2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 06-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
Jeff.Scherf

Caliper Banjo Bolt - Locktite or No?

Gang hello, changing over my Brake lines to Braided and noticed the Banjo Bolts appeared to have some red Loctite on them.. have any of you hear any recommendation to use / or not use it? I was surprised only because I assumed it would contaminate the brake fluid.

Any thoughts and or recommendation on torque rating to tighten them back up?

Thanks Jeff
Jeff.Scherf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
Bruisbe

Re: Caliper Banjo Bolt - Locktite or No?

Personally...I dont see a problem with using a little Lok tight...and by a little I mean a little. No need to flood that thing with loc tight.

As far as contamination occuring, the amount (in my opinion) would not be enough to do any sort of damage to the brake fluid and cause braking problems...I could be wrong here, however I used loc tight when after I painted my calipers and such when hooking it back up a few months back and not issues...
Bruisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

i believe the factory uses a thread lock/sealant paste as well, it basically just gets pushed back up out of the hole

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

No. Its all soft metal which kinda mashes together well along with the copper washer. If you use locktite you will probably round off the banjo bolt next time you take it off or will have to heat it up to liquify the locktite then loosen.
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #5
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mach1 View Post
No. Its all soft metal which kinda mashes together well along with the copper washer. If you use locktite you will probably round off the banjo bolt next time you take it off or will have to heat it up to liquify the locktite then loosen.
Yeah don't do it.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
NastyNate

no loctite ... YES on copper washer!
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
hotrodnut
Mach 1 Hot Rod Nut

What's everybody's opinion of using thread seal tape?

I have used that before and had no issues. As long as when wrapping the threads you keep the first couple threads free of it so none will get into the fluid.

2003 TR

Pro-5.0 Shifter, Hurst Stick -- K&N Air Filter -- Predator canned tune -- BBK Long Tubes and Catted H-pipe -- SLP "Loudmouth" Catback w/ MRT Blackchrome Tips -- Illumina Struts / Shocks w/ MRT Rear Race Springs -- UPR Tubular Coilover K-member Kit -- Steeda Strut Brace, 4-bolt CC Plates, Alum Weightjacker LCAs, Adj UCAs -- MM Panhard Bar -- FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft & 3.73 Gear -- Racing Sparco Lightweight Wheels -- Hurst Roll Control
hotrodnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #8
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodnut View Post
What's everybody's opinion of using thread seal tape?

I have used that before and had no issues. As long as when wrapping the threads you keep the first couple threads free of it so none will get into the fluid.
If you want to that's ok but unnecessary.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
canadianmach1

Thread seal tape is for pipe tread. The banjo bolt uses the copper washer as a seal. No need to use anything but that.
bbk longtubes, bbk xpipe , slp powerflo catback, EMP Stewart water pump, h&r springs , tokico adjustable shocks, php spacer, 4drilled/slotted rotors, , vortech with air/air, Anderson powerpipe, cobra tank/pumps, ford racing t56 6spd, mgw shifter,center force clutch, 410 gears , moser axles, ford racing carrier ,steeda alum lower control arms ,cobra bumper , and mirrors
canadianmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #10
hotrodnut
Mach 1 Hot Rod Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmach1 View Post
Thread seal tape is for pipe tread. The banjo bolt uses the copper washer as a seal. No need to use anything but that.
Ok, got it, thanks.

I used it when installing the Hurst Roll Control but figured it'd be good for the Banjo Bolt too.

2003 TR

Pro-5.0 Shifter, Hurst Stick -- K&N Air Filter -- Predator canned tune -- BBK Long Tubes and Catted H-pipe -- SLP "Loudmouth" Catback w/ MRT Blackchrome Tips -- Illumina Struts / Shocks w/ MRT Rear Race Springs -- UPR Tubular Coilover K-member Kit -- Steeda Strut Brace, 4-bolt CC Plates, Alum Weightjacker LCAs, Adj UCAs -- MM Panhard Bar -- FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft & 3.73 Gear -- Racing Sparco Lightweight Wheels -- Hurst Roll Control
hotrodnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #11
Bruisbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mach1 View Post
Im sorry...I misread that you were talking about the smaller bolt going into the brakeline. Like in my head I knew thats what you were talking about, but in my head for some reason I had the larger bolt that attaches the caliper bracket to car...
Bruisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #12
mikeracing
MECHANIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmach1 View Post
Actually teflon tape (thread seal tape) Works wonders when ever using mis matched metals to keep from gauling the softer metal. I have used it for years on ac fitting where aluminum on aluminum has a tendancy to cross thread or gall
mikeracing is offline   Reply With Quote