2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 01-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
LXS

I need a new rack and pinion, help please?!

So first off, I’ve done some research on google, here, and over at SVT performance. I’m aware of the parts store reman stuff and how one may get a v6 or GT rack and pinion instead of a Mach 1 part. I’m interested in the rack and pinion that LMR has (https://lmr.com/item/LRS-3504E-K/mus...-rack-kit-9904), has anyone used it? Any feedback from it? Also, what is the turn ratio on our original rack and pinions? The LMR unit is a 15:1 and I believe I seen that Flaming River also has a 15:1, along with a faster 12:1 (if memory serves me right) and a much slower 20:1 units. I really don’t feel like spending upwards of a thousand dollars on a rack and pinion, so Flaming River is definitely out of the question lol I took a look at the OPR rack over at American Muscle, and noticed that it says it won’t fit a Mach 1 🤷🏻*♂️ If rebuilding my original rack is best overall, does anyone have a place they recommend in/around Los Angeles? Thanks and I appreciate all the help, info and advice I can get!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
t45 swap (BEST decision of my life!!!)
Don't fear the gear!

I'm not a real mechanic, I just play one online...
LXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
fastlane

Re: I need a new rack and pinion, help please?!

Have you thought about picking up a Cobra reman rack like Summit offers? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...odel/svt-cobra

Or jump on Summit Racing and search for "2004 FORD MUSTANG Cardone Remanufactured Rack and Pinion Units 22-2000"

You get the firmer feel and a a better overall unit. The prices are bad either. The housing should be stamped with the ZM code ensuring it is an actual Cobra rack.
fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
LXS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
Have you thought about picking up a Cobra reman rack like Summit offers? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...odel/svt-cobra

Or jump on Summit Racing and search for "2004 FORD MUSTANG Cardone Remanufactured Rack and Pinion Units 22-2000"

You get the firmer feel and a a better overall unit. The prices are bad either. The housing should be stamped with the ZM code ensuring it is an actual Cobra rack.
Honestly, it never crossed my mind to look into Summit! Do you (or anyone else) happen to know how it compares to LMR or any other units out there? I’ll definitely look into Summit for sure, thanks!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
fastlane

Both my brother and I have used them and they have been top quality.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:

Thanks for this!
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
j rick kirby

Many people who have purchased the so called remaned Cobra racks have found that you have no better chance of getting a real Cobra rack with the correct internals than you do just picking the rack for your year car. There was an article about this a few years ago in MM&FF and the remanufacturers just throw all of the internals in a bin and you get what ever the tech pulls out of the bin. This was verified by MM's Jack Hidley and he gave the name of a reman company you can send your rack to and supposedly they will actually rebuild your rack.When I get home on Tuesday I can get that info from my file and post it if you are interested.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #7
j rick kirby

Quote:

This insures that the housing is Cobra but the internals are a crap shoot.
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
fastlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
This insures that the housing is Cobra but the internals are a crap shoot.
This is true but I am just speaking from own experience that they have been quality units. I have had bad experiences using remans from the likes of Autozone and O'Reilly's but the ones I have used from Summit have been good to me so far.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #9
LXS

Quote:
Many people who have purchased the so called remaned Cobra racks have found that you have no better chance of getting a real Cobra rack with the correct internals than you do just picking the rack for your year car. There was an article about this a few years ago in MM&FF and the remanufacturers just throw all of the internals in a bin and you get what ever the tech pulls out of the bin. This was verified by MM's Jack Hidley and he gave the name of a reman company you can send your rack to and supposedly they will actually rebuild your rack.When I get home on Tuesday I can get that info from my file and post it if you are interested.
That would be much appreciated, thanks!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-20-2019, 06:32 AM   #10
j rick kirby

Quote:
This is true but I am just speaking from own experience that they have been quality units. I have had bad experiences using remans from the likes of Autozone and O'Reilly's but the ones I have used from Summit have been good to me so far.
By quality unit I guess you mean they don't leak for many years.
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #11
LXS

Do you guys happen to know what the turn ratio for our cars is? Last night after work, I turned my steering wheel lock to lock, and it was about 2 1/2 turns. According to Flaming River’s site, a “standard” turn ratio is 20:1 with 4 turns lock to lock, a quick ratio is 15:1 with 3.3 turns lock to lock, and a 12:1 is 2.7 turns lock to lock. So if ours is a 12:something ratio, I’ll HAVE to avoid the units from LMR and the like with those higher turn ratios. What are your guys’ thoughts?

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #12
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXS View Post
Do you guys happen to know what the turn ratio for our cars is? Last night after work, I turned my steering wheel lock to lock, and it was about 2 1/2 turns. According to Flaming River’s site, a “standard” turn ratio is 20:1 with 4 turns lock to lock, a quick ratio is 15:1 with 3.3 turns lock to lock, and a 12:1 is 2.7 turns lock to lock. So if ours is a 12:something ratio, I’ll HAVE to avoid the units from LMR and the like with those higher turn ratios. What are your guys’ thoughts?
15.3:1 according to tech specs on this website.
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
311-420
Can't be bridled

If my wheel is pointed straight, I can get just a c-hair past 1.25 turns before it locks to either the left or right.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #14
fastlane

Quote:
By quality unit I guess you mean they don't leak for many years.
No leaks, squeaks, rattles, firm feel, tracked true, etc. Take it for what it's worth. I have been happy with them for daily driving. My race car uses a Flaming River manual rack if that makes a difference but for the money, I haven't been disappointed with the Summit racks.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #15
LXS

Quote:
15.3:1 according to tech specs on this website.
15.3?! That’s interesting! Do manufacturers use different methods to get their ratios? Sorry, I know I’m hung up at the moment with ratios and stuff, I just don’t want to buy and install a rack that’s not to our car’s specs. So in other words, if my stock rack takes 2 1/2 turns of the steering wheel to go lock to lock, I do NOT want a rack that’ll take more than that to go lock to lock. I want the same or better (if possible), and don’t want to spend close to a grand to get it.

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #16
LXS

I’m thinking I might go with the Summit unit. My Mach is my daily and my drive to and from work (50 miles round trip) is getting a LOT worse! It actually scares me to go past 60mph, that’s how bad it’s getting. I still want the info from j Rick Kirby tho! I don’t plan on getting rid of my stock rack and do want to have it rebuilt and stored for the future if ever needed!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #17
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
I'd be interested as well.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #18
j rick kirby

Forgot to bring that rack rebuilding info. I'll try again.
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #19
not a gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXS View Post
Honestly, it never crossed my mind to look into Summit! Do you (or anyone else) happen to know how it compares to LMR or any other units out there? I’ll definitely look into Summit for sure, thanks!

Not sure if still needed, but I have one that came with 03 Cobra motor I bought, notagt@gmail.com
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #20
LXS

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
Not sure if still needed, but I have one that came with 03 Cobra motor I bought, notagt@gmail.com
Thanks for the offer but I ended up ordering the unit from Summit.

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!