2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > Surveys & POLLS

Surveys & POLLS Post Registry-wide gerneral surveys and polls here.

View Poll Results: Did you serve in the Military?
Yes, I served/serving and I'm glad I did 85 79.44%
Yes, I served/serving and it was a bad decision and I regret it 1 0.93%
No, I never served but wish I had 15 14.02%
No, I never served and don't regret it 6 5.61%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Post Military Service Poll....>

We get posts from time to time where people ask questions about joining the military. We usually get some very good inputs from those that have served or are presently serving. I'd like to propose a poll to ask four different questions and see how it comes out.

1.) Yes, I served/serving and I'm glad I did.

2.) Yes, I served/serving and it was a bad decision and I regret it.

3.) No, I never served but wish I had.

4.) No, I never served and don't regret it.

Four simple questions, no need to say I wish I had but hurt my knee playing football in high school or I'm glad I did and am now a millionaire because of it (LOL).
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic

Old 08-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Azure Blurr
I miss my friend

Re: Military Service Poll....>

Should have been public.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Blurr View Post
Should have been public.
I purposely kept it Private. Someone might have enlisted and got booted out and be bitter about their time in the military. Also someone who never really considered it when they were younger may now regret it. The two listed examples above may not want to participate in a public poll but would in a private one.

Military service is not for everybody. You have a small window of opportunity in your life if you want to try it due to age requirements (usually 18-27).

My story --- At age 18 Vietnam was still going gangbusters and the draft was in full swing. The Nation was divided over the war with protests and even if you worked in the chow-hall serving mash potatoes for your entire enlistment at Ft Dix, NJ people called you a "baby killer". When I started college, a few of my former high school team mates who were several years older were returning from their two years in the Army after getting drafted. They were basically ostracized by many of the students who didn't know them before and even some who knew them had turned against them for their part in the war. I had a high draft number and rode it out for a year as 1-A while going to college. By my second year, 1972, Vietnam was winding down for the ground forces and my chances of getting drafted were practically nil. I had talked to a recruiter on the campus but at $110 a month, I felt I could do better even at a minimum wage job as a civilian. Five years later, at the "old age" of 24 I decided I wanted to join and did. It was the post-Vietnam military but you still never talked about it much and the women most certainly weren't impressed by short hair and military guys. The pay had "shot-up" to $320 a month. It ended my first marriage but if it wasn't meant to be it wasn't meant to be. It also allowed me to meet another great gal that I've had for 30 years now. That's two decisions I'm glad I made and I've got over 30 years with both of them (LOL).

It wasn't like today in the post 9/11 World where you're considered a hero (even if you're still stationed at Ft Dix serving mash potatoes) for being in the military. The pay is not too bad once you get a couple of stripes. The benefits today are fantastic and people are proud to say that they are serving. It's a much smaller military and the people are more professional and deserve increased pay as many of their skills are highly technical.

Times have changed greatly over the last 40 years in the military and the country. This may sound funny but I don't put down or think badly about guys in the 40's or 50's who never served. As long as they're productive citizens and paying their taxes I'm grateful and thank them for supporting the country. When they were younger it wasn't a grand and noble thing like it is today and the pay was not much back then. It's one thing to say you regret not serving but it's nothing to be embrassed about.

I salute those who served and thank those who support them.
My 1970 Mach

2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

Old 08-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
jasionox666x

Wow. Seeing from this poll everyone who joined doesn't regret it.
jasionox666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
blown03Mach1
8LB YNER

Passed over 25 years active Air Force this past June. Unless something changes, I am going to retire Dec 2011... If not sooner.

Do not regret a minute of my time served.

TR 2003 (Jezebel) sold Mar 12...
blown03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
jasionox666x

One thing I'm worried about is rent at the place I live. I'm not married yet. I will be marrying in June 4th 2011. Will they give me rent pay if I'm married while I'm at boot camp and ait ?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Azure Blurr
I miss my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamilton View Post
I purposely kept it Private. Someone might have enlisted and got booted out and be bitter about their time in the military. Also someone who never really considered it when they were younger may now regret it. The two listed examples above may not want to participate in a public poll but would in a private one.
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted.

If someone is in regret it would be nice to know why though.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
jasionox666x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Blurr View Post
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted.

If someone is in regret it would be nice to know why though.
Yes please let me know if you feel comfortable.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
blown03Mach1
8LB YNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasionox666x View Post
One thing I'm worried about is rent at the place I live. I'm not married yet. I will be marrying in June 4th 2011. Will they give me rent pay if I'm married while I'm at boot camp and ait ?
I am pretty certain that if you are married prior to you attending basic, then you should receive money for your housing based off of your location (basic training), not where your wife is staying. This will also be a higher amount as it will be with dependent rate vs single rate.

I am sure someone who has just entered can correct me if I am wrong.

TR 2003 (Jezebel) sold Mar 12...
blown03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown03Mach1 View Post
I am pretty certain that if you are married prior to you attending basic, then you should receive money for your housing based off of your location (basic training), not where your wife is staying. This will also be a higher amount as it will be with dependent rate vs single rate.

I am sure someone who has just entered can correct me if I am wrong.

When you're married and first go in the military, you will draw your basic housing allowance based on your home of record which is normally where your wife would be living until you reach your first duty assignment. Then it will based on where you are assigned. For example, my son joined the Air Force two years ago. While he was in basic training and his tech schools, he drew his housing allowance based on his "home of record or HOR" which is where his wife was. Once he got to his first duty assignment the cost of living in that area was less that his HOR and his pay dropped about $200 a month. That's not as bad as it might sound as rent was much lower that it had been previous to him joining the A.F.

The fact that the military will pay you additional money based on your marital status is kind of hard to believe but true. Just imagine going to work for a factory, bank, Wal-Mart, on any other job you can name in the civilian sector and see if they pay you extra money just because your married.
My 1970 Mach

Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
24kmach
My First Mach, Jan. 1969

I joined the Air Force in Aug. 1963 for the big money. $68 a month sure beat the money I was bringing in with my Kool Aid stand, but if only I had started a chain of stands? I can see it now, "Russ's Kool, get high, Aid stations"

Based in Kent, Washington, Pacific Cascade Mustang Club is the only original Mustang club in the Puget Sound Area and according to Mustang Club of America, we are the oldest in the nation.
24kmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #12
StevesTorchRed

I don't regret it, but there are times I wish I was doing something else. I'm done at my 10 year mark. I've learned/seen/done more things than most people ever will in their life, it's time for me to flip burgers at Mickey'D's and let the woman bring in money while I **** around with hunting, and cars and stuff that I don't have the time for now.
StevesTorchRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
MRS.SHKR
SHAKE ME :D

Haven't served, likely will.
Ford Racing tune
Instagram: GT500Chick
Mach 1 Registry "Shelby Division"
MRS.SHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
jasionox666x

Here's another question. Did the army/navy/marines/air force turn you into the best shape of your life mentally and physically?

Is it easy to transition back into the civilian work force?

I know that it's a lot easier to get a gs job after serving.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
24kmach
My First Mach, Jan. 1969

Quote:
Here's another question. Did the army/navy/marines/air force turn you into the best shape of your life mentally and physically?

Yes and yes although I thought I was going to die in the process of the PT.

Based in Kent, Washington, Pacific Cascade Mustang Club is the only original Mustang club in the Puget Sound Area and according to Mustang Club of America, we are the oldest in the nation.
24kmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
jasionox666x

Lol.

Well if the weight chart online is accurate I would need to lost about 100 ****ing pounds.

If I go to the recruiter now I'd probably get laughed at lol.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #17
shane361

Quote:
Lol.

Well if the weight chart online is accurate I would need to lost about 100 ****ing pounds.

If I go to the recruiter now I'd probably get laughed at lol.
Your talking JUST to get into the Military. Take into account the 40 physical readiness test you will have to pass in order to retire. Be realistic as well as follow your dreams.

2004 DSG Mach12004 Competition Orange KB Cobra
shane361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
jasionox666x

I'm willing to do what it takes. I used to be an extremely active person till I moved. I can easily lose the weight.
I'm also going to look into the air national guard as well as the air force.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #19
PH761

Quote:

Yes, the Marine Corps did turn me into the best shape of my life, both physically and mentally by giving me a sense of becoming a man and a greater sense of purpose in life. As far as transitioning back into civilian life, that depends on what you saw and did while in the service, and your support group when you return from combat.
H&R Sport Springs
MM CC Plates
9" American Racing wheels
275/40 ZR17 Firestone Wide Ovals
Painted Hood Stripe and door inserts
Tune by Pro-Dyno
312 rwhp, 340 rwt
Daily Driver
PH761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
SparksMach1
Shitin 'n Gitin

Quote:

Yep, you grow up real quick in bootcamp, the teach you all the necessary skill sets that you need to be successful in life. physically, boot camp wasn't difficult at all, the best shape I was ever in was coming back from my first deployment, put on 20 lbs of solid, lean muscle mass and was ripped. That was all personal motivation as far as working out goes while you are deployed.

442/435 @ the rear ALL MOTOR -Race Gas
FRPP BOSS 5.0 block, 10.6:1 compression, Manley H-Beams; Diamond flat-top pistons, P&P heads W/ 5-angle valve job & ARP Head studs, PP upper/lower intake, Comp Stage 2 N/A cams, FR500 springs, valves, and followers, Tube K with coilovers and Bilsteins, Kooks, Stingers, 2.97 T-56 Magnum, 31 Spline Superior axles & Auburn-pro dif, built battle boxes, KB BAP w/ 39lb injectors, and 4:10's.
SparksMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #21
wigsite

I did 10 years in the OH Army Natl Guard mainly for the tuition money. I never regretted it. I will say that I came back from basic in d@mn good shape. I weighed into the Army at 128 lbs, awesome isn't it? Came out 160+ and remember one guy I worked with before and after basic saying he was scared of me when I got back - he was 250 lbs himself. While the military is not for everyone, I have no regrets and wouldn't be mad if my son joined when he got to be an adult.
Dyno tuned by CRT Performance
Pro 5.0 Power Tower shifter
best 1/4 12.62 @ 108.05 mph
313 RWHP..330 TQ
wigsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #22
G
Undocumented Member

I got out before I could get one of these....................................

Battlefield restraint medal my azzzzz

No Regrets
1933 Ford 3W Coupe (4.6 dohc Stack Injection)
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
2014 Mustang GT (Track Pack) in Black
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #23
mach1coastie

I served 6 years active duty Coast Guard
Old 08-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #24
Deftones

6 years in the MArine Corps from 1996-2002. Loved it and glad I did it. Wouldnt be where I am today had I not joined and served.
2003 SVT Cobra: Sold
2003 Mach 1 DSG!
Deftones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #25
gfong
Greg Fonger

Served for 14 years Infantry, spent a lot of time in West Germany with you American fellers! I did my French Commando course with a bunch of you in Breisach France. Commando Center 4. Worked hard, played hard!

Fall ex was always a whoot with the Brits, you guys and us. Good memories, fun times and makes me apprecaite the world that I live in and my neighbours to the south and overseas.
gfong is offline   Reply With Quote