also with the cobra brakes, any type you get will fade out. These cars are extremely heavy, and it takes alot to get them down. If your comfortable with it, use a combonation of engine braking with your normal brakes. Like badapple said:if this is your first time on that track you may want to learn the lines and take it slower and not be driving to the car's maximum capabilities. Once you have the track figured out, then you can start to push the car a little harder. Do it gradually, don't rip the car up on the first run, or you'll soon find yourself on the back side of the track with no brakes. Most importantly: It's not a race. You don't get any trophies, so have fun and really learn the car.
1998 GT-Money pit #1
1992 GT- Money pit #2
ALL OF THEM BLACK!!!!!!
No Control is offline   Reply With Quote