2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > Surveys & POLLS

Surveys & POLLS Post Registry-wide gerneral surveys and polls here.

View Poll Results: Do You Give Money To Street People?
Yes 3 12.00%
Hell No! 22 88.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Do You Give Money To Street People?

I've absolutely had it up to my eyeballs with these people. At intersections, at convenience stores, at gas stations, at the grocery store, outside of fast food places. I wish they would make this illegal, like in Las Vegas.

Why would you give money away when you don't even know where your money is going? If you feel so giving, then give your money to a legitimate charity. At least then you know your money will be put to good use.

And don't fall for the "Veteran" ploy. Yeah, maybe some of them are actual veterans, but I busted one guy cold. He asked me how he could convince me he's a military member so I would give him gas money to get to his military base. I told him to show me his military I.D. His answer: "I left it at home". Anyone that served in the military knows you absolutely never go anywhere without your military I.D. BUSTED!!

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
NTMAREMACH
A NITEMARE IN MASS

Re: Do You Give Money To Street People?

Here's an article that was in a local paper the other day. The problem is everywhere.

EDITORIAL: Help a panhandler -- just say no
Sentinel & Enterprise
UPDATED: 06/11/2016 08:55:02 AM EDT

RELATED STORIES
Jun 6:
Residents: Fitchburg, Leominster stepping up to stop begging
Jun 3:
Twin Cities seek help in deterring panhandling
"Just Say No." The anti-drug slogan that first lady Nancy Reagan spawned in 1982 has been adopted unofficially by the cities of Fitchburg and Leominster.

Only the Twin Cities want you to just say no to panhandling. More specifically, they want you to just say no to panhandlers who ask for money.

That's because cities cannot legally just say no to panhandling. Municipalities such as Worcester and Lowell have tried that, and their ordinances were struck down on the grounds of free speech.

So Fitchburg and Leominster are trying a different approach, targeting the panhandlers' supply source -- people perhaps like you who have a spare dollar or change in your pocket that you're willing to part with to help a person in need -- or maybe get him or her off your back.

The truth is, many people are intimidated by the handful of people in the Twin Cities who resort to begging on the streets, especially those who are aggressive in their efforts. They feel less safe in their community.

The idea for this public-awareness campaign came from Kevin MacLean, director of homeless services for Our Father's House in Fitchburg. You might find some irony in the fact that the region's biggest homeless advocate is urging you not to give money to beggars, but MacLean confirms what many people suspect -- that any money panhandlers collect goes not toward food or housing but for alcohol or drugs.

Fitchburg Police Chief Ernest Martineau agreed with MacLean.

Advertisement

"We can say with 99 percent certainty that it's not going toward food or housing," said Martineau. "The only way to control it is for people to stop giving money (and) we need the public's help with this."

Posters MacLean created to spread the word about the campaign urge people to instead consider giving to a local charity that helps the homeless.

Still, people who were raised to give to the poor might struggle with this campaign. After all, Jesus preached that "... as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." Not a few Christians who look in the eyes of a panhandler see the face of Christ.

Nonetheless, we believe MacLean and Martineau when they say that giving money to panhandlers does not help them at all; rather, it keeps them on the streets, addicted to alcohol and drugs, and living under bridges.

Trust MacLean and Martineau's instincts if not your own: Just say no to panhandlers.

Read more: http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com...#ixzz4BKaQojn4
NTMAREMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:47 PM   #3
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

I agree. It's getting out of hand. Every day, every corner. People with a sign. Clean shaven, well dressed, name brand shoes. When I was a kid every once in a while I would see a truly homeless person outside of a store asking for cash. Long hair and beard, holes in clothes, could smell them from 10 feet away. Someone like that I used to give a couple of bucks to, but these D-Bags on the corners trying to make a witty sign to get money instead of spending that same amount of time working just gets on my nerves.
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:26 AM   #4
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

They can supposedly afford to buy a car, but can't afford the gas to put in it, and they're smoking $7.00 a pack cigarettes. Wake up people. Does that make any sense?

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Some years ago I watched one walk away from his 'post', only to get into a very new Firebird and drive away. The latest version around here is to actually come up to people in grocery store parking lots with, all with a similar story. I tell them I don't carry cash, only plastic. They get less friendly and storm off.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
bluoval

Yes I have given money before and it's likely I will do it again. It's my money and my choice, right? Save your judgment, please. I follow my heart and have no regrets. You think you have it bad, there are thousands of children (yes, in this country) who are homeless and need our support. Take me an hour to explain the circumstances. Yes, even you could be homeless someday. Those who never believe it will happen to them could be first in line with an unwelcomed awakening. Bless you all and go bless someone else.
bluoval is offline   Reply With Quote