2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 06-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #26
TheWaterSkier

Re: Removing Valve Covers and Installing Cobra Cams - A Complete How To With Pics

What strut brace do you have that clears the JLT RAI?

Traded on another vehicle. The Mach was a great car with very few issues in the 93,000 miles I put on it. I'll miss it...

'04 DSG 5 Spd. IUP
Tri-Ax purchased day before Mach, installed day of purchase. MGW Adjustable Shifter Arm.
Borla Stainless Steel "Stinger" Cat-back. Fiore firewall adjuster/Steeda clutch quadrant.
TheWaterSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #27
Mach828
Dark Knight

Re: Removing Valve Covers and Installing Cobra Cams - A Complete How To With Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWaterSkier View Post
What strut brace do you have that clears the JLT RAI?
I made that entire intake, its a replica JLT RAI out of ABS plastic and a 90mm MAF, still uses a 3" diameter tube.

Running the steeda 3 point.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #28
FastBlueMach1
Crewchief

which "little fittings" are you talking about? the orange pads the chains ride on?

BBK 65mm TB
SCT x3
Kooks LT, o/r X Mac Catback
PSR K w/ D Spec coilovers
2000 Cobra R brakes
275/40/17 F1GSD3
315/35/17 F1GSD3
FR500 wheels 17x9, 17x10.5
Amsoil engine and tranny
4.10 gears
ACT 14.3 lb flywheel
SPEC clutch
FRPP driveshaft
C&L full intake w/85mm maf
MGW shifter
NGK TR55ix
319HP 333TQ at the wheels
H&K USP compact .40S&W
FastBlueMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #29
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastBlueMach1 View Post
which "little fittings" are you talking about? the orange pads the chains ride on?
The orange pads have two nipple fittings. If you feel underneath or look with a mirror the tabs fit into tabs on the metal. There are two, and I broke the one closest to the intake manifold on each side.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #30
FastBlueMach1
Crewchief

oh, so you had to replace the chain pads? how much are those at the dealership?

BBK 65mm TB
SCT x3
Kooks LT, o/r X Mac Catback
PSR K w/ D Spec coilovers
2000 Cobra R brakes
275/40/17 F1GSD3
315/35/17 F1GSD3
FR500 wheels 17x9, 17x10.5
Amsoil engine and tranny
4.10 gears
ACT 14.3 lb flywheel
SPEC clutch
FRPP driveshaft
C&L full intake w/85mm maf
MGW shifter
NGK TR55ix
319HP 333TQ at the wheels
H&K USP compact .40S&W
FastBlueMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #31
MattN03
03RCODE

subscribing...
Sold 10/3/12
MattN03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #32
2camsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
Well I got it. Drivers side cover is off without removing the brake booster or master cylinder. Just had to tilt the engine, and use a little wiggling and she came off. Wasn't really any more difficult than the passenger side.

I wonder if you can tilt the engine enough if you have longtubes on ?
2camsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #33
blackgtcp

Did this by dealing with the brake booster. What a pain in the ***. Did you use just a socket on the motor mount nuts? Doesnt seem like theres enough room
blackgtcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #34
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgtcp View Post
Did this by dealing with the brake booster. What a pain in the ***. Did you use just a socket on the motor mount nuts? Doesnt seem like theres enough room
There is a hole in the k member a arm area right above the nut for the motor mounts that let you stick a socket inside and use a ratchet

However, I broke the cam timing sprocket cause the keyways are different. Dam it! Now again I am waiting for another part. Turning out to be a week long project.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #35
sideways03
LS What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgtcp View Post
That's how I did it too. Seems like it would be MUCH easier to just life the engine. Live and learn.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #36
Mach828
Dark Knight

So, to add another complication. The keyways on the 96-97 cobra intake cams are different than the 98-04 dohc intake cams. So, since I have 96 cobra cams, the keyways are different. I didn't know, went to torque it down, the keyway bound up and broke the secondary cam gear. WTF!

According to Ford parts online, the secondary cam gears for the 96-97 cobra intake cams have been discontinued.

So now I have to grind the keyways down on the cams so they fit. Thanks for letting me know before hand all the Cobra cam gurus! I started this project last Friday. So looking like it is going to take a week to finish since i had to wait on cam bolts which were different, and now the cam secondary gears. ARGGHH

Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #37
AzureMach03

sorry bud, at least you are learning more about a mod motor!

03 Black Mach- Sold
00 Lightning- Sold
03 AB Mach- Sold
AzureMach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #38
blackgtcp

Quote:
There is a hole in the k member a arm area right above the nut for the motor mounts that let you stick a socket inside and use a ratchet

However, I broke the cam timing sprocket cause the keyways are different. Dam it! Now again I am waiting for another part. Turning out to be a week long project.
Yea I saw those bolts while I was detailing underneath but was too lazy to go grab a socket to see if it would fit
Mines turning into much longer than a weekend deal. Trying to track down a tick/knocking sound.
blackgtcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #39
Chances50

Quote:
So, to add another complication. The keyways on the 96-97 cobra intake cams are different than the 98-04 dohc intake cams. So, since I have 96 cobra cams, the keyways are different. I didn't know, went to torque it down, the keyway bound up and broke the secondary cam gear. WTF!

According to Ford parts online, the secondary cam gears for the 96-97 cobra intake cams have been discontinued.

So now I have to grind the keyways down on the cams so they fit. Thanks for letting me know before hand all the Cobra cam gurus! I started this project last Friday. So looking like it is going to take a week to finish since i had to wait on cam bolts which were different, and now the cam secondary gears. ARGGHH
there was a WHOLE thread about this issue, thats why people were buying the adjustable cloyes gears.
Chances50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #40
rich1
AUTOMACHTIC

Of course you could have just used the 01 Cobra cams that would have dropped in... gears,bolts ,keys and all . Ok, a little less lift and duration but since you werent degreeing the cams anyway only about a 5 hp loss from the 96-98 cams.
UPGRADES...Tokico Illuminas Borla SS Catback , Steeda Underdrives , Strut Brace , HPM Lower K Brace , L /C Arms , U /C Arms , HPM PanHard Bar, K&N FRPK 2, GOODYEAR GT1 , MRT- H-Pipe , JLT VaporTraps , SLP-12'" Tips! , FRPP Shorty 1 5/8 Headers , Brembo D/S & PBR D/S Rotors ,FRPP Alum.DS ,Roys 3/8 Spacer , SVT Focus 255 pump SCTsw Chip PRO-DYNOjet NA 300.01hp /315tq (Auto) ,Innovate W/B ,Compucar Wet Kit (90jet) + Heater and E Gauge * 360 hp/385tq 12.5 -1/4 @112
rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #41
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chances50 View Post
there was a WHOLE thread about this issue, thats why people were buying the adjustable cloyes gears.
No one mentioned it when I started this thread. Oh well. And I saw that thread, but his showed the little metal key as a separate piece, and mine didn't have that when I bought them, so I figured mine were okay. It didn't say all 96 and 97 cams won't fit. I'm no Ford parts expert.

Live and learn I guess. I'll just keep bumping this thread till they sticky it, so the next guy doesn't have to deal with the issues.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #42
lil devil

Thanks for starting this thread and keeping us informed. It inspired me to do a few things I have been wanting to do....cams and some powdercoating. Got my passenger side valve cover off yesterday, dreading the driver side.
lil devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #43
Mach828
Dark Knight

Well, I got everything put back together, and she is running fine. I didn't slip a tooth in the timing, and it started without blowing up, haha so I'm happy.

It is pulling stronger than ever! Love how it runs now. Can't wait to get er on the dyno, and hit the drags.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #44
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil devil View Post
Thanks for starting this thread and keeping us informed. It inspired me to do a few things I have been wanting to do....cams and some powdercoating. Got my passenger side valve cover off yesterday, dreading the driver side.
I recommend putting a block of wood between the oil pan and K member when you life the engine, even one between the motor mount and k member. That way in case your block of wood proping up the engine fails, your not going to lose a limb. It takes some wiggling skill, but with the engine titled, it comes out as easy as the passenger side.

There is also a sensor on the master cyclinder. Take that off, If its really tight, cut the wire clamp in front of the drivers side shock tower to get more room.

Also, I took off the bracket and white jug in front of the drivers side cover. I think its the power steering fluid container.

Last edited by Mach828; 06-24-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #45
Chances50

One thing that will save others time an money, you don't have to buy valve cover gaskets as long as the stock ones didn't get ripped in half coming out you can reuse them, also the cam bolts you can get from ford for $10 each and you can reuse the stock washers. I recommend just ordering the Cloyes gears if you can swing it, because if your like me you'll throw them in dot to dot and 2 months down the road wonder if you'll pick up power by degreeing and advancing them. Mach828, this is a great write up the we all will learn to love you for this so we dont have to see a 96-98 cobra cam install thread again.lol

I'm going to try to degree my cams in a few months I'll try to get good write up with pics for that ad well.
Chances50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #46
lil devil

Quote:
I recommend putting a block of wood between the oil pan and K member when you life the engine, even one between the motor mount and k member. That way in case your block of wood proping up the engine fails, your not going to lose a limb. It takes some wiggling skill, but with the engine titled, it comes out as easy as the passenger side.

There is also a sensor on the master cyclinder. Take that off, If its really tight, cut the wire clamp in front of the drivers side shock tower to get more room.

Also, I took off the bracket and white jug in front of the drivers side cover. I think its the power steering fluid container.
Thanks for the advice, will definately do that. Hopefully I can get some time in a few days to get the drivers side valve cover and the timing cover off. Cams should be here in about 2-3 weeks...bout the time I get my covers back from powdercoat.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #47
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil devil View Post
Thanks for the advice, will definately do that. Hopefully I can get some time in a few days to get the drivers side valve cover and the timing cover off. Cams should be here in about 2-3 weeks...bout the time I get my covers back from powdercoat.
NP. Once it clears the brake booster, lower the engine back down a few inches, and then its easier to pull it out completely. Same process on the reinstall. What cams are you putting in?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #48
lil devil

Quote:
NP. Once it clears the brake booster, lower the engine back down a few inches, and then its easier to pull it out completely. Same process on the reinstall. What cams are you putting in?
A set of custom grind comps, but just the intake cams. Was thinking about the cobra cams, but most were going for around 200 shipped. I got these for 590 shipped and they have 220 degrees duration. Should give me a nice idle and hoping they make my power curve a lil nicer to.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #49
sideways03
LS What?

Quote:
Well, I got everything put back together, and she is running fine. I didn't slip a tooth in the timing, and it started without blowing up, haha so I'm happy.

It is pulling stronger than ever! Love how it runs now. Can't wait to get er on the dyno, and hit the drags.

Thanks to everyone who helped.
So where are the pics of the painted covers back on the car???
Old 06-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #50
Mach828
Dark Knight

Here are the valve covers. Went with old Ford Blue and red tops. I like em.

Last edited by Mach828; 11-01-2011 at 11:46 AM.