2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 04-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
davisenvy

Help deciding on an exhaust

I'm looking for an exhaust for my Mach 1. I just sold a 2001 Mustang GT that had shorty headers, off road X and SLP1. The exhaust was on there when I bought the car and thought it sounded ridiculous. It was way too loud, raspy and embarrassing. I then had Flowmaster 40 series welded in and thought that sound was just about perfect. I want to change things up on this car and from the videos that I have listened to I'm considering a Bassani or maybe even Magnaflow Magnapack. I like the muscle car sound, not the loud raspy rattle of the SLP1. My current set up is completely stock and will be replacing the mid pipe also. Am I on the right track?
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Re: Help deciding on an exhaust

The x midpipes really bring out the rasp in any setup. Go with a catted or off road H midpipe. If you're afraid of it being too loud, you could try the regular Magnaflow as opposed to the Magnapacks.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

I had magnapacks and loved the sound. I think I had a stock midpipe and they were still loud but most everyone loved em. They do drone on the highway though, it only bothered me on my 650 mile trips.

Then I ran a catted bassanni mid with steeda catback. To me the steeda sounds like stock but louder

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
davisenvy

My plan was to go with an off road H pipe and Bassani exhaust. That is until I heard the Magnapack with an X. I know they are two different sound, but both sound good. For the life of me I just don't want the SLP sound again. Some may like it, but it's not for me.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

I always thought SLP was loud for the sake of loud, the actual sound sucked

Old 04-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
311-420
Can't be bridled

The SLP powerflo catback sounds good, so do the steeda catbacks and magnaflow catbacks. They all have the highest flow characteristics (straight thru design) with a sweet growl and zero rasp, no matter what type of mid pipe you use. The larger size of the muffler casing along with the packing material inside eliminate the unwanted rasp. The full stainless steel construction also gives a beautiful "ring" that aluminized steel doesn't.

Magnapacks sound good, but only with a stock 4 cat mid pipe. Aftermarket H pipe or x, catted or offroad, doesn't make one bit of difference, will give off rasp with glasspacks or resonators. The rasp people mention is caused when you pair an aftermarket mid pipe with glasspacks (aka stingers, magnapacks, slp lm2) or resonators (lm1).

Slp lm1 isn't a muffler, it's not even a glasspack. It's just a resonator. The only way those may be tolerable is with the stock 4 cat mid pipe.

I use the magnaflow catback and love it. It drones a bit on the highway, but they all do. Some more than others, but these are a good compromise. Not until ford went to an axel back design (on the 05+ cars), which moves the mufflers to the back side of the rear end, did the drone issue get "resolved".
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
davisenvy

This is good information. I listen to the SLP on the computer and it sounds pretty good, but I know better after having them. When I cut them off they were just hollow inside. I definitely want to go with an aftermarket X or H for the power gains so you just narrowed down my options. I don't drive the car all that much so drone doesn't bother me, just no rasp.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
The SLP powerflo catback sounds good, so do the steeda catbacks and magnaflow catbacks. They all have the highest flow characteristics (straight thru design) with a sweet growl and zero rasp, no matter what type of mid pipe you use. The larger size of the muffler casing along with the packing material inside eliminate the unwanted rasp. The full stainless steel construction also gives a beautiful "ring" that aluminized steel doesn't.

Magnapacks sound good, but only with a stock 4 cat mid pipe. Aftermarket H pipe or x, catted or offroad, doesn't make one bit of difference, will give off rasp with glasspacks or resonators. The rasp people mention is caused when you pair an aftermarket mid pipe with glasspacks (aka stingers, magnapacks, slp lm2) or resonators (lm1).

Slp lm1 isn't a muffler, it's not even a glasspack. It's just a resonator. The only way those may be tolerable is with the stock 4 cat mid pipe.

I use the magnaflow catback and love it. It drones a bit on the highway, but they all do. Some more than others, but these are a good compromise. Not until ford went to an axel back design (on the 05+ cars), which moves the mufflers to the back side of the rear end, did the drone issue get "resolved".
interesting info, never knew there was a sound quality reason to put the muffler after the axle, I assumed it to be a packaging issue.

Although I dont like your post about magnapacks not sounding good with anything but the stock midpipe as I have longtubes with a single cats in the midpipe. I had been thinking about trying them again

Old 04-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #9
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
interesting info, never knew there was a sound quality reason to put the muffler after the axle, I assumed it to be a packaging issue.

Although I dont like your post about magnapacks not sounding good with anything but the stock midpipe as I have longtubes with a single cats in the midpipe. I had been thinking about trying them again
I've never heard that from a ford exec or anything, but it makes sense when you consider how the mustang got "cushier" in 2005. The newer cars, afterall, seem to be quieter on the inside versus our cars and the ones before. Aftermarket exhaust sure as heck hasn't gotten any quieter. All the newer performance cars have been built with higher regards to NVH than before and they've all gone to axle back exhausts. I have a hard time believing it's all a coincidence, but I could be wrong.

I wish I could report differently about the magnapacks, but I can't. They sound phenomenal at light throttle pressure, but squeeze it above 2k and rasp rears it's ugly head. I really took notice of it while watching my car get dyno'd years ago when I was n/a.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #10
bristol16

I think a lot of the rasp comes from the midpipe. X-pipe have more of a raspy sound and H-pipe have a deeper sound to them on these cars. Beyond that, i think ford designed their modular V8s to have that hollow, gutless, raspy sound...that's just how they all are. The h-pipe makes it closer to a deeper muscle car tone, but it's still what people seem to be looking for on the other end of the spectrum that they have affectionately referred to as "exotic" sounding. If the offroad X-pipe didn't strike your fancy a catted H may do the trick with a similar setup.
bristol16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
AlloyPony

I have a MAC O/R H-pipe and factory Mach 1 cat-back. It's surprisingly loud and it sounds a m a z i n g under moderate throttle outside the car. There is zero drone inside the car and cruising is very manageable. Still, when I get on the throttle it sounds beautiful. I was very surprised what a difference the H-pipe made.

I've been looking at aftermarket cat-backs, but everytime I drive the car I think "this is perfect".

All the other guys in our group run the SLP stuff. Personally I hate it. Sounds raspy and cackly and "cheap" in my opinion.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
davisenvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
I have a MAC O/R H-pipe and factory Mach 1 cat-back. It's surprisingly loud and it sounds a m a z i n g under moderate throttle outside the car. There is zero drone inside the car and cruising is very manageable. Still, when I get on the throttle it sounds beautiful. I was very surprised what a difference the H-pipe made.

I've been looking at aftermarket cat-backs, but everytime I drive the car I think "this is perfect".

All the other guys in our group run the SLP stuff. Personally I hate it. Sounds raspy and cackly and "cheap" in my opinion.
Do you have a video or sound clip of your car? I accidentally came across your exact set up a while back and can't find the vid anymore.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #13
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post

I remember when I first got my Mach back in 2012, I remember hearing an 02 2V with stock mufflers and a Magnaflow offroad X pipe setup and was amazed at how good it sounded. I remember being mad that the previous owner had cut out the mufflers and welded in straight pieces of pipe on what was a Flowmaster catback. I really wanted to try stock catback with an offroad midpipe setup lol.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #14
LXS

I’m running what used to be a catted Magnaflow x pipe (it’s O/R now, cats blew out), and a MAC catback...I absolutely LOVE IT!! About two years ago the driver’s side tail pipe broke on me while driving on the freeway. I pulled over right away and luckily that last hanger saved my pipe from flying off onto the freeway. Anyway, I ended up unbolt/removing the pass’ side tail and ran it like it had “dumps.” I actually really liked the way it sounded! Only thing I hate was that the exhaust flange for the tailpipe would rattle. About 3 weeks ago I finally gave in and took the Mach to DMC exhaust (Azusa, CA), and had then fix what broke. I’m still in love with my sound!!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
t45 swap (BEST decision of my life!!!)
Don't fear the gear!

I'm not a real mechanic, I just play one online...

Last edited by LXS; 04-24-2019 at 05:43 PM.
LXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #15
bris09

May I suggest MRT catted or off-road H-pipe with the MRT catback. Have the combo on the Cobra and it gets a lot of compliments. It really brings out the distinct sound of the 4-valve engines. It is on the deep side while not being obnoxious. Or if you are willing to wait, Scott is going to be working on a revised catback for our cars that will be louder. The goal is to try to use the mufflers from his 2015 and up system. Target for completion is Aug or Sept. On the Coyote motors the mufflers sound frickin awesome, want to see how they will sound (providing good fitment) on the 4.6 engines. We're thinking deeper and less rasp than the Coyote since their head design makes them more raspy.
Enough to not be the slowest, but nowhere near enough to be the fastest.

17 Fusion Sport
Now faster than the Mach

96 Laser Red Cobra Vert
For those days you just wanna cruise with the top down

89 Shelby CSX
Still rocking the VNT and Fiberides.
bris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #16
Just1More

I'd agree with others on going with an H pipe instead of an X in order to get the deeper tone. For what it's worth, you might even consider the Borla Stingers. Of course I'm partial to them as that's what I started with. And since the longtubes, the catted H seems to keep the tone. When I swap it out for the catless, it gets much louder and the rasp comes out.
13 V6: Wife's aka Kermit (Gotta have it green), MCA package

Gone but not forgotten:
03 SVT focus (loved that little buggy)
99 Contour SVT
85 Pontiac STE (factory electronic suspension and a dash like rad racer)
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #17
Recon

I plan on going with Bassani when I get my IRS installed, the exhaust for sra I’m probably going with powerflo. I have headers and a catted X, so hopefully it’ll sound good. Though I’d much rather have an H this is what was on the car when I bought it.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:55 PM   #18
67bigblock

How is the fittment of the MRT H pipe?
Bolt in bolt out?
No issues?
And what Cat-back would compliment it?
Thnx
04 F250 Harley Edition Orange/Black
04 F350 Harley Edition Black/Black
67bigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #19
67bigblock

^^
Any help would be appreciated.
The last time I did this was years ago on much less “tested” and RD’d data.
Thank you
04 F250 Harley Edition Orange/Black
04 F350 Harley Edition Black/Black
67bigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #20
GONEN6T

Magnaflow X pipe, no cats, Flowmaster 40’s out of a junkyard off a Mustang......

Loud and proud
1961 Econoline PU bagged
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1970 Chevy Blazer 2wd 496 stroker
1973 Plymouth Cuda 340
GONEN6T is offline   Reply With Quote