2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Power Adders

Power Adders Superchargers, Turbos, Nitrous, etc...

Old 01-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
SparksMach1
Shitin 'n Gitin

Finally started the build!

Just got back from the shop (horsepower by herman) and bought my block, got the BOSS 5.0 modular.
Going with 9.2:1 compression, and matched with a small KB or 2.3 whipple, haven't decided yet, going to keep it low power, around 550 to the wheels. Soon to follow is the T-56 Magnum with the 2.97 1st ratio and some custom comp blower cams similar to the stage 3's.

Putting the Mach on the lift tonight or tomorrow morning at my buddies house to drop the motor/k-member and send it off to the machine shop.

More info to follow as the build continues.

442/435 @ the rear ALL MOTOR -Race Gas
FRPP BOSS 5.0 block, 10.6:1 compression, Manley H-Beams; Diamond flat-top pistons, P&P heads W/ 5-angle valve job & ARP Head studs, PP upper/lower intake, Comp Stage 2 N/A cams, FR500 springs, valves, and followers, Tube K with coilovers and Bilsteins, Kooks, Stingers, 2.97 T-56 Magnum, 31 Spline Superior axles & Auburn-pro dif, built battle boxes, KB BAP w/ 39lb injectors, and 4:10's.
SparksMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
halemach1

Re: Finally started the build!

Whipple ftw!
halemach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
JDWmustangs

Sounds awsome, whipple all the way!!!
JDWmustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Mach828
Dark Knight

Twin 57s

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Scott McClure
Mach1 member

Why an expensive block only to keep the power around 550?

2003 Mach 1 Whipple 2.3 718 rwhp 735 rwtq @25 psi SOLD
Scott McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
YellowMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McClure View Post
Why an expensive block only to keep the power around 550?
What he said. I'm about 550 with an iron 4.6 block bored and stroked. Probably could have gotten there without the boring even.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
quikcobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
Twin 57s
+2 but he wants to stay around 550 rwhp so no need for the turbo's.
quikcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
SparksMach1
Shitin 'n Gitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McClure View Post
You can throw all the money you have into it and build it as strong as humanly possible, that still wont guarantee something wont break. Again your spending an awful lot of money on a block that you don't plan on pushing too it's limits.
Yeah I agree with you Scott, but it seems logically that if i buy the best parts available, it should not only hold a ton of power, but also have the longevity that i'm looking for.

FRPP BOSS 5.0 block, 10.6:1 compression, Manley H-Beams; Diamond flat-top pistons, P&P heads W/ 5-angle valve job & ARP Head studs, PP upper/lower intake, Comp Stage 2 N/A cams, FR500 springs, valves, and followers, Tube K with coilovers and Bilsteins, Kooks, Stingers, 2.97 T-56 Magnum, 31 Spline Superior axles & Auburn-pro dif, built battle boxes, KB BAP w/ 39lb injectors, and 4:10's.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
orangemach23
500HP HYBRID

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparksMach1 View Post
Just got back from the shop (horsepower by herman) and bought my block, got the BOSS 5.0 modular.
Going with 9.2:1 compression, and matched with a small KB or 2.3 whipple, haven't decided yet, going to keep it low power, around 550 to the wheels. Soon to follow is the T-56 Magnum with the 2.97 1st ratio and some custom comp blower cams similar to the stage 3's.

Putting the Mach on the lift tonight or tomorrow morning at my buddies house to drop the motor/k-member and send it off to the machine shop.

More info to follow as the build continues.

Awesome build man! I am jealous and Whipple FTW!!!!! Keep us posted once it's all done and running!!!!
461 rwhp/ 462 rwtq *on the stock bottom end*
"BOOST IS MY DRUG!"
orangemach23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
Brain
I drive it!

It took me 6 months to get my machine work done by an uncles friend. I think these guys only do overtime on their own projects. Not much respect for the customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
306 rwhp 317 rwtq
06 Mach1 Shootout Bracket 1st Place
06 Mach1 Shootout Super Street N/A 1st Place Sorry Dan, you have to enter the class to win.
05 Mach 1 Shootout Super Street N/A 1st Place
04 Mach 1 Shootout 8.0 ET 1st Place
04 Mach 1 Shootout Fastest Mach 1
04 Turbo Mustang Shootout 3rd Place 12.0 sec
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
SparksMach1
Shitin 'n Gitin

Called the shop again today.... they said the machine shop is closed all this week for the holidays??? So pretty much it will be week 4 since they got the cams and before I get the stuff back from the machine shop.... can anybody tell me that has done this before, how long does it take to put cams in heads? I don't think it would take any more than an hour.... and if the performance shop is planning on putting the engine together (short block and heads are apparently done and already assembled, minus dropping the cams in) why would we be waiting for the machine shop to drop 4 cams in the heads if he has the knowledge to put the entire engine together? Is it some kind of complex process? He said he is going to degree them in and everything during the assembly process. I think it's a stall technique that he's using because of some other issue.

So 4 weeks to do what I assume is an hour job. FML

Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
Stopsign32v

Welcome to the world of having other people build a motor for you. Just relax and look forward to it, it will be worth the wait.

If you are close by stop by the shop. If you aren't close by then that's your main problem. Here is a short story...

I drove my car down 8 hours to a shop in Florida to have a turbo kit installed. 2 months later I was PISSED and said if something wasn't done I was going to come get the car how it sat and pay them nothing. They hurried and a week later I got a phone call that the car was done by the owner's wife. The next day at 11am I was at the airport in Florida in a taxi to get my car. I get there and he says "What are you doing here? Your car isn't done...the transmission mount doesn't line up, the hood wont close, and some other stuff. I basically told him "Well it better get done because I'm driving this thing home". He finished it while I was there and on the way home in Savannah my charge pipe blew off in the fender. I had no tools and had to fix it with my keys. Just calm down and take a breather...it can be worse.

JLT RAI | 1/2 spacer | Catback | 4.56s

7.76@87.8mph
Stopsign32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
chernandez88

I waited 4 months to get my cams in a motor as well in a machine shop. So the guy who did my last motor is a reputable mechanic and he assembled it himself. Its hard to find someone like him, he promised me the car on a specific day and he worked the last days on it till about 12 pm at night so he can meet the deadline and he didn't charge a penny extra. But if your motor is in a machine shop, don't rush to much, especially when it comes to timing the motor, a dumb mistake and it will cost you to pull out the motor and spend extra bucks. Also make sure you never pay the whole amount of money upfront if not they will take their sweet time.

Single 74mm Borg Warner S400
980HP-925TQ @ 25.8PSI & 15 degree Timing
chernandez88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:33 AM   #14
XSELLR8
Mach-o-holic

^^^^ I've had issues like that when I had a quarter panel replaced on my 97 Stang. If you thought they treated your car like it wasn't their own in the first place, you don't want to put a fire under them and have it get slapped together. I DO, however, understand your frustration of unnecessary delays!
Sorry to hear about the stolen transmission

Any reason you went with the Boss block over another option? Sounds like weight and durability were important, but the Boss isn't a blown car, so I'm just curious what info you found out to make your decision i.e price, you liked the name Boss, it was rated at 800 HP etc.
4.10s too

2004 Cobra Screaming Yellow
2.3L Whipple

Gear install vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrAIDCpbDI
Clutch Replacement Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFr0Rur_EWc
Wideband Install Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmL1KBmWyhg

Last edited by XSELLR8; 11-27-2011 at 12:48 PM.
XSELLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
SparksMach1
Shitin 'n Gitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernandez88 View Post
I waited 4 months to get my cams in a motor as well in a machine shop. So the guy who did my last motor is a reputable mechanic and he assembled it himself. Its hard to find someone like him, he promised me the car on a specific day and he worked the last days on it till about 12 pm at night so he can meet the deadline and he didn't charge a penny extra. But if your motor is in a machine shop, don't rush to much, especially when it comes to timing the motor, a dumb mistake and it will cost you to pull out the motor and spend extra bucks. Also make sure you never pay the whole amount of money upfront if not they will take their sweet time.
its funny, the guy is just putting the cams in the heads, he isn't degreeing them or anything, just literally placing the cams in the heads. that seems like the easy part!