2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 10-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
ryanscobra

opinions needed!!

so far my mods are jlt rai, high flow catted pypes x pipe, sss terminator catback, and custom intake spacer. I am looking for my next mod which will either be a bbk tb, ud pulleys, or coil packs. i have tr55 ngk plugs right now. i have heard horror stories about ud pulleys and some bad stories about bbk tb's. im leaning more towards coil packs but not sure if they are worth the price for the performance i would get. i have a handheld tuner for all the mods fyi. what do you all think?
ryanscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Machy uno

Re: opinions needed!!

Do you have a Mach 1 or a cobra as your name would suggest? I'm going to assume a Mach since you're on a Mach site.

As to the ud pulleys, thats a toss up. Some will swear that they have caused failures, and some will swear they are safe. Bottom line is people who have had them installed on the car have had issues, more so then those who don't have them. The hp increase they give you is not worth the potential engine problems in my opinion.

BBK throttle body.... the biggest problem isn't with the idea, but the application. Numerous people have stated it's not out of the box. A lot of modifying, fiddeling, tightening, lossening, and lubricating to get this to work. It's build quality seems to be sub-par from what others have run across. I've seen enough threads about people having issues with them out of the box that I've stayed away from this as well. Once everything works out, they seem to offer a decent increase in performance. I'm not afraid of doing things myself, but buying a part that requires you to do so much work for that much money? Not happening for me when the quality is in question.

Coil-packs. I don't think you'll see much gain from doing this. I wouldn't say the money is worth it, but others may chime in and disagree. The stock system is good enough until you get to a significantly higher power level then what you have.

Other options....Lower Control Arms. It may seem kinda out of place for what you'er currently looking at, but trust me, being able to put the power to the ground is a huge difference. It surprised the heck out of me when I put mine on. Getting of the line and low speed jumps inproved way more than what I would have ever thought. More so then some of the other mods you already have. Not as much of an issues if you have a cobra with IRS.

4.10's. Unless you do a huge amount of highway driving between cities a long way apart, you won't see too big of a deal mpg. This will give your car a huge increase in acceleration. A few hundred bucks plus a sat if you can do it yourself.

Gone but NOT FORGOTTEN
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/330262
Machy uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
311-420
Can't be bridled

Have it dyno tuned by the most reputable person you can get it to
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Mach828
Dark Knight

None of the above. No real gains from UDP, coil packs, or the TB.

Go with gears and a custom dyno tune. Or if you have the money, cams.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:08 AM   #5
japan4racing
not builted

UDP - waste of time and money for very minimal gains and possible problems down the road.

BBK TB - the throttle body is only as good as the air you can put through it. with a fairly stock car you will see minimal gains and probably end up with a vac leak or sticky throttle body. Just keep the stock throttle body untill you can afford to get some head work, cams, and ported intake manifold and maybe a blower so you can take advantage of the larger throttle body.

coil packs- Unless you are blowing out your spark with your current mods you are wasting money on aftermarket coil packs. The stock ones are fine, especially for a mostly stock car.

cliff notes: dont buy any of those things

get some gears and a tune and enjoy way more more and drivability than any of the mods you listed will ever give you.
2004 Torch Red Mach 1 - C&L cai, Kooks longtubes, Kooks o/r x-pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Roy's 1/2" spacer, FRPP aluminum d/s, FRPP 4.10's, FRPP billet F/W, Ram HDX, MGW orange handle, H&R Super Sports
japan4racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
SparksMach1
Shitin 'n Gitin

Gears, Dyno tune, Lower control arms... all awesome suggestions, and I agree with everyone, the three you have listed will not give you the best "bang for your buck" as far as power/driving enjoyment.

Another thing you should consider would be a short throw shifter, MGW seems to be the most liked shifter that i've ever seen, and i've been on here for a while.

I'm assuming its a stick car, but you should also look into a cutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. both awesome things to have on your car, and they aren't that expensive either.

Maximum Motorsports Full lenth subframe connectors are a good investment if you drive it like it should be driven.

aluminum driveshaft is a fairly inexpensive, VERY easy to put on piece that you will notice a difference with. Paired with a set of 4.10's or 4.30's and you are going to feel like you are driving an entirely new car.

Best of luck, let us know what you end up going with!

442/435 @ the rear ALL MOTOR -Race Gas
FRPP BOSS 5.0 block, 10.6:1 compression, Manley H-Beams; Diamond flat-top pistons, P&P heads W/ 5-angle valve job & ARP Head studs, PP upper/lower intake, Comp Stage 2 N/A cams, FR500 springs, valves, and followers, Tube K with coilovers and Bilsteins, Kooks, Stingers, 2.97 T-56 Magnum, 31 Spline Superior axles & Auburn-pro dif, built battle boxes, KB BAP w/ 39lb injectors, and 4:10's.
SparksMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
na svt

Send a PM to "neverenuff", he lives in Abilene and knows a helluva lot about these engines/cars.

A good, small diameter damper is safe and when combined with a large wp pulley and Cobra R alt and hydraboost pulleys will free up about 15rwhp. I've recommended the March 1158 small diameter damper to many people and I've heard of no failures. If the engine stays under 7k there will be no problems even with pigyback style pulleys. BTW, the march 1158 damper and large wp pulley freed up 11rwhp on my car.

TBs are a waste of money on a low hp, n/a car.

Coil packs...like previously stated, a waste of money.

By far, the best bang for the buck mod is early cobra intake cams installed at a 108lc; 20rwhp and gains of 30-35rwtq are common.

A ported intake is an option but at only 5-10rwhp for $600 or more it may not be in your budget.

Hand held tuners are good for only one thing and that's storing dyno tunes. A Dyno tune is money well spent.
na svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

listen to the guy above me

the other option is to start shedding weight

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
na svt

Gears are a great mod but aren't necessary if go with degrees cobra cams.
na svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
XSELLR8
Mach-o-holic

Man up, throw down some $, and buy some Comp Cams! Oh, sorry, I'm talking to myself again!
4.10s too

2004 Cobra Screaming Yellow
2.3L Whipple

Gear install vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrAIDCpbDI
Clutch Replacement Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFr0Rur_EWc
Wideband Install Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmL1KBmWyhg
XSELLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
WNTAMACH1
WNTAMACH1

I got some used longtubes and matching x pipe. I felt a nice gain with those 2 mods. Just get a buddy to help you install them. It took me and a buddy 7-8 hrs with many breaks in between.

2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Auto- 421/406 SOLD

2013 Ford Taurus SHO PP - Daily Driver
WNTAMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote