View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 12:50 AM   #4
SVTSnake
Mach Freak

Re: Bassani header install progress...

Got a late start today (after 2pm!). Finished up the passenger side with reinstalling the starter and motor mount. I tried installing a set of Energy Suspension poly motor mounts, but they interfered with the Bassani headers. Kind of a bummer, but oh well... Probably with the dremel I could make them fit, but didn't want to put forth the effort. Will just get a torque strap in the future.

Moved on to the driver side. Getting the the tubes in place with the driver side is a bit tricky, and the instructions were kinda backwards if you ask me. Maybe if I hadn't dropped the K the Bassani install instructions would have worked better, but for me, after installing pipe D1 which is the longest pipe, I installed D4 which is the shortest of the pipes and has the EGR. Pipe D2 went next and D3 is where it crosses back over the top of D1. I did make one booboo, and that was not reinstalling the motor mount BEFORE I had the header complete. I couldn't get the last bolt closest to the firewall to go in on the motor mount. Had to go to Home Depot to buy a slighty smaller in length 10mm X 1.50 30mm bolt and washer.

The fun part of today was trying to get my tubes out of my Bassani modular X! I forgot to put anti-sieze on the pipes before going into the cats. Needless to say after a couple 1000 miles, they were in there pretty good! Took a lot of curse words to get them out of there! However, I was not defeated in today's battle Now this is where Bassani's instructions blow chunks to say the least. When you have your stock manifolds, the longest pipe is on the passenger side and the smallest is on the drivers. So I thought that it was going to be the same with the headers in place. NOT!!!! Finally got the exhaust put back together, and remembered to use anti-sieze this time on the pipe joints.

Reinstalled the K member and power steering. I did a quick startup of the engine before leaving my in-laws and it does sound mighty sweet! Just so I can be sure to myself, if I had an exhaust leak, it would be very loud at the headers correct? All I could hear was the rush of air being sucked through my ProM 95mm and C&L intake when I went to the passenger side.

Tomorrow, I will finish reinstalling the tie rod ends, and put the suspension back together. I promise I will post my pics when I am done, and its not 12:45am!

2003 Mach 1 - Zinc Yellow
Born 06/12/03, VIN# 436142
5 Speed, IUP
312 HP, 321 FT. LBS. TRQ. (5/10/05)
SVTSnake is offline   Reply With Quote