2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 10-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Iocane2099

Engine Harness melted?

I took in my car because it was drawing amps and draining the battery, turns out part of my engine harness melted and caused a short. Has anybody had any issues like that? I never heard of this before. Apparently it also melted the pins to my abs control module and I think it's also the reason my license plate light melted through the plastic.
Mods: Intake Spacer, JLT Ram Air, SLP Catted X, SLP LM II, MGW Orange Shifter, Hurst White Ball, 4.10's, 31 Spline FRPP Cobra Carrier, FRPP Axles, Aluminum DS, Drilled/slotted rotors, 18x9 18x10 Black DD Bullitts, 295/35/18 and 275/35/18 Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
Iocane2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Shane@TM
Toledo Mustangs

Re: Engine Harness melted?

sounds kind of crazy. i know when i put tranny's back in cars you have to be very carful with wiring down there. bumps, wind, things like that can bump wires onto the block or tranny. after rebuilds me and my dad do we always put that black plastic tube shits over the wires. the name of it slips my mind. best of luck.
CRT PERFORMANCE TUNED
Shane@TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
YellowMenace

Re: Engine Harness melted?

Some time after I swapped a 2000 v6 engine into my 94 v6 mustang, my harness came loose from the little tab on the tranny and fell over into the exhaust.

I'm guessing that since your didn't mention it, your harness melted from the inside rather than by falling on something hot.

I did have a short in my horn switch on a 69 F100 back in the day. The dang thing blew until I opened the hood and yanked the wire out of the horn. It was starting to melt.