2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items

Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items Have a Problem? Technical Questions & Answers. HOW TO's & TSB's, Warranty Issues

Old 05-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
firebird1999us

I'm hearing a strange noise in my 2003 Mach...

It's not always there -- but occaionally after long drives I hear a sound like the CD player is changing CDs even when the radio and air conditioning are turned off. It sounds as though it's coming from the back of the car...at least I always look to the back seat when I hear it...Like I said I sometimes hear it on long drives while driving.

This isn't the dreaded head tick is it??? How can I tell when my engine was built to make sure? (The build date of the car is in my sig)

The car was purchased new in July of 2003 and currently has 21k miles, is always garaged, and has never been abused. It is currently outside of the factory warranty though -- so given that a TSB was released on head tick (in the event that might be the problem) will Ford still repair the car free of charge?

Chris
2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr hatch -- The Beater
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
4V FURY
Lite Poster

Re: I'm hearing a strange noise in my 2003 Mach...

i guess i'd start with simple things like removing the back seat to see if something was left there via the assembly line. then maybe remove the trunk liner panels next to look for a foreign object, plus pull out the spare and jack. take the car for a ride then and listen again. you could even have someone ride in the trunk and go on some bumpy roads to help recreate the noisy conditions.

the tick is a very steady tick tick tick that in my car can be heard after being driven for awhile and then only heard at idle. this does not sound like what you are describing.

do you have an aftermarket cat-back and or oversize rear tires? if so, look for evidence of contact between the two.

if nothing else you can at least eliminate these items as possibilities.

Naturally Aspirdated

Boss330 heads/cams/intake + VT 324" shortblock

11.34 @ 125.62 on ET streets

CRT-PERFORMANCE tuned

Congrats to Redliner who has taken it to a best ET of 10.97 @ 124
4V FURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
firebird1999us

Re: I'm hearing a strange noise in my 2003 Mach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by all5.0 View Post
i guess i'd start with simple things like removing the back seat to see if something was left there via the assembly line. then maybe remove the trunk liner panels next to look for a foreign object, plus pull out the spare and jack. take the car for a ride then and listen again. you could even have someone ride in the trunk and go on some bumpy roads to help recreate the noisy conditions.

the tick is a very steady tick tick tick that in my car can be heard after being driven for awhile and then only heard at idle. this does not sound like what you are describing.

do you have an aftermarket cat-back and or oversize rear tires? if so, look for evidence of contact between the two.

if nothing else you can at least eliminate these items as possibilities.
The car is 100% stock at the moment...the noise will happen about once every 2-5 minutes and sounds just like the CD player being loaded. I did come across another thread about "through-out bearings" causing a strange noise too???

Was the tick you described above what the head tick sounds like?

Chris
2009 Toyota Yaris 2dr hatch -- The Beater
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote